What got you into a Terminator

nxhappy

Established Member
The 03 came out when I was in high school. Some lucky asshole kid had a comp orange. I saw it and it was love at first sight. All I knew was it was supercharged and really ****ing fast. I also knew my dad would never loan me any money LOL. So far the longest time, the Terminator was just my pipe dream...My first mustang was a 98 V6, then later I got my 00 GT. And for some crazy reason I waited 14 years before finally buying a Terminator ! I actually bought my GT500 first.

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
Great topic OP;
My dad is a huge car collector and raised us all around Fords. Normally my dad collects the classics, but i remember when he purchased his first SVT - 2004 Lightning. I fell in love with it and soon after I was able to purchase my first SVT - 2002 lightning with 52,000 kms on it. A year had passed and my older brother and I both purchased 05 GT's (his a coupe mine a vert) I still had the lightning at this time but was having more fun with the GT. My dad then purchased a 07 Shelby GT 500, which sparked my older brother to trade his GT in for a Grabber orange 07 GT 500 Shelby. The supercharged mustang blew my mind, and i was determined to keep up with them during cruises. I knew the 03/04's were supercharged but didn't know how special of a car they were at the time. I couldn't afford a Shelby but i could afford a Terminator (working my ass off on the rigs at the time)so i ended up selling my GT and shortly after found my black 03 cobra with only 5000 miles on it. Although I did have the lightning and cobra for almost a year, The lightning would just in the garage not getting any attention while the cobra got all the attention, so i ended up selling it and paid off the cobra. My dad still has his lightning and Shelby, older brother still has his Shelby, and my younger brother also has a 03 torched red 10th anniversary Cobra.

Brandon Adams

Established Member
Mine started with my 96 GT when I was 16, I knew I wanted a mustang v8 and 5 speed. The 96 popped up on Craigslist in my price range so that's what I ended up with. After doing all the basic mods and realizing how slow I still was, I was shown a video of cobra making highway pulls and found the 03/04 cobras to be mustangs created from the gods and vowed that would be my next car. After high school I sold the GT joined the military and bought my DSG at the age of 19, I sorta cheated because I had nothing to spend my money on while over seas. A year and a half finally passed of it sitting in my mothers garage in PA and I was able to see her for the first time and drive her down to my new home in Jacksonville FL. I still have her today and I will sell my house before I sell my cobra.

Slippery Nut

Established Member
Growing up and all through highschool I was a diehard Chevy fan, in highschool I had 2 different 80's Monte Carlos, a 91 firebird and an 85 Camaro Z28. When the Camaro died I got a new car, a little Pontiac Sunfire and hated it, it was not me at all, so I was looking for a WS6 trans am, I wanted ttops, black on black and a 6 speed.

I was driving along one day and I see a black ttop WS6 at a dodge dealer so I stop. Walked up to the car and it was an automatic, in disappointment I step back and bump into the side mirror of the car next to the WS6. It was my MG 2001 Mustang GT. Looked inside and it was a stick... well the rest is history.

After I got the GT I joined all the forums and found out what a cobra was and came across the Mystichrome and was just in awe looking at pictures on the computer and told myself one day I would have one...

10 years later that came true...
I discovered the Terminator in 2004 when I bought my black GT convertible. 10 years later, I got my Terminator. I'm still in awe over a year later.

Sent from my XT1254 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Fun thread. I enjoyed reading through the stories.

For me, I have always been a "Mustang guy." My first car was an 88 hp 1980 4-banger. I dressed it up and made it my own. Once I graduated college and was waiting to go to flight school in the Air Force, I bought my 89 GT vert (still have it). This was my first performance vehicle and my love of Stangs grew deeper. It was my daily driver for a long, long time. Once SVT came into existence, I was always fascinated by the halo cars, but I considered them above my pay grade. Years later and out of the military, I saw some pictures of a Kona/white striped 2011 GT500 and HAD to have it. This was my first SVT vehicle and I was hooked and needed more. My next passion was Mystichrome. It was insanely over the top and once again, I had to have one. I picked it up in 2013 and then added a Teal 93 in 2014 and a 00R in 2016.

My garage is loaded with SVT artwork. The collection will grow with time. These cars are a hoot!

Last edited:

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The wife wanted a cool car before we started a family and she liked the Mystichrome paint. We almost ended up with a Infinity G35 Coupe :(. We bought a car that had been sitting on the lot for awhile with X-plan. She couldn't drive a manual transmission, so I had to teach her on the car. Had kids and I had to choose between my 2001 Lightning or keeping the Cobra. I kept the Cobra. She likes to remind everyone that it used to be "her" car.

I still miss the Lightning, but made the correct choice.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I remember seeing them in magazines years ago. I've seen a handful of mach 1's but never a 03-04 cobra. Until one showed up at a local big car event. I also watched videos of them on YouTube and then I knew I had to have one.

Piasared

Established Member
Walking into a ford dealer and seeing it new. Tried to buy it but was already sold. Bought something else and found one years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billsdoo

Established Member
My story is a good one. My first mustang was a 86 GT for $1000. The wife and I loved it. Fast forward to 2005 looking for a mustang for the wife. She and I liked the looks of 2004 GT better than the retro. Looking for a left over came across a 2003 Cobra DSG. Knowing I loved 1993 Cobras she wanted the Cobra. But it was already taken to another deal. But salesman would keep us in mind if deal falls through. There is 2 people in front waiting if falls through. Well we get the call that deal fell through and we are next. I said we have to try it first. Salesman came with us and fell in love. Had no idea what I was buying. Bought right there and then. No regrets. After 2 years of her driving it and me checking up and down every night and now knowing what we bought. I told her you have X amount of money to get a car you want before we get divorced. She ended up happy and I did also. The rest is history. Just turned 40,000 and love it still and still looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I'm surprised at all the wife involvement in these stories. I thought mine was unique. I don't think of Cobra's as chick cars.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
My dad had a 71 Mach 1 when i was growing up and some of the best memories from my youth were of working on that car with him. It began my love affair with the Pony car.

When he sold it i was crushed but the gentlman that purchased it restored it to its original glory so i couldn't be too mad.

I had an Evo X before my Cobra but it was to the modding point of dropping serious coin into the motor or risk putting a window in my block. With the car still holding its value i decided it was better to sell it and get what i always wanted.

After finding this community and gaining some knowledge i pulled the trigger and bought my 04 Black Cobra and it's one of the best decisions ive ever made. The car continues to put a smile on my face every time i see it let alone drive it. It has become more than a hobby to me, it has become a passion.

HausCobra

Established Member
In 2003 I was in college. I owned a 94 cobra and started seeing the terminators on SVT performance. I can remember my senior year watching all of the blade videos and saying as soon as I graduate and get a job I am buying one of these. Picked up my brand-new silver 04 coupe end of September 2004. I had the car for 14 months but had an opportunity at 23 years old to buy a condo. I couldn't have the car payment and the mortgage so I chose to sell it and buy that condo. I told myself one day I will have one again. Well 11 years later after having 2 fox bodies I just purchased last month a 2004 coupe with a Kenne Bell 3.2 Mammoth and all supporting mods with 20k miles on the clock. So looking forward to the summer and enjoying having a Terminator again

HausCobra

Established Member
In 2003 I was in college. I owned a 94 cobra and started seeing the terminators on SVT performance. I can remember my senior year watching all of the blade videos and saying as soon as I graduate and get a job I am buying one of these. Picked up my brand-new silver 04 coupe end of September 2004. I had the car for 14 months but had an opportunity at 23 years old to buy a condo. I couldn't have the car payment and the mortgage so I chose to sell it and buy that condo. I told myself one day I will have one again. Well 11 years later after having 2 fox bodies I just purchased last month a 2004 coupe with a Kenne Bell 3.2 Mammoth and all supporting mods with 20k miles on the clock. So looking forward to the summer and enjoying having a Terminator again

wowsers

Established Member
Growing up i was always a gm guy. The only mustang I liked in high school was the 03/04 cobra. Obviously, I couldn't afford it then, and over the years I would always look at them but just never pulled the trigger for one reason or another.

Fast forward to November '15 and I was looking at buying another car...2011 CTS-V m6 with recaros and 26xxx miles. Car was on eBay and the pictures looked phenomenal. I was too sketched out to have it shipped so I bought a one way ticket to Louisville, KY and checked it out...it was horrendous. I was at the guys house for 5 minutes told him I couldn't do it and checked into a hotel. Then I looked on craigslist and found an 03 DSG literally 10 min from my house. Bought it 3 days later.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm surprised at all the wife involvement in these stories. I thought mine was unique. I don't think of Cobra's as chick cars.
Just gotta find the right woman. My buddies wife is also a car chick. She has a 71 Maverick she's working on. He's mostly pointing and she's spinning wrenches.

Zemedici

Established Member
These stories are incredible!!

Both times:

First time was July 2014, sold my 2004 350z to jump into a cobra. I was working for ford at the time, and found the car on Craigslist, in a town my dad was working in. I went to work with him and checked it out, I remember losing my shit rolling all the windows down as it passed us, so I could hear it.

We get to the gas station to check it out, and go for a test drive. He's driving like an old man.....I said 'dude hit it!'

He goes, 'oh. You like that fast shit?'

Then proceeds to stop, do a burnout, and roll onto it spinning 1st-3rd. I had to have it. Brought it home 3 days later. Had her for 2 years and 50,000 miles. Had put nice parts on her (custom retrofit headlights, AFS reps, amber taillights, full stereo)

Then sold her to custom order a 2015 GT Performance Pack.

My 2003 (current)

Sold the 2015 after 7 months of ownership, as it wasn't for me. Car felt 'numb', no personality. I realized I missed the rawness of the cobra.

Well Tanya had heard enough of me talking about them and she said 'go get one!'

So the search was on, and I found my 10th anniversary car on here. Knew I had to have it. Got everything lined up with selling my 15 and buying this one. Bought two one way plane tickets to Kentucky to pick it up. Saw it, checked for obvious issues, and drove her home. Been tinkering with her ever since, been almost a year now.

mark23svt

Established Member
I was 16 when I first saw one, my dad went to Ford to get himself a truck when I saw the best car in the world ( in my eyes) a 03 Silver cobra ,!I loved mustangs and had a 96 gt. But the one I truly fell in love with was a known drug trafficker that lived in a very nice neighborhood(nice guy believe it or not) it was a sonic blue beautiful car, I was madly in love. After a year or two his car gets inpounded (got busted) and I was trying to figure out how to get that car ( kid dreaming lol). Well 12 years later I got myself my first sonic blue terminator. Took me forever decided to do the whole family, house thing first. But no matter what I had a bunch of mustangs on my journey to getting a terminator. I love the SN style, all I really had and still have one along side my cobra.

mark23svt

Established Member
IMG_0655.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread