We GOT to do something about the heat...

CountySoldier

500 RWHP SVT COBRA
Established Member
Someone has got to come up with an idea to keep these suckers cool!! Especially with a pulley mod, WOW that Eaton gets hot quick!
Within minutes of normal driving my Eaton is too hot to touch! I even have the Gords HE....which by the way is cool to the touch even when the Eaton is burning hot! I know you can get a bugger radiator and a stat but thats not gonna help the Eaton. There is such a HUGE difference when they get heat soaked!! Any ideas? How about you Doug? (billetflow)

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I'd think that with everyone putting more effective heat exchangers on these cars, someone would look more to the unit under the blower.

Maybe they would design a coil unit that would also remove heat from the compressor case at the same time it removes heat from the air charge.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
With a 2.80" pulley you're spinning it faster than its designed speed. It's gonna get hot and there's nothing you can do about it (as opposed to the heat exchanger). That'sone reason people port them or get twin screw blowers.

ModsAway

Established Member
I have not touched my pulley and after a few minutes of driving around my blower is too hot to touch as well so its not just your 2.8 pulley that is to blame. There is a reason the blower was nicknamed the HEATON.... HEAT =P

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I'll let you folks in on a little secret, the KB gets hot as hell also. Just like the Eaton. It also sends its heat straight through the fire wall. I'm still running stock manifolds, so I know its not coming from those. However, it does seem to cool slightly faster at the track than the Eaton did. Different casing material maybe....?

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
get a hood scoop like subarus
not sayin rice out cobra
but it could cool down the SC

or some kind vents like 5.9 jeep grand cherokee

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I would think the reverse stock scoops probably help draw the heat out better. Had to be what Ford was thinking....

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I'll let you folks in on a little secret, the KB gets hot as hell also.
Exactly. The KB gets extremely hot, very quickly. Just like the eaton.

countysoldier - I think your missing the point. It doesn't matter how good of a Heat exchanger you have, its not going to make the eaton cooler. It cools down the air coming out of the eaton before it goes into the combustion chamber. It does not cool the eaton blower itself. So I am sure your gordsford HE is doing its job, even though the eaton is still hot. Just because the eaton is too hot to touch, doesn't mean something is wrong. Just about everything related to an engine gets too hot to touch. . . see what I mean?

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Maybe he feels a noticable power difference when the car becomes heat soaked. :shrug:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Cars with the stock pulley dont have this trouble.

I'm able to hot lap through an entire tank of gas running speeds of up to 140 on the straightaways with no boiling over. I drive the wheels off this thing and it gives me no trouble whatsoever.

I'd be going faster if it weren't for all the squids in my way! This car behind you got there somehow - point me past!

CountySoldier

500 RWHP SVT COBRA
Established Member
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
Exactly. The KB gets extremely hot, very quickly. Just like the eaton.

countysoldier - I think your missing the point. It doesn't matter how good of a Heat exchanger you have, its not going to make the eaton cooler. It cools down the air coming out of the eaton before it goes into the combustion chamber. It does not cool the eaton blower itself. So I am sure your gordsford HE is doing its job, even though the eaton is still hot. Just because the eaton is too hot to touch, doesn't mean something is wrong. Just about everything related to an engine gets too hot to touch. . . see what I mean?
No that was not my point. I know what the HE does, and I am not saying that the intercooler is burning hot. I am saying that the Eaton case gets SUPER hot and I wish someone could come up with a mod to cool it. I notice a HUGE difference when my car gets hot. I lost like 30 hp on the dyno after the 2nd run due to heat soak.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I could boil an egg on mine on a hot summer day or night. Oh, and CountySoldier, you stole my plate :D

cobra_015.jpg

Swervedriver

Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
There's only one way around it... t-u-r-b-o.

You have to know the exhaust housing of turbos get a LOT hotter than an Eaton or KB.

stangfreak

Established Member
i totally agree with you on this. heat soak is a bitch. i have a 2.80 pulley on my car and ifi drive it for half hour, then floor it, car doesnt seem to pack a nice punch. thats why when i do the apten tomorrow i will put on a bigger pulley. notice one guy said with the stock pulley you can lap the car over and over. you still will loose hp with the stock pulley after awhile but not as fast as a 2.8 pulley. depends what you are trying to accomplish. for the street i would use a 2.93 or a 3.0 pulley, then have interchangable pullies for the track and run a 2.80 or a 2.75 pulley

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
Solutions are as follows from least expensive to most expensive:

1) wait for winter

2) increase the amount of distilled water relative to antifreeze in your cooling system

3) get a higher pressure radiator cap

4) vent the rear of your hood for improved airflow

5) remove your A/C system for improved flow to your engine and radiator once the condenser is out of the picture

6) get a larger capacity aluminum radiator

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
there is also the nitrous solution. add a 30-50 dry shot before the mass air, and it wll cool everything down nicely. and add a few ponies with the extra oxygen while its at it, and no need to worry about fuel if you spray before the mass air, it will richen it on its own.:beer:

Juiced-03

Established Member
LOL SnakeSkinner, I think I am going to grill up some burgers on my Eaton next time I go racing :D

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
we can have a cookout!! try headers and n20, radiator, I didnt realize that a higher pressure cap would help any?

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
:idea: STi has intercooler spray....
how bout supercharger spray???:idea:

Users who are viewing this thread