Weak link in engine??

azimm1984

Established Member
I read alot of stories about how strong the 03/04 motors are but what is the weak link in wanting to make say 1000hp ??

aarons04cobra

Established Member
There isn't really a specific weak link to be honest. There are plenty of examples of guys on here making 1xxx + rwhp on stock internals

azimm1984

Established Member
so in a rebuild maybe stock crank rods with better rod bolts and some better pistons and call it good?

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Upgraded wrist pins are a good idea. No need to get big ones though. And a piston with a big land to the first ring. I'm running .150 tool steel wrist pins and .300" down first ring and steel rings.

azimm1984

Established Member
oiljunkie what pistons are you running?

thanks for the tips guys got an Aluminum block so gonna do a build later this year

Quick Strike

Established Member
oiljunkie what pistons are you running?

thanks for the tips guys got an Aluminum block so gonna do a build later this year

Not sure what pistons that individual runs, but mine are CPs with a 9cc dish made for a sc/turbo application. They bump the compression up a little too f you are considering longer duration camshafts.

Last edited:

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
I run Wiseco pistons. 13cc dish.

Like quick strike said, bump compression, don't run less then 9.0:1.

CP, Ross, Diamond, Wiseco. all make great slugs.

I ordered mine from Modular Head Shop. Great guys to deal with. I originally had a set of Diamond -11cc dish pistons. They didn't end of working on my engine as i ended up having to hone out #7 as it had gotten hot. When i ordered new slugs the diamonds were on a 4week back order. I was guided to the Wiseco's new 4v pistons which are a thing of beauty. Thick skirts and deep ring depth. I didn't like their option for dish depth though. 13 was really to big of a dish, and 6 was to small.

oldmodman

Established Member
Crank snout if running huge blower and no front crank support pulley assembly. The end of the crank can break off, destroying the entire engine.

But it's fixable for a fairly low cost.

While your engine is apart have your crank snout drilled and tapped deeper for an ARP stud. It will provide a clamping force that starts behind the undercut area near the oil pump. It transfers the load deeper into the cranks where there is more strength.

See here. http://www.modularfords.com/threads/180036-Crank-Tech

Users who are viewing this thread