What block is stronger then a teksid?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Livernois claims the 05-10 blocks are.

I will take my chances with the Teksid as there is tons of info to support it's strength claim.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I love me some aluminum Teksid blocks... and they're a great bang for the buck and weight.

The iron blocks are stronger though, not sure if there are differences in the years, but I know it's common to switch to iron when 1500+hp is the plan. Not only for strength, but the stiffness and smaller thermal expansion helps with big boost.

Not sure if you were talking about 4.6 in general or just the aluminum blocks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
When I was having my 4.6 aluminator rebuilt I found several things saying that they are the same as the 3v 4.6 blocks and weigh something like 15 lbs more than other aluminum blocks. It was also stated that these blocks survived 2x the duty cycles of previous blocks.

I read it on the internet so it must be true

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
John Mihovetz uses a Teksid block and is the fastest modular in the world.. Sorry but that's enough for me. Best bang for the buck, holds 2000+hp (yes there are some mods to his current block) but if you look on some of his old posts he was holding 1800rwhp with a stock teksid I want to say.

Helomech74

Established Member
05-10 3V blocks (same as Aluminator blocks) are the strongest Aluminum block on the market, but it's marginal at best over the Teksid IMO. In terms of cost, it's hard to beat the Teksid.

JM uses the Teksid, but it's far from stock, so you can't really compare that to a street prepped engine.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
His current setup is a highly modified block, but like 6-7yrs ago it wasn't as modified as it is now. I mean he was still pushing 1500+ thru a relatively stock block. People don't realize that simply deburring the block, adding the new dowles and not boring out the block automatically to .020 over does for strength.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What testing has been done to substantiate this claim?

And how much, out of curiosity, is it to resleeve a Teksid to make it a 5.0 without a stroker?

just a few years of dyno testing and engine failure analysis at our facility. you reach a certain point where the main system just shows it's limit on the teksid much earlier than the 3v block. As far as sleeving, give us a shout and we can put together a quote.

John Mihovetz uses a Teksid block and is the fastest modular in the world.. Sorry but that's enough for me. Best bang for the buck, holds 2000+hp (yes there are some mods to his current block) but if you look on some of his old posts he was holding 1800rwhp with a stock teksid I want to say.

And he used to used B-heads which made people believe that they were better than GT heads. Until of course he switched and then everyone realized that GT heads were better like we had said all along. Remember when he started building that car, the 3v wasn't even past paper design status yet. Being he already had everything built around a certain platform, why change, even if there is something better?

05-10 3V blocks (same as Aluminator blocks) are the strongest Aluminum block on the market, but it's marginal at best over the Teksid IMO. In terms of cost, it's hard to beat the Teksid.

JM uses the Teksid, but it's far from stock, so you can't really compare that to a street prepped engine.

While the block material may only be marginally stronger, the main system is far superior in the 3v. The bigger issue is that people charge a premium for a teksid, and often convince people to move away from a 3v block. This is a step backwards no matter how you look at it.

His current setup is a highly modified block, but like 6-7yrs ago it wasn't as modified as it is now. I mean he was still pushing 1500+ thru a relatively stock block. People don't realize that simply deburring the block, adding the new dowles and not boring out the block automatically to .020 over does for strength.

But again, remember when that was first put together. If you started that program today you can be assured it would use different parts.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I guess that's true.. I mean ultimately either block will do just fine in stock form for any street car lol. I mean we are comparing street cars to full on 60psi race cars ahaha :beer:

What's a premium for a teksid lol? I've bought 4 low mileage literally only needing a hone to get the cylinders perfect for $300/ shipped

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
You can pick up entire Mark VIII engines for $300. I have a Teksid in the Cobra and three in my shed.

At what point do you need to worry about the mains on a Teksid? And the sleeves?

Helomech74

Established Member
You can pick up entire Mark VIII engines for $300. I have a Teksid in the Cobra and three in my shed.

At what point do you need to worry about the mains on a Teksid? And the sleeves?

Don't waste your money on sleeving the block, especially if you're going to run any boost, the stock bore motor will do just fine. As for the mains, I've never had an issue on any of my Teksid motors even when pushed to well over 1200hp. I have seen instances of galling on the main caps, but it wasn't the norm from what I've experienced.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't waste your money on sleeving the block, especially if you're going to run any boost, the stock bore motor will do just fine. As for the mains, I've never had an issue on any of my Teksid motors even when pushed to well over 1200hp. I have seen instances of galling on the main caps, but it wasn't the norm from what I've experienced.

Thank you for the info.

How is you bad boy build going?

Helomech74

Established Member
Thank you for the info.

How is you bad boy build going?

Very slow going. Between work deployment rotations and lack of motivation, it's been sitting for almost 2 years. I managed to finally get the motor set into the car and started installing the new fuel system my last time home, but that's as far as I got. I might be able to possibly get it started in the next few months, but it won't be another 6 months to a year before I finish it completely.

Users who are viewing this thread