Weight Gained 200-300 pounds!

04svtsnke

Established Member
Let's wait and see how it performs and what the official specs are

What pisses me off is ford should've put the info out before opening the orderin banks. Excited mustang nuts will get I regardless but those that are actually after performance want specifics. I just don't get what the hold up is. Do they wanna sell mustangs or not?

Veni Vidi Vici

Established Member
From the article:

"This just in the 2015 mustang has been announced to have gained 300 pounds and is now heavier and slower than the 2014 5.0 GT. The new 2015 SVT Cobra is rumored to be testing on the nubering and is now the new competition for it's lighter enemy the 2012 ZL1.

Ford executives say: Even though the 2015 is heavier and slower than previous generations of mustangs. It will capture the hearts and minds of the youth of today with it's weird New Edgish styling, and slowness like the Camaro. We will also be coming out with a Gundam edition mustang to compete with the Transformer Camaro's.

Ford Ceo Allan Mullay says: The mustang gaining weight is the future. I envision a car that doesn't look or sound like a mustang. A flat crank, and a fat body...kind of like my wife. The mustang of the future should at least weight 4500 pounds for saftey reasons. We have our engineers taking the weight from the F-150's and hiding them in the trunks of the mustangs for better traction/safety."

:rolling::lol1::D

rrg9946

Established Member
What pisses me off is ford should've put the info out before opening the orderin banks. Excited mustang nuts will get I regardless but those that are actually after performance want specifics. I just don't get what the hold up is. Do they wanna sell mustangs or not?

Just because we are mustang nuts doesn't mean we are not after "performance". I'm after performance. I'm just going after it regardless of what Ford puts out. I love it when a challenge arises with the car industry. But hell 200-300 lbs is not much of a challenge. It's just like when I ran NMRA Factory Stock with my little white 2v car. Everyone said I couldn't get my car to run a good number or get it down to 2850 lbs race weight under the rules with me in it. Love a challenge!

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
Actually, the only reason I am even considering the '15 is because I heard it was supposed to be lighter than the current model, I wonder if that is still the case, but only if you get the EB model...

I guess I'm getting old, because I don't want to have to sacrifice the comforts of the car to get it down to weight.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Not too sure why all the poo slinging is going on with the '15 about weight. Most people here on this thread own a stang other than a fox. No try to focus a little and remember that every new generation has had some sort of weight gain along with HP increase. They also perfrom better than the outgoing generation. So here we are talking about this is a deal breaker, this is outrageous. The cars you own now were also "pigs" compared to thier respective outgoing generation, but it did not stop you from owning one. So if its a deal breaker than you probably weren't that interested to begin with. If it is heavier I'll do what I've done to all of my mustangs, reduce weight and add more power

But the truth is with a front engine rear wheel drive car you can only add so much weight. The Camaro is a great example of this. Your type of logic is what sold the ZL1. That car sucked everywhere, and is the best example of throwing suspension and horsepower at a heavy weight car.

I guess the 2020 mustang should weigh 4500 pounds and have 1000 horsepower right?

rrg9946

Established Member
But the truth is with a front engine rear wheel drive car you can only add so much weight. The Camaro is a great example of this. Your type of logic is what sold the ZL1. That car sucked everywhere, and is the best example of throwing suspension and horsepower at a heavy weight car.

I guess the 2020 mustang should weigh 4500 pounds and have 1000 horsepower right?

I guess your nit understanding my "logic". I never said I hope they added weight. I merely stated that if they did add this weight it can be offset by reducing its weight with traditional methods we all have used with mustangs. Adding power is also an option. I am happy either way. I love the platform and the revisions made to the 5.0. So lets not get carried away with assumptions of another persons "logic". As you very well know what assumptions do. A good example seems to be this assumption by Steeda.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
It would be unfortunate if the Mustang gained weight and the Camaro lost weight! Then people could no longer call the Camaro fat and ugly, just ugly.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I just do not see the 2015 Mustang gaining 200 plus pounds. Ford has stated that they met their weight reduction goals for the 2015 Mustang. Ford has stated the 2015 Mustang GT will be faster than the 2013 Boss 302. Now, if the new Mustang GT is heavier than the Boss302, it would not be faster than the Boss 302. The new Mustang is to have aluminum fenders and a large part of the IRS is aluminum . Larger brakes rotors may add some weight, but the current Mustangs had brake rotors that are not that much smaller. There is no way past estimates of weight gains apply to the newer lighter materials used in the production of new cars. Someone at Steeda just was not in the know.

Voltwings

Established Member
it is still a bigger car (even if only slightly so) with more standard features. Dropping 200 lbs is one thing but adding more standard features, we'll call it 100-150 lbs, and THEN expecting to still lose 200 lbs... well, now you're asking Ford to take 350 or so lbs off of a full street weight car with creature comforts... going to take more than just fenders to do that.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
What are the standard features that will be added to the new Mustang that are not on the current Mustang ? From what I hear, most of the new standard features are just electronic enhancements. Electronics are continually made smaller and lighter. We need a list of the weights of each standard feature to determine if there is an overall weight gain. Ford has had a policy for years that any component that adds weight has to have an engineer personally sign off for the weight increase. I just do not see many engineers willing to take on such a responsibility.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
If the car was lighter don't you think Ford would come forward and clear this all up... Their silence IMO speaks that the car has in fact gained weight.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Ford has stated that they met their weight reduction goals for the 2015 Mustang.

Did they state that they met their weight loss target, overall weight target, or any iteration in between? There could be a sea of difference in a few seemingly simple words. Example.......The car could put on 400# throughout the design, but knock 200# off through weight savings measures. They could still say that they hit their weight savings goals, even though the car is 200# heavier. The media/public is left to spin it however they want. I am sure they carefully planned out every single statement to spin in their favor. That exact same thing happened with the C7 launch. The PR machine touted the 100# weight savings by moving to the Al frame, but always seemed to leave out until the very last moment, the fact that 250# was added along the way.

One thing is fore sure, no OEM launching their flagship would even remotely hint at a significant weight gain right in the middle of their PR frenzy and risk losing momentum. They would deflect that until the very end. On the other hand, any significant weight savings would likely be blasted all over the place. At this point in the launch, it's all about the advancements with this new car. The compromises and trade-offs will come later.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
One thing is fore sure, no OEM launching their flagship would even remotely hint at a significant weight gain right in the middle of their PR frenzy and risk losing momentum. They would deflect that until the very end. On the other hand, any significant weight savings would likely be blasted all over the place. At this point in the launch, it's all about the advancements with this new car. The compromises and trade-offs will come later.

Damn you, why do you have to make so much business sense?

bexamous

Established Member
Here is Chief Mustang Engineer, Dave Pericak last year saying losing 200 pounds is within reach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF924X3c4Tw#t=271

"we are definitely going on a crusade to do that." (referring to losing weight)

If you then show up a year later and new car is gaining a few hundred, that is a huge fail. They see the biggest complaint / jab at the Camaro is its weight/size, well maybe 2nd to visibility/blindspots. So what does Ford do? Go gain more weight? Camaro shares platform with ATS, correct? Its 3300 pounds, add some weight for engine/beefier drivetrain/brakes its still going to be be lighter.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Here is Chief Mustang Engineer, Dave Pericak last year saying losing 200 pounds is within reach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF924X3c4Tw#t=271

"we are definitely going on a crusade to do that." (referring to losing weight)

If you then show up a year later and new car is gaining a few hundred, that is a huge fail. They see the biggest complaint / jab at the Camaro is its weight/size, well maybe 2nd to visibility/blindspots. So what does Ford do? Go gain more weight? Camaro shares platform with ATS, correct? Its 3300 pounds, add some weight for engine/beefier drivetrain/brakes its still going to be be lighter.

Sorry guys but if the Camaro weigh's 3400-3600 pounds it's game over for the 3800 pound GT Mustang.

They said it would be lighter.

They said it would be faster.

It wasn't.

Just kidding guys, but seriously though.

Brute

Established Member
^ For the first time since I have been alive, they ditched the traditional K-Member and A-Arm design...and went with a full front subframe.....with radius style rods / dual ball joints. No A-Arms on this car.....they're literally two rods the diameter of your thumb... That alone is likely good for 25-30lbs, just from that change.

Kelly, 25 - 30 pounds MORE or LESS? Thanks. Tom

Users who are viewing this thread