Well the 2015 Mustang is here!!

jjd975

Established Member
Was hoping for a bump in power with all the "upgrades" mentioned. Change to the intake, heads and cams but still 420 horse?

jjd975

Established Member
Oh and can't wait to see price on the turbo 4. I bet guys will find ways to get a lot of power out it, could be a great option.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Was hoping for a bump in power with all the "upgrades" mentioned. Change to the intake, heads and cams but still 420 horse?

200 lbs lighter, though. I think it looks good but I'm happy with mine.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Upgrades for the V-8 engine include larger intake valves, larger exhaust valves, revised intake camshafts, revised exhaust camshafts, stiffer valve springs, new cylinder-head casting, sinter forged connecting rods, redesigned piston tops, and rebalanced forged crankshaft. The end result generates 420 horsepower and 396 lb-ft of torque.

After all these upgrades power is still rated at 420. Torque only gets a 6 ft. lb. increase over the previous generation. Perhaps the tune is leaving more on the table this time. In the next 6 months, this question will be answered.

The new intake manifold features charge motion control valves to partially close off the port flow when maintaining lower engine speeds. Air charge tumble and swirl increases improved air-fuel mixing by better fuel economy, idle stability, and lower emissions.

Roll back to 4.6L 3V technology, requiring more "delete" parts when upping the power of the engine. Don't know how I feel about this.

Weight was dropped from the automatic transmission with a freshly-redesigned case with cast-in-ribs, which also adds stiffness. Clutches have been improved internally with operating temperature increased to lower friction.

Weight loss from the case is a good thing, however.....designing it to run hotter? I'm assuming they made the case smaller (weight loss), holding less fluid, and tweaking the external cooler thermostat to open slower. Ford, all you had to do was use a better ATF that didn't thicken as much as it cooled.

I know what they were aiming for. The current 6R80 doesn't achieve full temperature on short trip driving. My 15 minute 8 mile drive will only raise ATF temps to the ~135*F range. That's why a better ATF which maintains a lower viscosity while cold and better anti-wear additive package was a great idea.

Some people install the deeper pan on the current 6R80, which isn't required. The OEM cooler has no problem keeping temps down on the street and drag racing.

Last edited:

calebnumber3

Established Member
This is what we have seen from Ford in the past. Introduce a new body leave the old drivetrain for a MY or two. Then introduce the new more powerful drivetrain. I believe it's what Ford is doing here. We probably won't see the new drivetrain until the new Camaro is introduced.

I was expect quite a bit more from the 2.3 ecoboost though. I'm still not sure how the V6 lost power either.

D.T.R

Established Member
The turbo 4 would probably be very bad ass, and I bet you the engine will be strong as hell, if it's anything like all the other ecoboost engines.
I wouldn't mind keeping my 14' and buying a 15 turbo 4cyl as DD

Last edited:

greenscobie86

Established Member
Looks good. Dont think I'd want to trade my '13 in for it though. Hopefully it will grow on me.

D.T.R

Established Member
Why in the world does Ford keep bringing out a new car and chassis with the previous power train basically, for the first year and then change it out? it's almost like ripping off all the people that get excited about the car and goes and buys it as soon as it comes out LMAO

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Why in the world does Ford keep bringing out a new car and chassis with the previous power train basically, for the first year and then change it out? it's almost like ripping off all the people that get excited about the car and goes and buys it as soon as it comes out LMAO

Because everyone buys 2 models of each generation, lol.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
cmon car guys....really???

with all those changes on the motor power will closer to or Higher than the BOSS..... ill put money on it

they will probably release new numbers...good marketing tactic

GT915

Established Member
Whenever something new comes along, it always takes some getting used to. I personally like the way it looks and look forward to seeing one lowered on a nice set of aftermarket wheels and tires. i'll be interested to see some numbers and driving impressions as well. I also wonder if some of the issues with the last manual tranny have been addressed.

NickSezz

Established Member
2015_coyote_engine_jdm_engineering.png

5.0jake

Established Member
Whenever something new comes along, it always takes some getting used to. I personally like the way it looks and look forward to seeing one lowered on a nice set of aftermarket wheels and tires. i'll be interested to see some numbers and driving impressions as well. I also wonder if some of the issues with the last manual tranny have been addressed.

Yup I agree. It looked a lot better on Good Morning America's unveiling imo and that wasn't even the 5.0.
Even when the 13' came out with new front and rear I was like meh at first and now I like it a lot more than the 11-12 look.

I won't consider trading until the bugs are worked out and it comes with a more powerful 5.0. A 10 speed auto would be nice too. The potential is definitely there. People getting the 15' 5.0 could get end up getting screwed like the 10' GT owners did from a powertrain standpoint. :nono:

I'm curious about the official curb weight and pricing.

scott_0

Established Member
think Ill wait till the next model year before I start working on my wife for one lol

87hatchy

Established Member
I don't understand how the v6 lost power.

I was expect quite a bit more from the 2.3 ecoboost though. I'm still not sure how the V6 lost power either.

^They are rating it lower because the turbo4 is the mid level mustang. The v6 is the base level. They do not want general consumers looking at the brochure and saying "Why would I pay more for the turbo 4 if the v6 has 5 more hp?"

They probably just de-tuned it, or lied about the hp numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread