Went for a ride with 4.10

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Anyone here put 4.10 or higher and hated them?
I was seriously thinking about putting 4.10 but the previous owner of my car told me he used to have 3.73 and hated them, it was too "racey" and was getting bad gas mileage, so he ended up putting 3.55 instead.
Putting new gears is pretty expensive so I want to make sure :)
(I am 99% using my car as a DD with the VERY occasional auto-x)

I had 3.73s and hated them too lmao so I got 4.10s! And my car is my dd

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
373s here and I didnt feel a difference to the OEM 327s. Would 410s be good option for boosted set ups ?

I have 4.10s in my daily driven 13psi terminator and I like them.

I can def see how these folks are saying it is no problem at all to go deeper for a n/a 4v

SVT Rob

Established Member
This is what I was told, when the 96 Cobra first was on the market. 4.10's for a GT, 4.30's for a Cobra. I was thinking about 4.30's for mine, but not sure if I want the motive gears or not.

If I keep it, it will be getting a Coyote swap done, so maybe 4.56's and a T56 in it and I'd be happy.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
4.10s or bust dude!

Max I get per tank is 180 miles, about 12.6 gallons. Idk how you all get over 200. That's 80% city and the rest hwy.

SVT Rob

Established Member
I get around 240 miles per tank, 90% city with stock gears. Fill-ups are around 13.5 gallons.

Driving up from Florida, I got 330-350 per tank, though.

1997Cobra

Established Member
309rwhp is a touch more than most full bolt on 96-98 cobras make lol I'm sure it felt even better with the 4.10s

Installed 4.56's last weekend. Mine makes 300 wheel.

I'm. Telling. You....

4.30's AT LEAST.
and is next to bone stock...what do you have, o/r x and a catback?

i will also vouch that 430s are completely doable on the eway at 80 mph

Last edited:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
My car makes 500+rwhp and over 450rwtq. With the 4:10's it seems like 1st gear is about 30ft long and is basically a total bitch to use. 2nd gear isn't much better.. I'm on the largest pulley now ~10psi on my gauge (I have porting and an unrestricted exhaust w/LT's on a built motor), I'm strongly considering putting the 3:73's that the car came with back in.. The car seems to run too hot and it's not happy in 5th gear on the freeway.. It's only gonna get worse when I add more boost. Would love to jump up to ~15psi with the other gears, seems like the car would work better that way.

Last edited:

Jonesy98

Established Member
im getting around 220 to 240 to a tank. all city, with just a few runs here and there in mexico

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I've been running 4.30s in my daily driven Cobra for more than 6 years. There is absolutely no reason to go less than 4.30s.

Av3ng3d

Established Member
So it's safe to say if you plan on going FI in the future don't go higher than 4.10's? I have 3.73's right now and I've considered 4.10s or 4.30's but it's not a matter of if I'm going to turbo the car, but when. So I've been a little skeptical to switch out the 3.73's.

Last edited:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
So it's safe to say if you plan on going FI in the future don't go higher than 4.10's? I have 3.73's right now and I've considered 4.10s or 4.30's but it's not a matter of if I'm going to turbo the car, but when. So I've been a little skeptical to switch out the 3.73's.

Turbo I would definitely keep them 3:73 or less. You're going to build boost so the car will like the taller gearing.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
4.30s worked just fine for the road course.

So are you shifting into 5th? I've never used 5th gear on the road course with the 3.73s. My philosophy is the less I manipulate the car , i.e. an extra shift, the better which is why I've never gone any steeper.

On the tracks that I run, there are only a couple corners where I'm either at the top of 2nd (followed by a quick shift to 3rd) or a bit low in the RPM range for 3rd for max power - I'll typically chose the higher gear so I'm not braking/downshifting/turning in near the same time which may induce errors (I can't heal/Toe in this car to save my life) -- I'm sure if I had data acqu I could tell which is truely faster, but using the inaccurate method of seconds on the GoPro they were damn near identical.

I think I'd be okay with going into 5th if I had an extended shift handle - It's a long reach for me if I'm straped in tight (I'm really short)

I'll have to play around with the gear calc a bit too

Last edited:

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
and is next to bone stock...what do you have, o/r x and a catback?

i will also vouch that 430s are completely doable on the eway at 80 mph

I'm just saying 309rwhp is pretty impressive for a non-pi 2v. And how many 96-98 Cobras do you see over 310rwhp that don't have short runner intakes? Most of us make anywhere from 280-290 without longtubes

Expurple

Established Member
Do NOT go 373's. this car needs at least 4.30's

The engine behaves more like a European V8 ( built for high end ) and you want as much gearing as possible for this.

I have 3.73's and if I wasn't going turbo I'd throw in some 4.56's in her.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The best gears are like the best color or the best wheels; purely subjective. My recommendation to anyone wanting to do a gear swap is to drive a couple cars that have steeper gears to see what you like or dislike.

Users who are viewing this thread