What did you gius do with the oil cooler?

jumperjack

Established Member
I am going turbo and was wondering what you guys did with our 03 oil cooler set up that is on the car. I want to keep an oil cooler but was going to go to a remote filter set up. Any suggestions or pics of what you guys did?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you run a remote kit, you run a great chance of having leaks and also of dropping pressure. I'd do everything you can to leave the filter/cooler in the factory location.

TRBO VNM

^ disagree about the filter. I agree I would continue using a cooler and there are people who have used remote coolers to gain space for their for piping, but the filter relocation should be of no concern.

I personally have had 3 cars with them and no issues with leaks or pressure. I have built plenty of car with them and have worked on others that have already had them. Maximum Motorsports has been using them for long enough and of any company out there, I bet they have plenty of research to provide a successful kit without worry. As long as there are no leaks, I don't see how you can drop pressure. I have never seen a report about someone dropping pressure because of a relocation kit. If you lose oil pressure, it will most likely be due to a mechanical failure in the engine, not the relocation kit.

in fact, my oil pressure is too high at idle and imo, too high while cruising. Which is probably the same for most all the terminators and part of the reason you see some people with seal issues on their turbo's with them mounted high enough for gravity drain.

that being said, if I could keep the filter in the factory location, I would. But you can't with the MM kmember.

jumperjack

Established Member
I agree with TRBO VNM if it is a good quality and installed correctly should not be a problem. So are you guys still running the 03 cooler with the relocation kit for the filter? I haven't decided on the K Member yet but trying to look ahead and clearing as much stuff out of my way before I get started on the piping.

quikcobra

Established Member
I found one off a heavy duty F150 ill be using with my turbo kit, Its a factory ford part so they all cant be bad. There should'nt be any issues just add another .5 QT. to make up for the extra hoses

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Depending on what turbo kit and K-Member you decide to go with will be the deciding factor on what you need to do with your oil cooler. I can use the stock cooler and stock sized oil filter with my HP twin kit and QA1 k-member...

Users who are viewing this thread