What is your opinion of your L if you own or have owned one?

What do you think about your L or one that you previosly owned?

• I love my L

Votes: 85 94.4%
  • Not bad. Overall I like it okay

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • It's not terrible, but it's not that good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

LightningDawg

Established Member
Bought a 2004 DSG in 2010, sold it in 2011.
Regretted doing that.
So, bought 2002 TB in 2013…

Just feels good to drive a Lightning!

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
Wouldn't trade it for the world. Bought my '04 in August of '08, wanted one since I was 12 and saw it on TNN's "powerblock". Have loved it since I test drove it. She's a 3 season vehicle, stored in winter. Thought of selling it for something bigger but couldn't justify it. When it comes out of storage every year it makes it feel like I just bought it, the exhaust that I get used to by the fall sounds amazing, brings the biggest smile to my face. I use it as a truck once in a while, towed trailers and helped friends move. She's not going anywhere and to make sure she doesn't I just bought a 2010 F150 Crew.

Last edited:

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I'm on my second Lightning and I plan to keep this one forever, I don't really plan on modding it too much further than what I've already done. It's fun to drive, especially when compared to my Civic.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
hated it

cost me a butt ton in mods
was slow
couldnt do anything a truck could
would only really seat 2 people
gas hog

but it did look dang good and sounded even better :D

i kinda miss it.

99cobradave

Established Member
I enjoy the single cab with the sliding rear window. It handles extremely well for a truck and power is thrilling. Love the supercharger whine and the exhaust makes all the right noise. I like my bed rug and toneau cover, it's almost like a sports car with a huge trunk, plus I can tow stuff if I want to. Comfy seats and clean, simple spartan interior means no stupid electronic bullshit to break all of the time.

Reading that last sentence make me sound like an old man, but damn. My other newer vehicles do nothing but have annoying malfunctions of all the neat, but ultimately useless electronic bullshit.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my biggest complaint outside of gas mileage was the front friggen suspension...bitch needed an alignment every 6 months

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I'm sorta "in-between" :

The Love & Ok Choices.....

Not a perfect "A" BUT definitely NOT a "C"

I have history with mine.... being the original owner & literally this April will make it 13 years!!!
We've trekked all over North America & O'ahu together; all the fond memories I had [solo & w/ the family] when I look @ her.....
Countless times friends & family thought I was crazy.... 'cause I would rather drive than fly.....

It has its quirks & for the most part I changed to my liking:
)The "sting-bug" rake
)The embarrassing sounding cassette deck/radio w/ external 6-disc changer
)The huge fart-can muffler that, to me, made the truck too quiet
)Limited selection of tires in OE size unless I go up to 20's
)How thirsty she is, but I think its my right foot & the gasoline blend which to me is definitely different than 10+ years ago
)Wished there was a 6-speed manual option
)The interior pieces are actually "laminated" over & not injection-molded colors

>
>>
>>>

I have been lurking here on SVTP for a long time before I decided to sign-up.... always here [as a source] for answers on issues or general inquiry....

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
A manual trans isnt that much better on mpg. I get 18 on the highway with e10 fuel. I get worse than my auto around town because I like to rev a little high before shifting.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
as a dd it can get old having a single cab all the time...just not enough room for everything (or everyone), I love having the super crew in my new truck

Yea. Luckily I have a DD as well, but, I plan to upgrade to a Shelby later this year.

I'm sure I'll miss the truck, but, I've lost passion in it after blowing the engine/minor issues along the way.

captrad

Established Member
garage queen

I have owned mine since brand new 12 yrs ago...has 56K miles, but still runs like the day I bought it. Haven't modified the pullies or tune, but have improved the cooling and air delivery. Absolutely no problems in 12 years. I love the relative exclusivity of these trucks, and the surprise many people display when a 4700 lb truck beats their ricer or bmw. I have repeatedly gone WOT in freezing temperatures, and while in OD....if you don't modify it too heavily it will take anything you can throw at it. The Ford engineers built this to take abuse (at the 400 HP level). I love this truck and will never sell it.

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
I have owned mine since brand new 12 yrs ago...has 56K miles, but still runs like the day I bought it. Haven't modified the pullies or tune, but have improved the cooling and air delivery. Absolutely no problems in 12 years. I love the relative exclusivity of these trucks, and the surprise many people display when a 4700 lb truck beats their ricer or bmw. I have repeatedly gone WOT in freezing temperatures, and while in OD....if you don't modify it too heavily it will take anything you can throw at it. The Ford engineers built this to take abuse (at the 400 HP level). I love this truck and will never sell it.

I agree, haven't had a single failure in the 6 years Ive owned it. Its been the most dependable vehicle Ive owned:beer:
I have just the normal bolt ons-pullies, exhaust, suspension, console mod- but it still drives like stock, until I hold it to the floor!

mpierson7af

Established Member
Something about the exclusiveness or rarity of the truck is what grabbed my attention. Growing up I always loved hearing supercharged engines whine on the race track...pretty sure I recorded the sound to fall asleep too... So when I heard the whine of this truck I fell even deeper in love with it. Such a cool machine, just can't beat what you get with this truck.

Posted via Topify on Android

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
I had two, sold both, regret it. These trucks are great right off the lot with minor mods. Tons of fun, and very useful. MPGs don't get bad until you really start modding, but that isn't why we mod.

My biggest complaint about these trucks? Dealing with vendors/tuners. I do regret going built and having to depend on others to get it running right/reliably. I would love to have another one, clean, lowered and otherwise unmolested. Great vehicle overall though. Loved them.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, haven't had a single failure in the 6 years Ive owned it. Its been the most dependable vehicle Ive owned:beer:
I have just the normal bolt ons-pullies, exhaust, suspension, console mod- but it still drives like stock, until I hold it to the floor!

They are reliable.

Only issues I've ever had were my own fault/mods.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
So far just had the Alt last year take a crap. other than that, she's been good to me for the past 3 years. I did an alignment not to long ago buti did buy /install new upper control arms, ball joints, shocks and such. And with new shoes, i didn't want to take a chance.

Oh and when I sold my first 03 back in 04....i did regret it. Especially evertime i saw a Lightning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread