What brand pistons are you running, and do you have piston slap when cold and warm?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I have Diamond pistons, but don't remember what the specs are or what rings were used.

Will look it up when I get home. I have some slight slap, but it doesn't take long to go away. I thought forged parts were loader anyways.

Posted via Topify using Android

Shaunk

Established Member
We have used manley,cp,diamond,probe and many others with zero issues. But if your shooting for a higher hp number and going to run significant boost your builder "may" open up the ptw and you could experience some cold start noise.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Any piston will have "slap" if the clearances are too large. Conversely, all pistons won't have slap if the clearances are correct.

Shaunk

Established Member
The piston slap noise could be made worse if your machinist does not use a torque plate when final honing the blocks. On modulars I have seen/measured some blocks will move certain cylinders around a lot!

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Some pistons have to slap because of their design. A properly setup, high strength 2618 alloy piston will have piston slap. If it doesn't, somethings wrong.

For a naturally aspirated engine that is not subjected to severe detonation, a lower strength 4032 alloy forged aluminum piston will have no problem supporting 500+ rwhp and 8,000 RPM, and they won't knock at start up because they dont expand as much as 2618. An added bonus is they weigh less so free up more horsepower.

MT0911

Established Member
I've had great luck with CP 2618 Pistons at 700whp. Very little slap on cold starts but quiet for the most part. Piston slap is pretty normal to an extent. Just make sure your clearances are good.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
The piston slap noise could be made worse if your machinist does not use a torque plate when final honing the blocks. On modulars I have seen/measured some blocks will move certain cylinders around a lot!

And if you don't use s torque plate, you'll probably have significant blow by to compliment the slap.

Posted via Topify using Android

Users who are viewing this thread