Weighed my pig at the track yesterday

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
The only problems with the 79-93 cars is that you're limited in tire sizes front and rear. My 2004 blue race car is in the 2550 lb range and that is with all stock body panels, cobra R wheels, 10 gallons of gas and a pushrod motor. Next year I hope to have it below 2500 with the winter changes that are coming..... :coolman:

2700lbs with driver, minimum 275 tires, fully modified IRS suspension and 400-425 rwhp. :rockon:

Here piggy piggy piggy........ :burnout:

I wanna see some pics of your blue racer? Can you post some interior and exterior pics for me? 2550lb's is awesome!! I'd like to replicate that weight in my 95 saleen.

Dave

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dtheo said:
2550lb's is awesome!! I'd like to replicate that weight in my 05 saleen.

Dave

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that's funny stuff right there, I don't care who you are!! :poke:

Here's the tools you're going to need:

Sawzall
torch
plasma cutter
assorted wrenches and sockets

Take the license plates off too because your car won't be street legal any more!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that's funny stuff right there, I don't care who you are!! :poke:

Here's the tools you're going to need:

Sawzall
torch
plasma cutter
assorted wrenches and sockets

Take the license plates off too because your car won't be street legal any more!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

My bad, I meant to type 95 saleen, not 05 saleen. First, I could not afford an 05 saleen and nor would I want one.

Sorry about that, its been a long work day here in Kansas City.

Dave

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
weight

Dave, you will never get a street car to anything under 3000#. now, if you have the time, money and expertice, you can build a body in white so something under 2800#. My r is pretty well stripped, and it weighed at 3396. you just cant take a streeter and convert it easily. so, if you cant lose the weight, you need more power and power cost money. Scott

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dtheo said:
My bad, I meant to type 95 saleen, not 05 saleen. First, I could not afford an 05 saleen and nor would I want one.

Sorry about that, its been a long work day here in Kansas City.

Dave

Well, that is only slightly better. :beer: 2,550# is a TALL order. :read:

TTA89

Established Member
cobraCMDR said:
hmmm I weighted my vert at the track. 1/2 tank of gas, me no jack tire or carpet with some steel wheels on the rear and e/t streets and I only weighted 3970....... Something is wrong with your coupe or you need a driver mod! No more mcie d's

I weighed 184 on the scales.

Put a rollbar, harnesses, bracing etc in you're car and then come back and tell me what you're car weighs with a full tank of fuel.

The car weighed ~3680 at the dragstrip last year with 3-4 gallons of gas, no rollbar etc. I was told 40 feet of tubing went into the rollbar, the saftey stuff is heavy.

Regardless, the only Mustangs I have ever had to point by all had blowers on them. Weight is over rated :p I had a guy with a 2500lb M3 ride along with me and he couldn't beleive how fast we got around the track, with him in the car thats 4000+.

Lets not forget this isn't a dedicated track car, it drives me to work sometimes with the A/C and cruise control on. :coolman: It may not make an ideal racecar but I bet its way more fun to drive than some 300hp DOG that weighs 3400lbs. :poke:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you can keep them cool... the power is pretty cheap and easy in a Termy.

They do like to get hot fast though.
Money spent on cooling mods is a must here in Texas... It's that or wait for the winter/spring/ fall events... :-D

OOPS!!!.........oh that's right.... not all you guys can run all year long. :rollseyes :poke: ..........J/K :thumbsup:

My down time is June July and August.... or when I'm out of money which is MOST OF THE TIME!!!...LOL :p

93SVTCobra

Established Member
You can find pictures of the build up HERE

To get the car down that low it requires looking at EVERY single part that goes on the vehicle and how you can take the weight out of it safely. We will be pulling more weight out this winter so next year it should be interesting to see where it comes out.

From the smack talk that's going on it sounds like I'm going to have to take a ride out east next year to teach you blue bloods a lesson or two about the advantages of weight :poke: If it makes you feel any better you'll be passed by a car that looks like an 03-04 Cobra and has IRS.

Let me know what track events you are planning on going to next year and I'll try to make one.

P.S. Bruce - If you are referring to the time at gingerman the car only had 320ish hp at that time as it was in AI trim with the restrictor. :)

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
You can find pictures of the build up HERE

To get the car down that low it requires looking at EVERY single part that goes on the vehicle and how you can take the weight out of it safely. We will be pulling more weight out this winter so next year it should be interesting to see where it comes out.

From the smack talk that's going on it sounds like I'm going to have to take a ride out east next year to teach you blue bloods a lesson or two about the advantages of weight :poke: If it makes you feel any better you'll be passed by a car that looks like an 03-04 Cobra and has IRS.

Let me know what track events you are planning on going to next year and I'll try to make one.

P.S. Bruce - If you are referring to the time at gingerman the car only had 320ish hp at that time as it was in AI trim with the restrictor. :)

Take it easy on them Mark, just show them whos boss with the 93R :thumbsup:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Why toy with them when I can just bring out the big hammer and put an end to the discussion.

front%20shot-%20small.JPG

Sooner or later you'll realize that weight is the biggest enemy of a road race car.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm afraid I'll have to agree that the whole weight issue is too important to be ignored or swept under the carpet. It is in fact our Achillies heel, more so I think then "the old Fairmount chassis thing". Dual use vehicles that are not in competition obviously don't need to be totally gutted out, but any thing that can be done to help with the whole "body in motion/body at rest" thing can only help.

Here is an item that caught my attention over on modfords... only a 13 pound savings but it seems a worthy investment to me, and it is weight removed that is WAY OUT FRONT!

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/pic-how-to-lose-some-weight-45363.html

21323d1140796504-pic-how-to-lose-some-weight-bumper-large-web-view.jpg

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
My biggest concern with that mod on a street driven car is that you better be prepared for some major damage in a light 5 mph hit.

TTA89

Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Why toy with them when I can just bring out the big hammer and put an end to the discussion.

front%20shot-%20small.JPG

Sooner or later you'll realize that weight is the biggest enemy of a road race car.

LOL you need to bring out a dedicated racecar to beat my lowly street car? :shrug: :rockon:

Body shop needs to get there eyes checked... They forgot to paint the hood! :poke: :p

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
My biggest concern with that mod on a street driven car is that you better be prepared for some major damage in a light 5 mph hit.

True..

But after already wadding it up into the back of a Buick once(with the normal re-bar)... at a good deal more than 5 MPH... I must say these car are tough!!

Zero sub frame damage, zero inner fender damage, even the rad support was un-tweaked! The normal crumple stuff crumpled(or broke) and the the chassis came out nice and straight! In a hit hard enough to deploy both air bags! I didn't even lose any fluids.

But that is a good point, because there would be more damage if it ever happened again with the light re-bar in place.
Truth of the matter is though this isn't a commuter car for me, It's my toy, that's street legal and comfy and semi-fast. It has far exceeded my expectations so far. It is WAY better at doing what I bought it for, than I could ever have expected.

:thumbsup:

Your mileage may vary...

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Wow, saw the buildup pics of that blue cobra, that thing is amazing. Wish I had the time and money for that. Nicely done.

Dave

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:

Be afraid. :rockon: Be VERY afraid of this car. :bowdown: Trust me. I can handily spank a Porsche Carrera GT and a C6-Z06 with marginal drivers but this car OWNZ me!!

TTA89 said:
LOL you need to bring out a dedicated racecar to beat my lowly street car? :shrug: :rockon:

Body shop needs to get there eyes checked... They forgot to paint the hood! :poke: :p

Everyone needs priorities and we all must have them!
ABCC%20Grid.jpg

;-) :lol: :p

93SVTCobra

Established Member
TTA89 said:

If you re-read your original comments you clearly stated that the ONLY MUSTANGS you have ever pointed by had superchargers. So what difference does it make if I bring a full race car out? Regardless of what type of Mustang it is you shouldn't be concerned unless it has a supercharger (which it will never have!) :p

Users who are viewing this thread