What Do You Consider an Alcoholic?

Coiled03

Established Member
It's all about need, in my opinion. If you literally can't function without your drinks, e.g. start going through DTs or something, you're an alcoholic.

I drink roughly the same amount, OP, but just last night, I got busy working on my taxes and completely forgot about those beers I was going to drink. An alcoholic doesn't forget.....ever.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
LOL...if you have to ask...just kidding. I agree with the sentiment of others here, i.e. if it's your sole focus and you have to have a drink, always think about drinking, then you have a problem..

Blown 89

Established Member
1-3 drinks per day every day is an alcoholic IMO.

I lived with a woman for many years that had to have a glass or two of wine a night to "wind down". I noticed that when there wasn't wine she grabbed a beer and when there wasn't of either she'd go out of her way to the store. She claimed one or two a night isn't an alcoholic but when I asked her to stop for a week she couldn't.

Alcoholism doesn't necessarily mean you get black out drunk every day.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
When you can't control it, even if you don't know/accept you can't. Either physical or psychological dependence.

I have a few beers when I get home, and drink more on the weekends working around the house. I thought that was a rule.

I bet your lawnmower won't even run without a beer in the cupholder.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Sounds like its a different answer from everybody. Which makes it very tough to identify if you have a problem if you don't know exactly what an alcoholic is. I have a beer or three almost every day, but if i don't, i don't. If i'm out of beers I don't feel the need to stop and grab some more. I don't think I'm an alcoholic by any stretch. I just enjoy drinking when I'm able to within reason. Socially or when the day is done. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Some people see it differently.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
1-3 drinks per day every day is an alcoholic IMO.

I lived with a woman for many years that had to have a glass or two of wine a night to "wind down". I noticed that when there wasn't wine she grabbed a beer and when there wasn't of either she'd go out of her way to the store. She claimed one or two a night isn't an alcoholic but when I asked her to stop for a week she couldn't.

Alcoholism doesn't necessarily mean you get black out drunk every day.

I disagree somewhat. Everyday does raise an eyebrow, but for example my mom will have 1 beer, maybe 2 every day at dinner if she has beer or doesn't have to work. If shes out or has to work its no big deal she can live without. Shes not an alcoholic. You start getting to 3+ a day, then I would agree that there may/probably is a problem.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
giphy.gif

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a few beers pretty much every night and more so on the weekends. There will be days where I just choose not to or run out of beer and it's no big deal. It's not like it's something that I can't live without or am constantly thinking about, just something I enjoy. If that makes me an alcoholic then I guess I'm an alcoholic.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have a few beers pretty much every night and more so on the weekends. There will be days where I just choose not to or run out of beer and it's no big deal. It's not like it's something that I can't live without or am constantly thinking about, just something I enjoy. If that makes me an alcoholic then I guess I'm an alcoholic.

If you can go any length of time without it and not obsess over the next one, then no you're not an alcoholic.

94_Vert

Established Member
If you can't go 30 days without it you have some sort of problem, perhaps minor, but a problem.

Stanger00

Established Member
Do you feel like you HAVE to have those drinks every day? Do you crave them, feel like you're going through withdrawals if you try to skip them?

Alcoholics are controlled by their addiction. Often to the point they can't function without it.

Nothing wrong with having a drink or two with dinner, even if its every day, as long as it isn't a need. You may have a minor addiction if not having one noticeably effects you.

I was told through some Air Force forced drinking meetings that an alcoholic has legal, financial and work troubles. These issues are directly related to an individual who consumes alcohol to the point of passing out or blacking out. Looking back at my early 20's I was too naive to know that my drinking was a problem and now that I drink no less I have a better life. I consume 1-3 drinks a night but if I have a DIPA I'll just drink one since those are usually 8-9% ABV. No need to drink heavy anymore and drinking heavy usually led to bad decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread