Well there goes my air!!!

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Finally got the car up and running to take a lil cruise down the interstate to Miss. this weekend. Made the ride down there and had a blast (nice meeting my dude overbored, had fun talking stangs). Well as the title says I was mid way out there and poof smoke and a strange smell. Wasn't in boost (you just don't know how hard it was to not lay the hurt on the cars that pulled on the side of me revving) so I know it wasn't that. Thought I rolled over something and kept driving. No power loss and my scan showed all was good on the aeroforce. Then I got a phone call. Rolled the windows up and not long after began to sweat. No biggie, just turned up the air. Nothing:shrug: Then it was clear. That poof was my ac line touching the downpipe. Man I was happy that I didn't break it when I installed the kit, only to do it on the first real ride. Now that's done with and ill be ordering one tonight. If you do the kit please take extra care and wrap that line real good. USE EXTRA HEAT WRAP!

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
I wondered why it was so hot round here in October. Must be so you can truly "learn" your heat shield/wrap lesson. :shrug: But luckily CTC is only 12% less of a good time without A/C, even in 88 degree temps. :D. Get it fixed so we don't need our A/C's anymore. :)

Also might not be a bad idea to remove said line and have a custom one built rather than "hoping not to break the new factory line" when you bend it again.

Last edited:

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
Man i actually went to ctc at the very last minute , wish i wouldve known would have met up with you guys. Ran out there with my buddy in his TT chevy.

Turbosixx

Established Member
Sucks about your a/c. I took a ride out there last Tuesday. Too much traffic out there on the weekends for me.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
The little strip you get with the kit should be reinforced. I now know lol. Yea I think ill pm stevenstarke to see how he made out with his custom line. I don't really have a idea where to start on fabing up something. I had planed to go this morning but things changed and we went out there around 5. The coast was packed. We ended up going down the back road to make it to the mall and duck some traffic.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Well spent some time looking online and Ill be contacting a couple of places tomorrow that do ac lines. If anyone has some info please feel free to share.

CharlieR

Established Member
You should be able to bring the bent, broken original to a local place and they should be able to fix ya up with one "pre-bent" to keep it off the down pipe. I'd still shield/wrap it tho. :) There's a place here in Mobile that makes A/C and hydraulic lines so should be one in your area too.(because there's nothing in Mobile... :))

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Cool. Ill take it off tomorrow and see what the damage is. I been reading napa does them also. Ill call them and a few other places. My ends should be good its just the rubber must have came in contact with pipe. I knew I should have metal zip tied it but oh well. Lesson learned.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Ya bud it was great to meet you and your friends. Sucks about your A/C line but as you know I am in the same boat. Luckily it is a fairly easy fix and it wasn't the engine that went POOF. We all need to cruise sometime. One big happy TT family!

BUCKET

Established Member
Have the line rebuilt with a 1" shorter rubber hose. Split and wrap with dei heat sock then wrap in thermal tape. U can charge AC properly with DP off.

Dr Boost

Established Member
I had the stock line modified.......Like Bucket said, removed about an inch and a half of rubber at the crimp towards the compressor. This will bring down and lower the hose further from the turbo and pipe. The curved portion just below the turbo I had done with metal tubing and the complete hose is all wrapped with heat shielding.

stretchb

Established Member
I had a custom one built that runs into fender well and comes in under the batt. no where near heat.

drewzx3

Established Member
Ya bud it was great to meet you and your friends. Sucks about your A/C line but as you know I am in the same boat. Luckily it is a fairly easy fix and it wasn't the engine that went POOF. We all need to cruise sometime. One big happy TT family!

Are you the young guy I talked to while in traffic yesterday?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I wrapped mine with the heat shield that it comes with. Then I added a layer of heat wrap tape followed up by a layer of Thermo-Tec header wrap. I also have my down pipes wrapped as well.

When I pull the motor to put the built motor in I will have a custom line made.

Haven't had any issues so far.

CSG

Established Member
I wrapped mine with the heat shield that it comes with. Then I added a layer of heat wrap tape followed up by a layer of Thermo-Tec header wrap. I also have my down pipes wrapped as well.

When I pull the motor to put the built motor in I will have a custom line made.

Haven't had any issues so far.

Pretty much same here. Double wrap on the down pipes as well though. I would do custom if doing it again.

Users who are viewing this thread