We GOT to do something about the heat...

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
By the way
WRX people put windshield spray thing pointed to their intercooler
because WRX doesnt come with intercooler spray

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
Last months issues of MM&FF had an article about snow performance, and they were using a water/methanol mix to cool the intake charge on there cars. Kinda like spray, and they said they picked up 80rwhp!!!

Juiced-03

Established Member
Does the supercharger get hot because of internal reasons (the rotor pack) or is due to engine heat? If it was due to engine heat spreading to the Eaton, how about spray painting or coating the blower with some sort of heat resistant blocker?

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
Air-to-air intercooler sprayers are efficient at increasing the rate of heat transfer via improved convection if the water is properly atomized across the surface of the interccoler, but I don't believe a sprayer will be able to impart similar results on an air-to-water cooler. Alternatively, improvements to the ducting can also help but this is probably beyond the scope of your basic modding.

JaketheSnake, it's your basic pressure/volume/temperature relationship. Increasing pressure while maintaining the same volume causes a decrease in temperature. Of course your system must be capable of handling the additional pressure.

Juiced-03, both sources act in concert to cause increased intake temperatures..

Last edited:

Swervedriver

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeSkinner JaketheSnake, it's your basic pressure/volume/temperature relationship. Increasing pressure while maintaining the same volume causes a decrease in temperature. Of course your system must be capable of handling the additional pressure.

Juiced-03, both sources act in concert to cause increased intake temperatures.. [/B]

Don't you mean Increase ?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All this talk about blower heat raises a related question that I have thought about often. Cost of modifications aside, I wonder how many would trade their blown motors for a nice 351 like the 2000 'R' has. I know which one I'd choose (if I was buying another Cobra). Might not get quite the power of a blown and modded '03/'04 but performance would be more consistent. Maybe even fewer issues. Comments?

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
Raises Hand!

Bob, do mean the 351 like the 95R? Or the 5.4 like the 00R?

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I wonder if we could rig a spray that at the touch of a button, it would spray maybe the intercooler or radiator with water. Might not add much power, but maybe it could help cool the engine down.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
That has been discussed before, but what you are talking about is not an intercooler. It is a heat exchanger. Our intercooler is directly under our supercharger so we cannot spray our intercooler.

But, if you did spray our heat exchanger, I am not sure if it would be worth it or not. We use an air-water intercooling system, so you would think that it would take a long time for the sprayer to cool down enough fluid to make a difference.

There was a guy on this forum that sprayed nitrous onto the heatexchanger, and he gained a lot of power. But we think that the nitrous was getting sucked into the engine, hence the reason he made a lot of power.

Last edited:

memphisstang

Established Member
What about a larger intercooler reservoir like the one the Saleen 281-E uses. It's twice as wide as the Cobra's so wouldn't that mean more coolant available to disperse the heat? It also looks a lot better than the clear/white ones on the Cobras. Does anyone out there know the capacity of the stock intercooler reservoir versus the one on the Saleen?

Mustang_Racer

Established Member
Originally posted by memphisstang
What about a larger intercooler reservoir like the one the Saleen 281-E uses. It's twice as wide as the Cobra's so wouldn't that mean more coolant available to disperse the heat? It also looks a lot better than the clear/white ones on the Cobras. Does anyone out there know the capacity of the stock intercooler reservoir versus the one on the Saleen?

I was looking at ours and it is small. someone needs to come up with a better one/bigger/direct replacement.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by Mustang_Racer
Has anyone tried an engine oil cooler? I don't know if it will help but im sure it couldnt hurt.

I believe that we already have the water- engine oil cooler on the 03's...My 1992 5.0 had one on it (Ex. CHP Interceptor)...The one on the Cobra looks very similar.

-pete:coolman:

memphisstang

Established Member
I wonder why the Saleen wouldn't bolt right on? Does anyone have a friend with a supercharged saleen so we could try this theory? I could call Saleen and ask them, but I bet they wouldn't know since they don't do Cobra engines. It looks like, from pictures, that the Saleen reservoir bolts up in the same place as the Cobra's.

memphisstang

Established Member
Called Saleen parts dept. and the guy told me it probably wouldn't bolt directly on buy he was sure it could be made to fit? He did not know what the capacity was versus stock. Does anybody out there know? The reservoir only costs $50.00, so it would be a great cheap mod if it holds significantly more coolant!

Erick

Established Member
Use the Vortech resevoir and move the battery to the rear for better weight distribution.

Users who are viewing this thread