What is the best HID company out there?

keith89

Established Member
The ones that don't blind the hell out of me. I.E. none of these cheap ass plug in kits.

If you disagree try shining a million candlepower spotlight into your lights while driving down a 2 lane road. Maybe you understand now.

+1. I originally had an HIDguy kit in stock housing. After one night, I took them out and put the stock bulbs in. The light output looks brighter but visibility does not get better. It just seems like your visitiblity gets better because the light scatters in all directions so you can see stuff above and to the sides of where you should with proper headlight cutoff. Not to mention everyone in front of you gets blinded because of the improper light cutoff. This was 3 years ago.

I kept the HID's in a box and last year I bought a retrofit kit from the retrofit source for $120 and it came out great. It looks factory and the visibility is much better with a sharp cutoff so no one gets blinded. It looks very similar to the clay mockups they created for our cars during development. You can see them in the book Iron Fist, Lead Foot.

BadSonicBlueSVT

Established Member
I do agree with the HID fog lights they will blind the oncoming traffic I've had a few friends to tell me that they are still bright while I'm riding behind them. I think that it may just be the bulbs I'm running there iceberg blue like 10,000-12,000k. My headlights are from Xtralights and I've had no problem with them.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I do agree with the HID fog lights they will blind the oncoming traffic I've had a few friends to tell me that they are still bright while I'm riding behind them. I think that it may just be the bulbs I'm running there iceberg blue like 10,000-12,000k. My headlights are from Xtralights and I've had no problem with them.

8000k+ bulbs put out less lumens then a halogen bulb, however, because of the way that the human eye perceives the color blue on the light spectrum, the gobs of obnoxious glare that are coming out of your housings do more to piss people off then say, a 4300k pnp kit.

In short, not only do you see less, but you blind people even more :rollseyes

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
Well thats just like... your opinion man

You have a kenne bell on your car and can't afford a 270 dollar projector kit? GTFO :bored: Theirs people on HIDPlanet with cars that cost as much as your blower doing retrofits, don't give me that money excuse.

What a stupid ignorant response...

To the OP, I'm also running the ddm kits in 2 cars with no problems so far. If you go with a lower bulb such as 5k and below the look is not as much different than a factory bulb just a little brighter.

yuke175

Established Member

To the OP, I'm also running the ddm kits in 2 cars with no problems so far. If you go with a lower bulb such as 5k and below the look is not as much different than a factory bulb just a little brighter.

Running hids in halogen specific designed lights is pretty ignorant IMO

JesseSVTJames

Established Member

What bulb type do we have? I'm looking for fogs from this site.

VancityCobra21

Established Member
+1. I originally had an HIDguy kit in stock housing. After one night, I took them out and put the stock bulbs in. The light output looks brighter but visibility does not get better. It just seems like your visitiblity gets better because the light scatters in all directions so you can see stuff above and to the sides of where you should with proper headlight cutoff. Not to mention everyone in front of you gets blinded because of the improper light cutoff. This was 3 years ago.

I kept the HID's in a box and last year I bought a retrofit kit from the retrofit source for $120 and it came out great. It looks factory and the visibility is much better with a sharp cutoff so no one gets blinded. It looks very similar to the clay mockups they created for our cars during development. You can see them in the book Iron Fist, Lead Foot.

Does the retrofit kit fit and look better overall?

SVTDice

Established Member
I don't know what people are complaining about. I have DDM Hid's and they work fantastic. I see what people mean about the scatter but come on. Halogens are shit compared to HID's. Halogens use way more power, Get way to hot and not even as close as bright.

I drive around all the time with my Heads and fogs 35w 5000k on and I rarely ever get flashed. If you guys are, you need to learn to properly angle them. You guys DO know you can adjust the alignment of the heads and fogs, Right? :bored:

keith89

Established Member
Does the retrofit kit fit and look better overall?

I think it looks much better. The projector shrouds can be painted black. I left it chrome because I think it looks good with a black car. The stock reflector bowl was painted black.

img94791.jpg

This was the initial cutoff when I first installed the retrofit. I needed to rotate the shroud so the cutoff was level. This picture was taken during the day(camera settings were off so exposure was really short making the photo look dark), so you can see they are very bright, yet there is a clean cutoff so you're not blinding everyone like you would be with HID's in a stock housing.
20120323184043.jpg

RussZTT

Established Member
Ya, those housings do not look right in our cars. I'll stick with the ones I have from hidguy.net.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Running hids in halogen specific designed lights is pretty ignorant IMO

How?

Plus you can angle these down so on coming traffic won't get blinded. I was flashed the first night. Once they were adjusted, they haven't been a problem. 100x brighter although not projected like I ultimately would like, they look very good. And the kits were very good quality. I got DDM tuning because my friends used them in their cars and their bikes. So I have a kit in my R6 and the cobra. I would love do get yukes retrofit, trust me, I really would. But 100$ vs $700? That's why most run HIDs.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Mccullough. I've had separate hi and low systems in my motorcycle for 10 years, not a single issue. I run the same in the heads on the Cobra for 5 years, zero issues.

Users who are viewing this thread