What’s it like to drive a 900hp Street car:

KEVINS

Established Member
This story will be a tame compared to what it will be in the future but I finally got a couple “easy” and quick pulls lately so I felt like writing something that could be entertaining.

Car: Twin Turbo 2V, 4r70, 3.27’s, 325/45-17 DR’s, 32psi on E85 = 900+hp

Since getting the car off the dyno last year I haven’t done any boost runs until lately b/c all I wanted to do was drive and enjoy the car for a change without worrying about hurting it... that is until the last couple of weeks. Simply driving around town it’s very quiet with three mufflers and very docile; I really enjoy just driving it around town.

With 900hp on tap things could get outta hand real quick so I’m doing the smart thing and just get used to the power it has at lower speeds and to see how easy it is to control the power.

A road to my house goes about 1/2 block before I turn to go home so the first time I tested the power (late at night about two weeks ago) I entered onto that stretch of road in first gear and gently brought the speed/rpm up to around 4000rpm then shifted into second gear and then gave it about 1/8 throttle. HOLY SHIT! At 1/8 throttle the boost hits friggen instantly and the car starts to just haze the DR’s as the car is pulling like a MoFo! This only last about 200-300ft before I let out of it and easily slow down to make my turn to go to the house.. WOW OH FRIGGEN WOW! I pull into the driveway and my legs are shaking from the nervs going ape shit in me….that was friggen AMAZING and REALLY FUN! Time to take a cold shower..

Late last night I decided to do it again but this time try 1/3 to ½ throttle to see how much tire spin there will be and how controllable it will be. Again I entered onto that stretch of road in first gear and gently brought the speed/rpm up to around 4000rpm then shifted into second gear and then gave it about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. OMFG! The boost was INSTANT and annihilated the tires, boiling them as the car starts to go slightly sideways while still being controllable...think funny car burnout! I let out of it after a few hundred feet and again easily slowed down to make my turn. The power is just violent and takes very little throttle to incinerate the tires with this much boost even though the throttle was still mostly closed.

What I like is it’s very docile and quiet until in boost at which time shit happens instantly so with this much power on tap I have to understand when I can/cannot get into the throttle which is what I’m quickly learning. When the car was only making 700+hp I would test the car in second gear starting at 60mph but there’s no way I wanted to see what would happen going that fast with 900hp on tap so starting slow is a good way to learn the car.

ks

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Get an adjustable panhard bar to move the rear to the center and it will get rid of the tendency for the backend to come around.

KEVINS

Established Member
Get an adjustable panhard bar to move the rear to the center and it will get rid of the tendency for the backend to come around.
It was the crowns in the lanes that caused it. I actually moved towards the center of the road straddling two different lanes to get me farther from the curb.

ks

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Honestly I have a 900rwhp six speed car..took the better part of 4+yrs to build. I jumped in it but really didn't do shit until I was at the strip. You're way better off getting used to the power at the drag strip. and a hell of a lot safer..

2nd gear is useless in my car on Hoosier DR's on the street. Even if I heat them up. I do 3rd gear pulls all day long and shift into fourth and stay in it for a little bit before getting out of the gas. I would recommend this approach in your car to keep it stable and roll on the throttle

KEVINS

Established Member
Honestly I have a 900rwhp six speed car..took the better part of 4+yrs to build. I jumped in it but really didn't do shit until I was at the strip. You're way better off getting used to the power at the drag strip. and a hell of a lot safer..

2nd gear is useless in my car on Hoosier DR's on the street. Even if I heat them up. I do 3rd gear pulls all day long and shift into fourth and stay in it for a little bit before getting out of the gas. I would recommend this approach in your car to keep it stable and roll on the throttle

Nearest strip is 2.5hrs away so I'm not going to get used to it there but I agree it would be safer.
The tuner said that he was able to light the tires up in drive at anything under 115mph so again this isn't a safer option, IMO. When the car was making 700+ it would haze the tires good around 70-80mph in 2nd gear but it was very controllable and went straight. I'll do it my way as I prefer to be going slower until I learn how to control the throttle/power.

ks

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Nearest strip is 2.5hrs away so I'm not going to get used to it there but I agree it would be safer.
The tuner said that he was able to light the tires up in drive at anything under 115mph so again this isn't a safer option, IMO. When the car was making 700+ it would haze the tires good around 70-80mph in 2nd gear but it was very controllable and went straight. I'll do it my way as I prefer to be going slower until I learn how to control the throttle/power.

ks

For sure do it your way.. 2.5hrs isn't that far to have traction and be in a safer situation.. No matter which way you spin it the car is going sideways whether it be at 40 or 80mph. Keep learning it like you said, and make sure you're on a clear ass road lol.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
My Lightning made 997/1012, I didn't drive it often on the street with race gas and the boost cranked up but when I did, holy hell.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Spinning ain’t winning. Congrats on a 900hp 13 second car!!

Just kidding, but meh, not really. Time to adjust suspension, etc.

You said the car made 700hp and was sketchy at 60mph with any real throttle? Why add more power if the car didn’t hook at all at that level? Just being devils advocate.

At 700hp, my hellcat hooks at 40-60mph with drag radials. I know it’s a decent amount heavier, but it sounds like you need to focus on suspension

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Car sounds amazing buddy - but be safe - and I agree on the suspension comments. Get that thing to plant the power and you will really enjoy it.

john11gt

Established Member
Spinning ain’t winning. Congrats on a 900hp 13 second car!!

Just kidding, but meh, not really. Time to adjust suspension, etc.

You said the car made 700hp and was sketchy at 60mph with any real throttle? Why add more power if the car didn’t hook at all at that level? Just being devils advocate.

Pretty much this. The car sounds sick but I don’t get having all the extra power on tap if all it does is boil the tires off.

Machdup1

Established Member
Why add more power if the car didn’t hook at all at that level? Just being devils advocate.

436FC704-FA8A-40D3-98DA-A52B45F673FB.jpeg

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
For sure do it your way.. 2.5hrs isn't that far to have traction and be in a safer situation.. No matter which way you spin it the car is going sideways whether it be at 40 or 80mph. Keep learning it like you said, and make sure you're on a clear ass road lol.

a 5 hour round trip isnt that far?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Im not sure I'm convinced. You should let me drive it to confirm your findings, for scientific reasons.

This story will be a tame compared to what it will be in the future but I finally got a couple “easy” and quick pulls lately so I felt like writing something that could be entertaining.

Car: Twin Turbo 2V, 4r70, 3.27’s, 325/45-17 DR’s, 32psi on E85 = 900+hp

Since getting the car off the dyno last year I haven’t done any boost runs until lately b/c all I wanted to do was drive and enjoy the car for a change without worrying about hurting it... that is until the last couple of weeks. Simply driving around town it’s very quiet with three mufflers and very docile; I really enjoy just driving it around town.

With 900hp on tap things could get outta hand real quick so I’m doing the smart thing and just get used to the power it has at lower speeds and to see how easy it is to control the power.

A road to my house goes about 1/2 block before I turn to go home so the first time I tested the power (late at night about two weeks ago) I entered onto that stretch of road in first gear and gently brought the speed/rpm up to around 4000rpm then shifted into second gear and then gave it about 1/8 throttle. HOLY SHIT! At 1/8 throttle the boost hits friggen instantly and the car starts to just haze the DR’s as the car is pulling like a MoFo! This only last about 200-300ft before I let out of it and easily slow down to make my turn to go to the house.. WOW OH FRIGGEN WOW! I pull into the driveway and my legs are shaking from the nervs going ape shit in me….that was friggen AMAZING and REALLY FUN! Time to take a cold shower..

Late last night I decided to do it again but this time try 1/3 to ½ throttle to see how much tire spin there will be and how controllable it will be. Again I entered onto that stretch of road in first gear and gently brought the speed/rpm up to around 4000rpm then shifted into second gear and then gave it about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. OMFG! The boost was INSTANT and annihilated the tires, boiling them as the car starts to go slightly sideways while still being controllable...think funny car burnout! I let out of it after a few hundred feet and again easily slowed down to make my turn. The power is just violent and takes very little throttle to incinerate the tires with this much boost even though the throttle was still mostly closed.

What I like is it’s very docile and quiet until in boost at which time shit happens instantly so with this much power on tap I have to understand when I can/cannot get into the throttle which is what I’m quickly learning. When the car was only making 700+hp I would test the car in second gear starting at 60mph but there’s no way I wanted to see what would happen going that fast with 900hp on tap so starting slow is a good way to learn the car.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
A good rear wheel/tire set up and learning to roll into the power properly (instead of just stabbing the pedal) is paramount running high hp on the street.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread