Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
sambandit said:
Man o man, even if it was the same tune, you still gotta dyno the thing! Time after time we see this crap happening and it just shouldn't. GET YOUR CARS ON THE DYNO PEOPLE!!! Not all cars are the same, even if the mods are.
Can I give you a big AMEN on that? I am always preaching to folks to get their Cobras back on the dyno after every motor mod. It is cheap insurance folks. These blown motors do not like the work lean. And sometimes even the most unlikely mod ends up leaning out the A/F.

fubu795

Banned
PlatinumCobra said:
It's this comment:

what are u talking about?? i had the stock pulley and stock exhaust, i just put those mods in my sig so i would look cool

Ohhhhh he was just kidding, thats what he wants the svt rep to think.

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
He has mods....no pulley though. I was just curious if you got the thing on a dyno or not. So in all actuality you can't just say the tune was "good" because you don't know?!?! I may have felt ok but truely it wasn't! :shrug: I'm just trying to learn dude so don't take it as me trying to be smart or anything. Thanks

no i was just saying to platinum... hes calling me a lair, and i have no idea y?? but no i didn;t take it to a dyno... but it has to a ok tune... i even added alot fuel to be safe from the predator.... i mean i have had the pulley on for 6k miles.... and thats with hard drivin.... id say at least 20 track runs...and at least 50 160mph blasts

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Dam ant, you are a crazy speed demond... How fast were you going when you tried to put the car in 4th?

dougwg

Established Member
you can always put the $75 that you saved by not having the AF checked on a new motor :beer: J/K

you say your AF was good..... but if you had it around 11.4 or 11.2 you would have been fine chasing down that pesky STI

I think you had a good 1/4 mile tune...but NOT a good enough tune to be trying for a land speed record

Last edited:

BoneCrusher

Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
It's this comment:

what are u talking about?? i had the stock pulley and stock exhaust, i just put those mods in my sig so i would look cool

I don't know if it's a joke. May it is. Remember, many people are doing this daily. Trust me. This is not a stock 5.0 you can get down at Auto Zone for $699. It's a $10K motor (typically, but you can find them for less). You fry it and the warranty is out, you're screwed! Especially if the heads or block is cracked or damaged from the grenading.

I think you're using his thread as a chance to blow your own "if you can't pay don't play" horn, especially by cross posting your own thread. He admitted his fault and took his car to the dealer and is working WITH them not against them. Make your own choice but don't come on his thread which is going to help us all out (unfortunately to Anthony's cost) and start this beating a dead horse mod or don't mod issue.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
SALEENGTROUSH said:
i mean i have had the pulley on for 6k miles.... and thats with hard drivin.... id say at least 20 track runs...and at least 50 160mph blasts

:eek:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
SALEENGTROUSH said:
no i was just saying to platinum... hes calling me a lair, and i have no idea y?? but no i didn;t take it to a dyno... but it has to a ok tune... i even added alot fuel to be safe from the predator.... i mean i have had the pulley on for 6k miles.... and thats with hard drivin.... id say at least 20 track runs...and at least 50 160mph blasts

So it was a box tune?

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
o3SnakeBite said:
Dam ant, you are a crazy speed demond... How fast were you going when you tried to put the car in 4th?

NOT to fast... i was slowing down... i was prob at 4k in 4th gear when i heard detonation

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SALEENGTROUSH said:
no man the tune was 100% good... i know i never actually got it dynoed but it was fine... it was all my fault for goin that fast for that long :bash:
If you're saying the tune was 100% than I am assuming you had the A/F checked. If you didn't then you're basing that statement on what (maybe) the tuner told you, or you're just making an assumption. PLEASE tell me you got the A/F checked, and if so, what was it across the board?

I'm not ragging on you. I know this is a big time PITA and could end up costing you some big bucks. But I think there might be a lesson to be learned here that will benefit others. So please respond honestly. Thanks!
;-)

SICKBOY

Established Member
well as stated previously it pry didn't help doin that high speed shit for a prolonged amount of time....best of luck brother.....and just as i was feeling rather comfortable with ordering intake and exhaust...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
BoneCrusher said:
I think you're using his thread as a chance to blow your own "if you can't pay don't play" horn, especially by cross posting your own thread. He admitted his fault and took his car to the dealer and is working WITH them not against them. Make your own choice but don't come on his thread which is going to help us all out (unfortunately to Anthony's cost) and start this beating a dead horse mod or don't mod issue.

OK, fair enough. I've opened a new thread in Smack Down and will not post any more in this thread.

Unsubscribing...

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I guess so....still no confirmaton! :pop:

Who tuned your motor Saleen?
whats a box tune?? i had a rwtd tune, from dan, for the mods 2.8 pulley, upr cold air, mac 3 inch catback, upr o/r x pipe.... my mods are 2.8 pulley, upr cold air, mac 2 1/2 inch catback, mac o/r h pipe....so i mean my mods were basically the same, so i used his tune.... and his tune for his car was like 11.9 across the board

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
CobraBob said:
If you're saying the tune was 100% than I am assuming you had the A/F checked. If you didn't then you're basing that statement on what (maybe) the tuner told you, or you're just making an assumption. PLEASE tell me you got the A/F checked, and if so, what was it across the board?

I'm not ragging on you. I know this is a big time PITA and could end up costing you some big bucks. But I think there might be a lesson to be learned here that will benefit others. So please respond honestly. Thanks!
;-)

It's definetely gotten a message across to me! Also, he didn't hit the dyno to get the A/F ratio checked out. I'm just curious to see if this was a box tune!

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
dougwg said:
you can always put the $75 that you saved by not having the AF checked on a new motor :beer: J/K

you say your AF was good..... but if you had it around 11.4 or 11.2 you would have been fine chasing down that pesky STI

I think you had a good 1/4 mile tune...but NOT a good enough tune to be trying for a land speed record

haha slow down doug, the svt rep is comming tomorrow, so we will see...

oh and hey i did hit 173 on the digital speedo... i was going for that 178 salt flats record :thumbsup:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Not to beat a dead horse, we have all seen this, on the least modded, and some of the most modded cobras.

It may of been just a bad batch of pistons that could of rolled off in some of the cars, most of the motors seem to burn down these specific cyl's.

I ran my motor at 12.6-12.8:1 for close to 14k miles, and never hurt anything, and this was on 92 Pump gas with everything from highway runs to n20 runs, Im turning over about 18k now and have good compression.

I dont think its right to go down the road and blame it on the tune IMOP.

dougwg

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
That's just wrong Doug! :lol1:

it's called Tough Love

but I edited my last post to this...
-----------------------------------

-----------------------------------

but then again.... I've been there done that.... and I got crap for it too... :)

Live and learn

I just hope it don't cost him and arm and a leg to get back on the road like it did me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread