Welds vs race star

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
Can anybody tell me the wieght differences between the two? 15x10's preffered. I need to know if they are worth the price jump for the welds, I could care less about how much better they look as its only race trim

alex12gt

Established Member
The weight is probably close but the quality is where your paying im cheap so i bought the race stars

alex12gt

Established Member
Well just did a little searching and didnt really dig to much but it appears they weight about the same 15x10 are around 15lbs

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
For the price difference and my experience at the track tonight I think imma sick with the race stars and get that MGW with a 1pc D/S... Possibly my best run ever ruined by that stock shifter messing with the 2-3 shift

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Your looking at a 2-4lb difference depending on the wheel size.

The biggest difference between the two is that one is American Made and the other one is Chinese made. Should say enough. LOL

The Weld is a billet Aluminum SFI & DOT approved wheel.

Race Star is a stamped DOT wheel

If you look at the cost of Race Star and a standard Weld, a Race star direct 15x10 cost $209 (polished) and a dark star uni lug 15x10 cost $269. A Weld RT-S cost $285 (polished or black). But with that, your getting a lot more of a wheel. Plus no more stripping lugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Your looking at a 2-4lb difference depending on the wheel size.

The biggest difference between the two is that one is American Made and the other one is Chinese made. Should say enough. LOL

The Weld is a billet Aluminum SFI & DOT approved wheel.

Race Star is a stamped DOT wheel

If you look at the cost of Race Star and a standard Weld, a Race star direct 15x10 cost $209 (polished) and a dark star uni lug 15x10 cost $269. A Weld RT-S cost $285 (polished or black). But with that, your getting a lot more of a wheel. Plus no more stripping lugs.

Not trying to get into a bash session over the wheels. But I will point out, that BBR was one of the largest Race Star Distributors and promoters until they lost their rights to sell the wheels.

Many pictures of their cars with the race star wheels

153346d1334061099-racestar-fitment-questions-racestar1.jpg

johnz2.jpg

images

As far as the Lugs. With the new direct drill. There are no issues with lugs stripping out. And with the forum discounts for members. Excellent pricing on the Race Stars.

White608

Go faster
Established Member
I don't really like the look of the Welds, if they would make one that was all black or black chrome. I really would have like to had a piano black wheel but the dark stars are the best looking one I saw without spending 4k on wheels ..

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I don't really like the look of the Welds, if they would make one that was all black or black chrome. I really would have like to had a piano black wheel but the dark stars are the best looking one I saw without spending 4k on wheels ..

The darkstars look incredible, in addition to looking great, the finish on them makes them super easy to clean compared to a polished wheel. A little tint safe window cleaner, and takes about 1-2 minutes a wheel to look brand new

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Like said above, Race star wheels are made in China. Does not employ American workers for manufacturing or use American materials.
Weld Manufactured in the USA by American's .
I'll spend a few more bucks on a superior American product vs sending my money to China. And saving a fellow American his job.

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
Like said above, Race star wheels are made in China. Does not employ American workers for manufacturing or use American materials.
Weld Manufactured in the USA by American's .
I'll spend a few more bucks on a superior American product vs sending my money to China. And saving a fellow American his job.

Sadly I don't feel the American quality is a factor anymore. American quality has been lagging for almost a decade

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

03lofront

another wannabe ....
Established Member
I did it the american way.....bought my outsourced chinese wheels for super cheap. Alot cheaper than i could ever find the welds for. I know weld wheels are top notch wheels. Hell i had em on my old fox body. But jumping on the old american made bandwagon is getting lil old. Call me un american or whatever but everyone is on some kind of budget at the end of the day. Saying the racestar are not quality bc their not american made is stupid imo.....i say buy what you can pay for bc both sets of wheels look great on our cars.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I did it the american way.....bought my outsourced chinese wheels for super cheap. Alot cheaper than i could ever find the welds for. I know weld wheels are top notch wheels. Hell i had em on my old fox body. But jumping on the old american made bandwagon is getting lil old. Call me un american or whatever but everyone is on some kind of budget at the end of the day. Saying the racestar are not quality bc their not american made is stupid imo.....i say buy what you can pay for bc both sets of wheels look great on our cars.

American bandwagon getting old. Really, Tell me that when they are no more manufacturing jobs left in the USA. Tell me that when China owns more than half our debt. Wow you really don't get the big picture. American quality not up to standard. Really where?

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
American bandwagon getting old. Really, Tell me that when they are no more manufacturing jobs left in the USA. Tell me that when China owns more than half our debt. Wow you really don't get the big picture. American quality not up to standard. Really where?

Where? Everywhere you look. Look at the auto industry for starters.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member

So you think the quality of your cast wheels made in China are better than the Weld forged wheels made in the USA? :lol:
Maybe you shouldn't have bought a Ford if you feel that way.

Last edited:

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
So you think the quality of your cast wheels made in China are better than the Weld forged wheels made in the USA? :lol:
Maybe you shouldn't have bought a Ford if you feel that way.

My cast wheels from china will last just as long and make my car go just as fast. And they left me with a lot more money to spare.
As for not buying a ford? Well, funny you say that. I drive a 2011 maxima and the wife drives a new altima.

The mustang and lightning are toys..... once a gtr can ever be had for under 40 grand I'll be getting one of them too! Lol

ebrow21

Established Member

Well, funny you say that. I drive a 2011 maxima and the wife drives a new altima.

The mustang and lightning are toys..... once a gtr can ever be had for under 40 grand I'll be getting one of them too! Lol

2011 Maxima Assembly: Smyrna, Tennessee, USA

2012 Altima Assembly:
Smyrna, Tennessee, United States
Canton, Mississippi, United States
Aguascalientes, Mexico
Kanda, ***uoka, Japan

Uh huh.

Users who are viewing this thread