What did you do to your Cobra today?

cheaneyt

Established Member
Something was bound to happen with 20 year old cars.
Right, my build date is 10/95. Wasn't until 2015 though when it got hit by the motorcycle. First owner kept er in the garage every night for over 15 years so she in really good shape inside and out. I'm working out all the bugs with engine and trans ect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

96GT226410

Established Member
I found the ground that I ripped out while removing my engine. It goes from the frame near the driver's side motor mount to the frame near the strut tower. I'll replace it with a new wire cut to length. I still have to separate the engine and trans, pull the valve covers, oil pan, crank damper, and timing cover before I ship it out to get rebuilt. Still gotta pick up some parts for the install; OR X-pipe, cat back, midpipe/manifold gasket, shifter gasket, plugs, wires, and coil packs (still might do the COP conversion). I'm sure there's other things I forgetting.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Got my ford racing 9mm wires in today.
Frozen the car...Finally. The cobra is running like it is supposed to. Now I gotta put a few miles on her to make sure no check engine so I can smog it. I got a temporary driving permit for it when I registered it last week.
On a side note I wasn't super impressed the way the new wires held down to the coils. On one clip would hold them no matter what I did. In fear of one or more coming off while driving . I ended up using zip ties to hold the prongs closed around the male end where they seat. Seems to have worked great. For the future I will probably do a cop conversion when i do my built motor.

96GT226410

Established Member
Got my ford racing 9mm wires in today.
Frozen the car...Finally. The cobra is running like it is supposed to. Now I gotta put a few miles on her to make sure no check engine so I can smog it. I got a temporary driving permit for it when I registered it last week.
On a side note I wasn't super impressed the way the new wires held down to the coils. On one clip would hold them no matter what I did. In fear of one or more coming off while driving . I ended up using zip ties to hold the prongs closed around the male end where they seat. Seems to have worked great. For the future I will probably do a cop conversion when i do my built motor.

What wires? Stock coil packs? I was looking into the COP conversion, but I've read some things lately and I was starting to lean away from them now.

96GT226410

Established Member
I bought FRPP shorty headers and they don't have studs for the mid pipe. Should I use the old studs? New studs? Stainless bolts? Where should I get them? Thanks.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I thought this stupid car was good.
Now I'm getting a p0411 code. Something about a air injection pump.
Weird thing to is it is running smoothly now. Pulls very hard..once the car is fully warm it starts to have a hesitation. I'm thinking something is up with the imrc plates? I've seen a lot of people have had problems with them.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Yeah I have.
My dad bought the car for me on ebay.
Seller stated car was in great condition.
We pick it up since he hit buy it now. So we're were stuck with it once he had already paid. Right when I get there it had 2 misfire codes. Bad alternator and battery. I've put like 500 in it of my own money and still have issues. I know I can fix it but I'm not in the best financial situation at the moment.
Had a bad divorce and was paying up the rear in alimony and child support.

cbr repsol

Established Member
That number 2 cylinder keeps posing up a misfire code. I've read online that the imrc can possibly cause a misfire.
I've replaced the plugs, wires, coils and it still keeps coming back after about 10 to 20 miles of driving.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I'm a very good mechanic but when you don't have a lot of money for parts it kind of affects you being able to fix stuff.
If I do end up keeping it I would do a coyote swap myself when I get some extra money . I figure starting out with newer technology might be better for this particular car. The battery exploded on the other owner and acid got everywhere. Ate up vacuum lines, wiring harness. I've fixed it thus far but I think everything is just old.

96GT226410

Established Member
I'm a very good mechanic but when you don't have a lot of money for parts it kind of affects you being able to fix stuff.
If I do end up keeping it I would do a coyote swap myself when I get some extra money . I figure starting out with newer technology might be better for this particular car. The battery exploded on the other owner and acid got everywhere. Ate up vacuum lines, wiring harness. I've fixed it thus far but I think everything is just old.

Damn, that's rough. You ever thought about getting rid of the air system?

96GT226410

Established Member
The only prob was I need to smog it since I just got it.
So with missing components it won't pass.

Oh, I gotcha. Good luck with the diagnosis. Seeing as you just got the cat or doesn't hold that much sentimental value to you yet. If you're not interested in a project you might want to reconsider it.

96GT226410

Established Member
I removed my valve covers, timing cover, motor mounts, water pump, oil adapter, and exhaust manifolds today. I'll remove my oil pan right before I'm going to send the engine away for the rebuild.

20170402_165937_zps1fq5gdh1.jpg

20170402_165950_zps21ksbfip.jpg

I'm debating getting rid of the air pump and/or the EGR. I'm most likely going to keep it, unless someone gives me a good reason to get rid of it...

20170402_170000_zpsoislp7bx.jpg

cbr repsol

Established Member
Well I just wanted a legit car I could drive and mod as I went.
With it having so many issues it hasn't been worth it imo. My dad paid 3800 for the car and he got ripped off. The seller screwed him with a inaccurate description. I guy stuck with a pile. As far as everything else the car is in pretty good shape exterior and interior wise.
Maybe I would be better off just scrapping the car or selling everything off of it to recoup some money back? I had a 04 mystichrome whippled cobra before this pile. Car was immaculate. I sold it for 22k right before I got divorced.
Regret everyday selling it but I really didn't have much choice.

Sent from my LG-H910 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread