What is your opinion of your L if you own or have owned one?

What do you think about your L or one that you previosly owned?

• I love my L

Votes: 85 94.4%
  • Not bad. Overall I like it okay

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • It's not terrible, but it's not that good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

V8Thrasher

Established Member
Mines much more fun since the t56 swap. I think i would of sold it if i didnt do that. It got very boring to drive.

Hey man..... I hope you dont mind me asking but.... how much was the T56 swap?

I LOVE my Lightning but I think it would be an even bigger blast to drive if it was manual....

did you do the swap yourself or a custom shop do it?

1time

Established Member
Just the coolest truck since the cyclone/ typhoon era

Last edited:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I bought a silver '00 Lightning new way back in 2000. I let my wife drive it and she totaled it... so I bought another identical '00. Traded it a little while later for an '03 Cobra. Sold that Cobra to buy a house. Then bought my '04 Cobra later on.

I like my Cobra, but have always missed my Lightning. It's been 12 years, but I'm finally ready to buy another one. Don't imagine I'll get rid of it this time.

I remember it being fun to drive and comfortable as a DD. Don't remember disliking much about it. I do remember the stereo being pathetic, though. Also kinda wish they had built an extended cab, but I realize why they didn't. Not really a big deal for me anyway I guess.

Can't wait to own another one! :pepper:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I bought a silver '00 Lightning new way back in 2000. I let my wife drive it and she totaled it... so I bought another identical '00. Traded it a little while later for an '03 Cobra. Sold that Cobra to buy a house. Then bought my '04 Cobra later on.

I like my Cobra, but have always missed my Lightning. It's been 12 years, but I'm finally ready to buy another one. Don't imagine I'll get rid of it this time.

I remember it being fun to drive and comfortable as a DD. Don't remember disliking much about it. I do remember the stereo being pathetic, though. Also kinda wish they had built an extended cab, but I realize why they didn't. Not really a big deal for me anyway I guess.

Can't wait to own another one! :pepper:

They did build an extended cab as well as a quad cab... Harley Davidson edition:beer:

I've only driven one(back in 2002) and it was a much smoother ride than I had anticipated. Add to the fact that the supercharger screamed like a banshee at WOT, it was a PERFECT truck. Can't say I'll add one as soon as I'd like, but I do hope to one day.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
They did build an extended cab as well as a quad cab... Harley Davidson edition:beer:

I knew the crew cab Harley trucks were supercharged, but I didn't realize some (or all?) of the extended cabs ones were too. That's cool! I like those trucks a lot. Never was a huge fan of the H-D theme, though. Not that I don't like Harleys - I just don't necessarily want their logo all over my truck (I do own a few Kawasakis but wouldn't want their logo on it, either).

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I knew the crew cab Harley trucks were supercharged, but I didn't realize some (or all?) of the extended cabs ones were too. That's cool! I like those trucks a lot. Never was a huge fan of the H-D theme, though. Not that I don't like Harleys - I just don't necessarily want their logo all over my truck (I do own a few Kawasakis but wouldn't want their logo on it, either).

I fail... I thought the extended can got a supercharger at some point, but after quick research, it appears not.

A Decade of Ford Harley-Davidson F-Trucks: Born in Detroit, Dressed in Milwaukee - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
When I bought Belle in 2005 a dream became a reality. Over the next four years my daily driver morphed from a hobby to an obsession, from an obsession to an addicition. I sold Belle in 2009 and the hole in my heart proved to be much bigger than I ever expected. Fortunately the sale of Belle came with one condition... that I get the first call in the event the buyer ever put her up for sale. The buyer and I became friends and we stayed in touch over the next two and a half years. I was estatic the day he called to let me know that he might be interested in selling her if I was interested.

Buying Belle again in December 2011 was a highlight for me despite the fact I wasn't able to focus on her until just a few months ago. I'm sure she will always be a "work in progress" but I guess that's the point. I hope and suspect that my love, passion and interest in Belle will always remain and that I am able to work towards the end-goal, whatever that is.

saleen guy

Established Member
I have had my 03 DSG, 30,000 mile L for just about 2 years now, slightly lowered, cold air intake,exhaust, drilled/slotted rotors and a crazy stereo system, I love the truck and my wife loves it more, we use it for trips to the Home Depot, farm stands and an occasional Sunday ride,I originally bought it to use as a DD but that lasted about 3 weeks, just way to nice cond for that, now it sits in the garage next to my 8,000 mile terminator and fox body saleens.

V8Thrasher

Established Member
I have had my 03 DSG, 30,000 mile L for just about 2 years now, slightly lowered, cold air intake,exhaust, drilled/slotted rotors and a crazy stereo system, I love the truck and my wife loves it more, we use it for trips to the Home Depot, farm stands and an occasional Sunday ride,I originally bought it to use as a DD but that lasted about 3 weeks, just way to nice cond for that, now it sits in the garage next to my 8,000 mile terminator and fox body saleens.

Im just curious, what kind of stereo system did you have in your L? Was it custom or .....? Because im shopping around for a good quality system but its so small in there I dont see how you can have good beefy sound? I listen to hard rock/heavy metal so none of that rap bumping here.

Jroc

Established Member
Im just curious, what kind of stereo system did you have in your L? Was it custom or .....? Because im shopping around for a good quality system but its so small in there I dont see how you can have good beefy sound? I listen to hard rock/heavy metal so none of that rap bumping here.

Buy a good head unit like a Pioneer or Clarion, some nice components, and throw a couple of 10's behind the seats with some good quality amps/amp and you can have a very nice setup in a L. Well pretty nice. I mean it's a small area to have to fill with sound.

2qwikSVT

Established Member
The ONLY thing bad I can say about my L is that here in Nebraska, it's not so fun for an all year dd. Right now we have about a foot of snow on the ground. She's just been sitting in the ol garage while I've been walking to work. In an area with little to no snow in the winter, I'd love it. Wouldn't trade the ol girl for the world though. Also, tires and gas get a little expensive for a kid. :)

saleen guy

Established Member
Buy a good head unit like a Pioneer or Clarion, some nice components, and throw a couple of 10's behind the seats with some good quality amps/amp and you can have a very nice setup in a L. Well pretty nice. I mean it's a small area to have to fill with sound.

Hi, I have pretty much what you said,it was all there when I bought the truck, a nice full touch screen pioneer head unit, upgraded Harmon Cardon door speakers and a custom F series truck speaker box with 10" speakers behind the seat, nice box, looks like it came from the factory and at least 1 amplifier under the seat ( never really looked to see what brand) but the system sounds awesome !! Plus the seller gave me all the orig stuff.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
The Lightning is the first vehicle that I truly lusted for and is what turned me into a car enthusiast. But now I'm more into "cars" as I like the handling of cars but one of the main things that makes me keep the Lightning is it's usability as a light duty truck (towing jet ski, home depot supplies, taking junk to the dump, bringing home large appliances, etc.) Plus I still have all the original docs like the window sticker and SVT certificate and doubt it would be easy find another one of the year/color that you want with all the original docs. Yea call me crazy, but, I'm more of the collector type than the modder type. I still think the lightning looks better than any newer model truck.

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
i love mine but the mofo's are expensive when you go to building.

After 7 years of ownership, the only "go fast" parts are the intake and exhaust :D Alot on suspension though (UCA, LCA, shackles, hangers, etc)

Its my DD and only vehicle so I couldnt risk it either. Its a fun DD, MPG is not bad considering what you're driving.

Gray03

Established Member
Put a Whipple on a few years ago and now it's even more fun to drive. Had a turbocharged GMC Syclone before I bought the L, but I like the L a lot more. 11 years old and it still turns heads.

Users who are viewing this thread