What Exactly is Your Trade Worth?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
KBB? Black Book? MMR? NADA?- What’s a Fair Representation of Your Trade?

When purchasing a newer vehicle, a lot of consumers are faced with a simple question; what am I going to do with my current vehicle? A lot of people come to the decision to trade in their vehicle on the newer one; many come to this conclusion based on the sheer convenience, the tax implications, etc. The next question consumers encounter is ‘how much is my trade worth’ or ‘how will the dealership value my trade’? My goal is to shed light and understanding on how a trade-in value is determined, or should be determined.

Before we can understand how a trade-in value is determined, we need to start on common grounds. The Automobile sales industry has grown tremendously in the last 20 years and has taken HUGE steps forward with the increasing support of the internet-era shopper. Twenty years ago if a consumer wanted to compare prices at different dealerships they would drive from dealer to dealer to find a vehicle, then to compare prices. Fortunately, the internet has all but rid our industry of this inefficient shopping method. With just a few clicks of a mouse consumers are able to shop, compare, research and find vehicles throughout the entire country.

The internet has created a ‘perfect market’ in the automobile industry. Perfect market is defined as a market in which buyers and sellers are so numerous and well informed that monopoly is absent and market prices cannot be manipulated. Consumers are able to access the same information as sellers, and more often than not know the ins and outs of the transaction before even arriving at the dealership the first time.

When a dealership takes a vehicle in on trade, their sole intention is to turn around and sell it at a profit or worse case, at breakeven. With that in mind, how do they put a number on the vehicle? Among the most common are KBB, Black Book, MMR (auction pricing) and NADA. For an example I used a 2015 Ford F-350. All of the examples below were created using the exact truck, miles, and equipment.

As far as KBB is concerned, the example vehicle is worth $40,176 to a dealer. Now, what the consumer sees is that the trade-in value is $40,176 and the retail price is $48,487 and they decide that the dealer is going to make $8,300 on the transaction; that’s not the case.

Untitled.png

Now, when we look at Black Book, we see a little thinner “profit margin”, but still, $4,400 is a lot to make on a single transaction.

Untitled1.png

Next, we are going to take a peek at the MMR, or auction suggested price of the vehicle. Now, MMR is not going to be as specific as the two previous guides as it does not drill down into the equipment, it just pulls the year, make, model, odometer and your location. But still, a $5,100 “profit” would make every one excited, and a salesman’s day.

Untitled2.png

Finally, NADA has been looked at for years. I know dealers who still subscribe to the monthly printed booklets. The spread is also around $5,000.

Untitled4.png

With all of these trade values ranging from a little over $40,000 all the way up to almost $45,000, how is anyone supposed to come up with a true value for the vehicle? Well, now there’s a new way of thinking and it is reshaping the automobile industry.

Think of it this way. Up until this point, dealers have given what they think a vehicle is worth, then marking it up a few grand to resell. Some of these vehicles will sell quickly, others hang around for a while. Dealers have finally gotten a little smarter, and with the help of a very efficient program, made determining a vehicle’s value much more fair and systematic.

If a dealership takes in a trade-in vehicle with the sole intention of selling a vehicle at a profit or breakeven (worst case scenario), shouldn’t they have an idea of what the vehicle will sell for and let that dictate what they give for the trade?

Dealerships that have progressed to this line of thought have seen volume increase, gross per vehicle sold decrease slightly, but overall profits soar.

Using this example, I will show you how a value is determined.

First off, the appraising employee determines whether this is a vehicle we intend to retail or wholesale (retail sell to consumers, wholesale sell at auctions or to another dealer). Once that is determined the appraiser uses their experience to determine the amount of money it will take to make this vehicle front line ready (ready to sell), in this case it needs $800 of work, maintenance and cleanup. The next step is to determine the return on investment that they are aiming for. Typically, higher profit will be sought out on larger investments than on smaller investments, in this case I chose $2,500 (just a hint over a 5% profit margin).

After those two values are inputted, the program does the rest. The appraiser is able to adjust the market distance based on the amount of like vehicles in the market; if there is only 1 within 250 miles, the appraiser will widen the market in order to get a true depiction. In this case, the ‘price rank’ represents if we were to give $42,000 for the vehicle, then spend $800 on it in recon, and then expect a $2,500 profit, that we would be priced the 3rd lowest priced out of the 9 vehicles in the market at $45,300. The vRank represents that this truck would be the 5th highest priced in respect to price and odometer reading out of the 9 vehicles in the market.

Untitled5.png

In times past, the most important number to a dealership was what they thought it was worth trade-in wise; now, the most important number is the value I can advertise it at and stay competitive in the market. Say the consumer wanted $43,000 for their truck:

1. Old way of thinking: Trade for it at $43,000, spend $800 to recon it, and sell it for $46,300.

2. New way of thinking: Trade for it at $43,000, spend $800 to recon it, and sell it for $45,300.

Yes, the new way of thinking will yield $1,000 less profit, however it’s not efficient to spend marketing dollars on a vehicle when you have it priced too high for the market. The trick of the trade is not to take “big wacks” at making profit, but to take a lot of smaller, consistent wacks and have them happen much more frequently. This has benefited the consumer and dealer. Consumers are able to purchase vehicles that are more competitively priced, and dealers are able to turn their inventory faster, resulting in more bottom line profit. There’s always a downside to everything, however in this case, it’s more of a perceived downside. The days of being able to negotiate $4-5,000 off on a pre-owned vehicle are over. Any dealer that still uses the old approach and have their vehicles marked up enough to have the ability to negotiate over that much money, will not be a successful business practice in years to come.

In summary, research research research. If you can go into a dealership with a list of vehicles for sale in the area that are very comparable to the vehicle you’re trading in, it will make the process easier for both of you. When the appraiser explains that your trade needs tires, a new battery, etc…ask them how much they intend to spend on the vehicle in order to make it ready to sell to the next consumer. At that point, it’s fair to ask what they expect their return on investment with your vehicle to be. You can slowly back into what the trade offer should be on the numbers they gave you, and then compare that value to what they showed you on paper.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
When I traded in my Boss on the GT350, I got a great trade in price. Dealer told me up front that he already had a couple of buyers and would have $0 getting it ready to sell. I am guessing that he cleared about $3k on the Boss. With the way sales tax laws work here, it was worth taking the trade in price instead of holding out to private sell the car.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
Good info! It's nice to see more transparency in the industry. Hopefully all dealerships start to adhere to the above methods.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Awesome informative read Nick.

Thank you for the opportunity Travis.

When I traded in my Boss on the GT350, I got a great trade in price. Dealer told me up front that he already had a couple of buyers and would have $0 getting it ready to sell. I am guessing that he cleared about $3k on the Boss. With the way sales tax laws work here, it was worth taking the trade in price instead of holding out to private sell the car.

Different states have different tax laws. In the state of Missouri, you have 180 days from the time you sell a vehicle, to collect the tax credit. Meaning, you can sell your car, then you have 6 months to search for something to buy and still claim the tax savings.

Well done Nick, thanks.

Very informative. Thanks 13.

Thanks guys.

Good info! It's nice to see more transparency in the industry. Hopefully all dealerships start to adhere to the above methods.

It's getting to the point where they will have to; they'll either do it willingly, or fight it tooth and nail, but it's going to happen.

With the age of the internet, perfect competition forces a level playing field.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
With the age of the internet, perfect competition forces a level playing field.
A nice benefit (IMHO) of perfect competition is that one of the best ways to stand out above others is service/hustle. I think if dealerships can adapt that as well they can hold onto their "dying" distribution channels instead of being forced to the Tesla model.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One of the nice benefits (IMHO) is with perfect competition, one of the best ways to stand out above others is service/hustle. I think if dealerships can adapt that as well they can hold onto their "dying" distribution channels instead of being forced to the Tesla model.

I don't foresee the Tesla model being adapted by the mainstream dealerships.

In my opinion, Tesla needs to stick with what it knows and does well, batteries.

lastcall190

Established Member
Thank you for the information and great timing as I'm considering trading my vehicle in.

-J

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I will add that all markets are local and getting on cars.com or the like to see what actually similar vehicles are selling for within 150 miles is a good thing to do.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank you for the information and great timing as I'm considering trading my vehicle in.

-J

Well, I hope it helps!

I will add that all markets are local and getting on cars.com or the like to see what actually similar vehicles are selling for within 150 miles is a good thing to do.

Yep.

08mojo

Established Member
Thanks for the write-up!

What program do you use to get vRank? How does (or maybe it doesn't) Dealertrak services tie into this process?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the write-up!

What program do you use to get vRank? How does (or maybe it doesn't) Dealertrak services tie into this process?

I'll pm you.

Dealertrak doesn't tie in.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Great post. With the nationwide competition of online sales and auto choices used car values have come down a lot.

One thing I learned when pricing a trade is a dealer won't give you 22k for your trade when they can buy similar all day long at the auction for 20k. Why pay more for the same product...

The other item I saw when shopping for used car was the dealer gives you wholesale of your vehicle while still quoting retail for theirs.

Some dealers will let you know their cost on a vehicle and their bottom line PM at this current time while most dealers won't. Keep in mind that PM a dealer is looking for will shrink the longer they hold on to a specific vehicle or if they have to meet EOM sales goals.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The other item I saw when shopping for used car was the dealer gives you wholesale of your vehicle while still quoting retail for theirs.

Well, I feel like that's a given. Why would it be any different?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Well, I feel like that's a given. Why would it be any different?

It's makes the customers car feel cheap and the dealers car feel expensive.

I was looking at an used S4. The gsm came back quitting auction prices on mine and then current retail for sale. The gap was too big and I did not buy.

If he had said we 26 in it low as we can go is 28 I would have purchased. Instead they kept the 32k ask.

Nothing wrong with it at all. How they chose to go after a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread