Well.... this'll teach me to ignore my truck.

Qwk GT

Established Member
What blows my mind is, the only company that makes a "performance/aftermarket" distributor for a 6 cylinder engine is Mallory. Might pick it up just for shits and giggles.

I dunno. I know a lot of people like msd an all, but all I've ever had is bad experiences with there product. I think its like what pro-m used to be like. Sometimes their stuff works fine, and some others have nothing but trouble with them.

I've had an msd digital 6plus and coil on my 87gt, worked ok I guess, but I had a slight issue with a small intermittent stutter around 3k rpms. That could have been an issue with the coil (see below), but never found out, sold the car to a friend who totaled it before finding out exactly what it was.

I've had a msd coil on the 95 when it was NA, car ran like utter shit. Returned it and got another w/out being charged, same result. Put the stock one on and the engine purred like a kitten.

Had an MSD BTM that came with the Vortech S-trim, car would ping on the dyno and all around run pretty bad. Replaced with a Crane Box and got a successful dyno pull w/out pinging.

JMO. A lot of people have had success with MSD, but I just won't put anything from them on my car. And yeah, guess I misunderstood your response, been a long day... Good luck man, sounds like an annoying problem to have, especially on a DD.

Last edited:

styl0us

Roh-Tuh-Ree Powah
Established Member
I dunno. I know a lot of people like msd an all, but all I've ever had is bad experiences with there product. I think its like what pro-m used to be like. Sometimes their stuff works fine, and some others have nothing but trouble with them.

I've had an msd digital 6plus and coil on my 87gt, worked ok I guess, but I had a slight issue with a small intermittent stutter around 3k rpms. That could have been an issue with the coil (see below), but never found out, sold the car to a friend who totaled it before finding out exactly what it was.

I've had a msd coil on the 95 when it was NA, car ran like utter shit. Returned it and got another w/out being charged, same result. Put the stock one on and the engine purred like a kitten.

Had an MSD BTM that came with the Vortech S-trim, car would ping on the dyno and all around run pretty bad. Replaced with a Crane Box and got a successful dyno pull w/out pinging.

JMO. A lot of people have had success with MSD, but I just won't put anything from them on my car. And yeah, guess I misunderstood your response, been a long day... Good luck man, sounds like an annoying problem to have, especially on a DD.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. My buddy in NC has an all MSD ignition on his 68 289HO Cali Special Mustang, and his 95 carb converted 'vert Cobra and both run flawlessly. And like I said, my B-Mod ran perfectly on the MSD ignition I had on it, not saying the Mallory didn't get the job done, but it pissed me off killing me in the final race of the season, and MSD held up for me, some people just have bad experiences like you did. I've heard stories of an MSD dying in the middle of a drag race, and other times it's run great, no one company is perfect, and sometimes bad shit gets out of the view of QC.

Users who are viewing this thread