What happens when someone gets suspended from work?

50 Proof

Established Member
I know someone that works for an aerospace company building airplanes. He is one year away from being able to take his retirement package, which includes a healthy pension. He has worked in this position with this company for probably close to 13 years already.

He is friends with someone who does cocaine but he does not do cocaine himself, this I know for fact. His company recently did a random drug test and he tested positive for cocaine. They suspended him indefinitely without pay. What does this mean? Is he ****ed? It would really suck to see him lose his retirement package for something that he didn't do.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I know someone that works for an aerospace company building airplanes. He is one year away from being able to take his retirement package, which includes a healthy pension. He has worked in this position with this company for probably close to 13 years already.

He is friends with someone who does cocaine but he does not do cocaine himself, this I know for fact. His company recently did a random drug test and he tested positive for cocaine. They suspended him indefinitely without pay. What does this mean? Is he ****ed? It would really suck to see him lose his retirement package for something that he didn't do.

a couple of things -
1. hanging out with a coke user is a bad mistake ... esp. when you are in a job where you have to have a security clearance (don't know if your friend is in this category or not)
2. There are a few things that will cause a false positive (amoxicillin for example) is he on any prescripton drugs?
3. There should be an appeals process where he can ask for a new lab test. he needs to look into this.
4. how do you know "for a fact" that he does not do cocaine or hasn't tried it in the recent past? were you with him 24x7 for the last 6 months? or are you taking him at his word? you don't know anything "for a fact" unless you were there 24x7x52 to observe his every move.

canibus

Established Member
you don't test positive for cocaine unless you did it. he ****ed himself. far as the pension, it's still there. It's something he's earned over time, they can't take it away

canibus

Established Member
RDJ said:
4. how do you know "for a fact" that he does not do cocaine or hasn't tried it in the recent past? were you with him 24x7 for the last 6 months? or are you taking him at his word? you don't know anything "for a fact" unless you were there 24x7x52 to observe his every move.

maybe the op is the person in question. i can see how he would forget using, cause cocaine's a hell of a drug!

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
You don't test positive for cocaine by simply being friends with someone else who does. Your friend may not do cocaine, but he has most likely tried it. Your friend has few options at this point. If he is indefinitely suspended, termination is right around the corner. Have him appeal the initial test and take another one with a secondary facility.

In most states, addiction is seen as a disease and those affected by it are offered many of the same legal protections that are offered to someone suffering from any other disease.

He needs to contact a lawyer and a recovery facility immediately, whether he is a drug addict/user or not. If he has any kind of meeting with his employer, he needs an attorney present. He doesn't want to say anything that might seal the deal as far as termination goes. He also needs to not admit to any drug use or how often me may or may not use. He needs to not lie though either. The treatment center is a back up plan in case the whole secondary lab thing doesn't go along with how you say he doesn't do anything.

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
Sounds like the type of story where a girl says she don't know how she got pregnant, she must have sat on a jizz covered toilet and the fastest swimmer made it eh?

50 Proof

Established Member
a couple of things -
1. hanging out with a coke user is a bad mistake ... esp. when you are in a job where you have to have a security clearance (don't know if your friend is in this category or not)
2. There are a few things that will cause a false positive (amoxicillin for example) is he on any prescripton drugs?
3. There should be an appeals process where he can ask for a new lab test. he needs to look into this.

You're right, I don't know for fact. I have known this person for years and know he doesn't experiment with drugs. But it is entirely possible that he did the unexpected.

you don't test positive for cocaine unless you did it. he ****ed himself. far as the pension, it's still there. It's something he's earned over time, they can't take it away

If someone laced your coffee with cocaine, would you still test positive for it? If his employment gets terminated, can they take his pension away?

maybe the op is the person in question. i can see how he would forget using, cause cocaine's a hell of a drug!

LOL no, i'm not the person in question. I'm 29 years old, hardly anywhere near retirement. I work for a bank, not an aerospace company, I don't know the first thing about building airplanes, and I've never tried any drugs either. I've never even tried pot before either. Besides, they don't do random drug tests where I work. The OP is a friend of the family whom I've known for many many years.

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
that happened to a girl i knew (shes not my friend but she was friend of a friend back in highschool), but she ended up going out with a guy that did heroin, and even though she never touched the stuff she got drug tested and she tested positive for it and got pretty f***ed over for it.

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

i find that hard to believe if he tested positive.

Midnight Venom

Reloaded's Girl
Established Member
My mom had a co-worker test positive for weed and she hadn't smoked since she was a teenager (was about 50 at the time). Luckily she did a retest and a bunch of legal crap and there was no problem. Don't eat poppy seed bagels or muffins before a drug test.

Hope everything works out for your friend. Luckily I dont think his retirement package would go anywhere though.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
that happened to a girl i knew (shes not my friend but she was friend of a friend back in highschool), but she ended up going out with a guy that did heroin, and even though she never touched the stuff she got drug tested and she tested positive for it and got pretty f***ed over for it.

Now how in the world could a woman get heroin in her body
if she was "dating" a drug addict?
Simple.
Do the math.

Users who are viewing this thread