What is your daily beater? Do you enjoy it?

Dusten

Established Member
Ok 3rd trans. Now I believe you. :). I’ve had 2 4.0 explorers and both trannies went out just after 100k.

That 300k limited trans is a factory freak.
My 4.0 ranger has 165k on the stock 5r55, lets hope it lasts a while. Its my kids

josephcostello

Established Member
2004 Volvo XC70. Bought it from auction as a minor wreck and bought a parts car to fix it. Got it with 68k miles, have around $2500 into it, now it's at 86k. I know these cars pretty well and have parted out a couple so I have plenty of parts if it breaks. Probably gonna drive it till 200k and then give it somebody in need when I upgrade. Great car.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
99 Explorer 5.0 Limited. Just hit 200k miles, runs great, but Ive owned it for 5 years now and Im ready for something a bit newer. Thinking a 2010 Explorer 4.6 Limited or an F-150.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
My DD

2017 F250 small.jpg

I loved my 6.0 PS 2004 F250, but this 2017 6.7 PS is really a class above that truck.

E

shurur

Established Member
Gretchen is hardly a beater..but 2002 Audi A4 3.slow Q 6MT ....220k+ miles!!

other is Rebecca: wife's 2003 G35 Coupe 5AT...

coposrv

Established Member
Gretchen is hardly a beater..but 2002 Audi A4 3.slow Q 6MT ....220k+ miles!!

other is Rebecca: wife's 2003 G35 Coupe 5AT...

My BIL has 2 S4s for sale on his lot. I’m really considering picking one up so a fun part time daily. How has it been maintenance wise? The timing chains scare me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
My BIL has 2 S4s for sale on his lot. I’m really considering picking one up so a fun part time daily. How has it been maintenance wise? The timing chains scare me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
my 3.0 had 130k on her when i got her; so i had to play catch up.
Mine has a timing belt and is a easy DIY.
It is no worse than any other used car...but runs like new every time it gets fixed.

If you fix it yourself you will need a used windows laptop and the VCDS cable and VCDS software to run diagnostics..VW does not do OBD2..but their diagnostics are very thorough.

2009+ (B8) S4 (3.0T..actually twin screw whipple) is good..but 2013 is the best because the DSG transmission is the 2.0.
If they are manuals then that is good for all years.
timing chain is not a problem on that motor.
New BOV and tune gets you 400 rwhp.

go to www.audizine.com into the B8 S4 forum and ask there.
It is a great forum and good community
2013 S4 with DSG is on my list should my financial life get better.

I would steer clear of the B6+ 4.2..cam gears are on the back side of the engine..draped around the bell housing.. and engine is shoehorned into the bay..

Aside:
when I got my 3.0, I mentioned to the mechanic that I wanted the 4.2 S4.
He took me outside and had me open the hood.
him: "see all this room I have to work on this motor? It's not there on the 4.2."
me: "I know..I've seen them and that's your F%%^ problem."
him: "Yes..and I want you to know that that F$%%^ problem will be reflected in your F%%^& bill."

Last edited:

RSbeast

Established Member
I feel like ‘beater’ is getting confused with ‘daily driver’.

I have a DD and I have a ‘beater’, and I have ‘toys’. Maybe the beater falls closer to another toy, but it doesn’t really get treated like one; whereas we generally try not to kill our DD and have reservations on potential write off situations. This is not a DD thread so that’s unimportant.

My beater is a 99 Miata that sees anything that isn’t straight snow; though it’s seen slush and ice this year and I think it might be fun to try in the powder.

Handful of suspension mods, rollbar and a low mile freshened up engine with an ACT clutch and big rubber. NC car, but has the rocker rot from drain rails - on the list.

It gets driven with complete abandon. I - DONT - CARE. Sometimes that leaves me with more pucker than I’d like. But it gets racecar’d to death. Sees some trackdays, etc. Its expendable unlike the vettes. Absolute blast in the summer with great mpgs and short gearing. I drive a lot for my business and it’s usually backroads.

It was supposed to be a quick flip. 2yrs later...

I had an old lady hit it this October. Insurance cut me a $2600 check. I fixed it myself for ~ $400. Still need to get one thing PDR’d; but I think I love it even more.

F my DD. I hope that shitpile burns.

Users who are viewing this thread