What if your full name appeared in every post you made on SVTP?

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Honest question. What would your reaction be if, in order to post on SVTP, you had to reveal your first and last name which was then showed publicly on all of your posts?

The above question is what I'm aiming this thread at, but here's why I ask (bit of a read, you don't have to read it if you just want to throw your .02 in on the question):

One of the most active forums on the internet has very recently announced that they will be doing just that. The forum I'm referring to is Activision/Blizzard's official forums for several of their monumentally popular video games (active players reaching 10+ million). (Link: Battle.net - English Forums -> Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to Forums)

Activision/Blizzard has been putting their new Real ID into effect, which is basically taking the information you gave them at sign up (like when activating a game, with your full name) and making that a profile that you can then use to connect to friends. Well this already very iffy system is going to be implemented into their forums but now will be mandatory. Upon releasing information about the new move, they posted it under the guise that by showing peoples real first and last name it will cut down on people "trolling" (harasment) because "Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment."

However, Activision/Blizzard is already working with Facebook Inc. to make Real ID integrate with Facebook. So there's now speculation on this simply being a move to further that move, which would allow others to know who plays on some of their games, something that isn't always seen in the most positive light in current times. Also a lot of people are seeing this as only the tip of a big push where they could start putting the information out into the games themselves, removing any anonymity at all. All ready, only 2 days after the announcment, there is (at the time of writing this) a 1,940 page (roughly 39,000 responses) thread on the matter on one of Blizzards official US forums with peak growth being about 4 pages/min. (Link to thread: World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to Forums)

Speculation goes from simply thinking that Blizzard is over-reacting to internet trolls all the way to global schemes like mentioned in this post:

We are in the biggest Behavior Laboratory in the world. This requirement is currently ONLY for posting to the forums. However, they will soon make it a requirement to play the game. This is the agenda - and the beta test for a world-wide roll-out of a World ID biometric authentication card in order to access the internet. You may see this as "Blizzard's" annoying new requirement... but you are missing the larger agenda. This is not Blizzard; it's not even Activision: this is Vivendi and GE (one of the biggest defense contractors in the world), running a beta test to observe and record behavior in preparation for the big world-wide roll-out of the World ID. And why not choose the biggest online multi-player game? It's perfect for their lab... and we are their lab rats:

So far the feedback about the idea has been alarmingly negative. A poll on wow.com (a third party site for the game World of Warcraft) asking people if they think this is a good idea has (at time of writing) 83.8% of people saying no. (Link: Breakfast Topic: Real ID or Real bad IDea?) Almost the entire thread on Blizzards official forums has been nothing but negative feed back, with a very very small percentage of people thinking the idea is a good one.

So, I thought I'd run the idea by the ol' SVTP crowd to see what you guys think. Let's hear it.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I wouldn't care. I already have my names in my User CP, it's only a click away for anyone who wants to know. I try not to post anything on here that I wouldn't say in person anyway.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I would have to disable PM's! Women would be going crazy around here

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i wouldn't care....hell if someone wants your info there can get it easy enough.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
hmmmmm, sounds like things are going as planned, especally if it's more than Blizzard that's pushing it.. I'd guess that the government is pushing it as well..

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Food for thought: One of the major concerns is the loss of privacy that would allow anyone to then personally harass someone.

This point was proven 3 times within the first few hours after the announcement was made. One individual posted his first and last name saying he thought the move was a good idea. Moments later there were pictures of him, his house, and his family. His address was (both physical and e-mail) were then signed up for a massive amount of spam, and endless calls were made to both him and to local pizza chains ordering pizza to his house.

After that, 2 moderators of the forums (Blizzard employees) posted their real first and last name on the forum to prove that both players and employees would be using real names. Same thing. The first mod took down his Facebook immediately after all of his pictures were posted and personal information taken and posted.

Point being, with someones full name you can get anything else you want.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
People who do it to be dumb will be taken advantage of.

If its the rule then its the rule and if you don't like it then leave.

txyaloo

Established Member
What's to stop you from using a fake name?

I'm sure as hell not forwarding a copy of my ID to a video game website to verify I am who I say I am.

LSUstang05

Established Member
What's to stop you from using a fake name?

I'm sure as hell not forwarding a copy of my ID to a video game website to verify I am who I say I am.

This is the way around it, but the idea in general is bullshit. It's a game where a rather large amount of people are playing it to escape from the stresses of "real life." While that may sound like a childish thing to do, everybody does it some form or fashion. Some play video games, others drink booze, some read books, etc...The motivation behind all of those activities is to have some time where you pretend that you have no stress in your life and that everything is going to be OK. By forcing people to post their real first and last name just to use a game you are taking away one of the main reasons that they are playing the game in the first place as well as adding more stress to their lives. They now have to worry about somebody being able to use that information to find everything out about them (as was already proven) and then possibly steal their identity.

If SVTP were to enforce that rule, I would respectfully ask the site administrator to take my account out of their user database.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I don't think it would bother me too much. It's not like they would be posting my street address and ssn.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Wouldn't hurt me any.

-Dixie Normous.

facepalm2ic7copyrl2-jpg.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread