Well.... this'll teach me to ignore my truck.

styl0us

Roh-Tuh-Ree Powah
Established Member
Welp. I ignored the S-10 for a while and decided to give my 7 a rest for a while as I was using it as my DD.

I had drained the oil, anti-freeze, gas, etc while I let it sit, like I always do with a car I'm going to let sit for extended periods of time. So before starting it for the first time in a while I filled her up with oil, anti-freeze, and emptied a 5 gallon gas can that I use for my lawnmower into the gas tank, checked the oil, made sure it was full.

I went to start the truck and it started fine, idled perfectly, didn't see any smoke from anywhere, so I pulled it out of the garage and decided to take it for a spin to make sure everything was alright with it.

Well, I got about 4-5 miles with it, and it shut off out of no where, no warning, no dash lights, no sputtering, which kinda confuses me. It gave me absolutely NO indication of what it was about to do, and I know it didn't blow up because there was no smoke or oil trail behind me.

So, now I get to play the guessing game as to what the hell went wrong with it, anyone else wanna take a stab in the dark?

Here's a hint: The truck starts when it's cold, and it'll run, but it shuts off after 25-30 minutes of running.

One of my friends suggested the CPS (crank position sensor), but according to Advance Autoparts and Autozone S-10's don't have one... (huh? say what? that's new.....)

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
What year S-10>??? Does it have fuel and spark after it dies>??? I'm still trying to figure out why you drain all the fluids when it sits though. :shrug:

styl0us

Roh-Tuh-Ree Powah
Established Member
What year S-10>??? Does it have fuel and spark after it dies>??? I'm still trying to figure out why you drain all the fluids when it sits though. :shrug:

Something my dad drilled into my head years ago when he used to store his car over the winter (78 Fairmont with a 302), he'd drain all the fluids then put new in when he was ready to bring it out in the summer.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
Im going with sensor on this one, which Im not sure. Pull trouble codes. It may have something in there to start you on the path. Also, how is your vacuuum? Any leaks?

RussZTT

Established Member
Can you pull any codes? My mothers car did the exact same thing. Ended up being the high pressure switch in the AC causing the car to shut off or run like crap. Makes no sense but thats what it was.

styl0us

Roh-Tuh-Ree Powah
Established Member
Im going with sensor on this one, which Im not sure. Pull trouble codes. It may have something in there to start you on the path. Also, how is your vacuuum? Any leaks?

Shouldn't be any vac leaks, vac lines were replaced before the motor was put in. I've heard from multiple sources (one of which is one of the guys from the s10v8 conversion forum) that these trucks DO have a CPS in the 2.8, and others (Autoparts stores) that they don't. I'm in no way an expert on Chevy's 2.8 motor, nor have I ever cared about the motor, but I really don't feel like V8 swapping this truck just to avoid a simple issue like I did on another one that I had a few years back.

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
2.8 V6 is the problem LOL

the reason there isnt a Crank position sensor is because thats not a Coil on plug engine, thats a distributor ignition, no need for the crank position, the ignition gets its pickup from the cam gear.

EDIT: beat me to it damnit ^

Last edited:

styl0us

Roh-Tuh-Ree Powah
Established Member
Can you pull any codes? My mothers car did the exact same thing. Ended up being the high pressure switch in the AC causing the car to shut off or run like crap. Makes no sense but thats what it was.

I'll see if I can borrow an OBD-0/OBD-I code scanner. I only have an OBD-II scanner in the garage.

89 would be OBD-0, wouldn't it?

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
I'll see if I can borrow an OBD-0/OBD-I code scanner. I only have an OBD-II scanner in the garage.

89 would be OBD-0, wouldn't it?
on the pre-95's you should be able to use a paper clip or a jumper wire. now this is on fords and acuras, and id imagine che'y be the same OBD is OBD. look up directions if you can.

styl0us

Roh-Tuh-Ree Powah
Established Member
The 2.8 is your problem. Drop an LS1 in and you wouldn't have these problems. :D

Btw, I do have an LT1 readily available from my nephews wrecked Z28 Camaro, I just won't wanna go through another V8 swap at the moment, maybe when I have more time on my hands I'd do it again, I loved my LS1/383 S-10 I had a few years back, it ALWAYS got looks from ricers and they always hesitated revving at me.

Users who are viewing this thread