What Are You Using For Electrical Connections?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
So I am have quite a few electrical connections to make for the car and I am trying to decide how I want to tackle them.

For the power wire for the amps and FC3 relay I was looking at the crimp ferrules and heat shrink.

For the gauges and head unit, I was looking at making my own harnesses. My other two options are to just do crimp connectors with heat shrink or butt connectors with heat shrink. As an FYI, I only need 8 wires connected on the head unit. All the speakers are run off amps so no speaker connections at the head unit other than the RCAs.

What would you guys do? Where and what are you guys buying? I want a really clean install on all of this.

Like mistletoe, I’m hung where you will see.

olympic

Established Member
If the head unit has a detachable harness, you can use butt connecters since the wires are not exposed to the elements. Just use the right size and do it properly. If the harness does not detach then you may want to install an 8 pin connector incase you ever have to pull it out.

For larger wire (amps, etc), I tend to use copper lug terminals and crimp them on with the tool below. A few wacks with a big hammer and it's done. Then heat shrink the joint.

71Nv9jimcPL._SL1500_.jpg

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Solder connections for me but they can be a pain!!
This...i had tons of electrical issues with my boat thanks to the previous owner. I rewired almost everything and hand soldered it all, , with shrink wrap as well...even the trailer wires and I havnt had an issue since. I use that solder gun more than I thought I would

Yes it sucked but its been worth it

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
https://amzn.to/37njyFy

I am looking at this. Thoughts?

One of the big things is going to be the wiring of the outputs from the gauges to the MS3PNP.

My stereo harness was cut at some point so I figured making a new harness would help if I ever make a change again.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited by a moderator:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sucks someone cut the harness instead of buying the cheap ass connection.

For my radio stuff I just us the heat shrink butsplices, never had a problem. I bought a cheap crimper for the big terminals and the harbor freight marine heat shrink.

Blown 89

Established Member
Don't half ass it, lead solder everything and seal it with a high quality shrink tube with a silicone lining. For larger diameter power wires use a distribution block. Knukocepts makes good blocks, terminals, and wiring.

If you don't have a good gun or soldering terminal use this opportunity to get one and take the time to learn how to solder correctly (yes there are a lot of wrong ways).

There's nothing worse than half assed wiring done by some idiot with a crimper.

john11gt

Established Member
For a radio? I would probably just butt connector and heat shrink.

when I re wires my fox, I soldered and heat shrunk and then I got a label maker and labeled the wires going to power distribution blocks and to the switches and stuff and used clear heat shrink over the labels.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I wired my 69 Camaro Painless with their Drag Harness initially via uninsulated connectors, crimp, solder, and heat shrink except for the quick disconnects which I used a single crimp ratcheting tool from Amazon (Ancor Brand) and insulated quick disconnects.

Some thoughts about this...
- Add a drop of oil to the quick connectors so they come back apart again. They seem to stick together almost too well.
- I'd buy all the connectors from McMaster to ensure you're getting a good quality connector (T&B or 3M brand, I have always gotten 3M from them).
- There should be no issue using simply a good crimp and no solder as solder isn't used say on Airplanes or in commercial environments, BUT they also use a many thousand dollar MIL Spec crimper for the connections. Adding just a touch of solder after crimping should ensure it won't come back apart. This is assuming you are buying non insulated connectors (ring, butt, etc). The quick connectors are not solderable, so buy a good ratcheting crimper. I've been happy with the ancor brand for $50 off Amazon.

Last edited:

96dreamer

Established Member
I used these when installing my ms3pro ultimate and a bunch of other projects. They work very well and are super easy to use. You get a strong solder connection as well as water tight heat shrink.

Qibaok 220 PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Electrical Wire Terminals Insulated Butt Splices 22-18 A.W.G

Edit :I've been made aware Amazon links don't seem to be working right for some reason. If you search "solder heat shrink butt connectors" you'll get a ton of results.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Carefully measure, cut, wrap together, then solder and shrink wrap. Works every time. Lasts forever. Won't pull apart (or fall apart). Won't corrode. :p

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Solder with marine heat shrink. That's how I do every wire splice. Can do the complete task in about 1 minute with a handheld butane torch for the soldering.

GodStang

Established Member
I used these when installing my ms3pro ultimate and a bunch of other projects. They work very well and are super easy to use. You get a strong solder connection as well as water tight heat shrink.

Qibaok 220 PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Electrical Wire Terminals Insulated Butt Splices 22-18 A.W.G

Edit :I've been made aware Amazon links don't seem to be working right for some reason. If you search "solder heat shrink butt connectors" you'll get a ton of results.

I used these also and worked great so far.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a battery-operated soldering iron that is just the handiest damn thing for small-gauge wiring jobs. It heats up quickly, and it also cools down quickly, so you ain't burning yourself on the tip (or melting holes in your carpet)!!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Those are awesome. I'm going to cover them in a video next year.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a battery-operated soldering iron that is just the handiest damn thing for small-gauge wiring jobs. It heats up quickly, and it also cools down quickly, so you ain't burning yourself on the tip (or melting holes in your carpet)!!

I should have asked Santa for this:

https://amzn.to/2F4GM7c

Users who are viewing this thread