What Coolant Type?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Curious as to what type or color coolant 03-04 Cobra owners are using? I've read of people using various types? Green, Yellow , etc.. but Ford recommends Yellow for the 04 Cobra?

I am getting ready to do the Reische 170 deg thermostat and wanted to perform a coolant flush.

Thanks.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Gold/Yellow and green are pretty much the same thing - yellow is marketed "long life". Use either one.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I run store bought Preston 50/50 to keep it simple. No worries about swapping out in the winter or corrosion from improper mixing of additive like water wetter and water

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I run store bought Preston 50/50 to keep it simple. No worries about swapping out in the winter or corrosion from improper mixing of additive like water wetter and water

So you dont like using water wetter?

I recently read through one of the Hot links on the Reische performance thermostat and 1 of the recommendations was to use water wetter with proper coolant mix, combined with their T-stat for maximum efficiency, and most people posted great results?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

Are you using a fluid exchange machine? If not, you are not replacing enough antifreeze.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you're going to flush the system, which I would recommend, then I would suggest using this:

It is one of the best coolants made. Ford Gold is the devil. I wouldn't run it in anything with an oil cooler. This stuff will clean the system out pretty well:

Comp04svt

Established Member
Another vote for the Rotella ELC like mentioned by SID. I just did a complete flush to get rid of the standard green coolant with the Rotella this past May. Really happy with it so far as the car runs about 5 degrees cooler too.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
If you're going to flush the system, which I would recommend, then I would suggest using this:

It is one of the best coolants made. Ford Gold is the devil. I wouldn't run it in anything with an oil cooler. This stuff will clean the system out pretty well:

Thanks SID, and you all for the recomendations.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Another vote for the Rotella ELC like mentioned by SID. I just did a complete flush to get rid of the standard green coolant with the Rotella this past May. Really happy with it so far as the car runs about 5 degrees cooler too.

Just a note, Rotella ELC (red) and Rotella Ultra ELC (yellow) are not the same thing. Ultra is the newer formulation and has been designed to tolerate more heat (EGR coolers and Re-Gen cycles) and aluminum. I prefer to use Ultra ELC in most applications, but regular ELC is still better than pretty much anything else (I run it in my 6.4 Powerstroke).

Thanks SID, and you all for the recomendations.

Not a problem. I'm working on a few coolant related articles.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Not a problem. I'm working on a few coolant related articles.

Looking forward to the read, there a lot of different opinions on what to use in these cars. I was reading the HOT Link to the Reische performance thermostat and it caught my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread