WCGT Cobra Update

Cheyne

Established Member
Well I'm just about done with the build of my 2004 Cobra for SCCA World Challenge GT and our first race with the car will this coming weekend at the Cleveland GP. Actually all three registered Mustang's; mine, Randy Hale (302ci push rod), and Carol Hollfelder's will be at the race.

All that is left to do is some tuning on the dyno with our SCT Pro Racer package and minor fab work. Last Friday we made noise for the first time in about three months. I was a little worried that it wouldn't run after I had removed 50lbs of wiring fromt he stock harness and was pretty sure I had removed something that would matter. Instead the only problem we ran into, but SCT fixed, was the PATS code.

Here is a link to some of the latest pictures.

http://www.daggettracing.com/graphics/photos/2005/Preseason2/index.html

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

Cheyne

Established Member
Thanks guys. One of you can sit in the back seat area. There is plenty of roll cage to hang on to, but it might get a little warm with the new exhaust running right under your rear end.

Cheyne

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
HOLY CRAP!!!! Did that ever turn out NICE!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Super sanitary set up... very professional looking job!!!

Had a chance to do a shake down test??? Curious how your temps have been??? I remember talking with you about some of your solutions via Email...

Jimmy

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
No vacuum pump? I know its a drag race thing but its gotta help a road racer too no? It is still wet sump?

Cheyne

Established Member
Thanks guys.

The vacuum pumps were pulled when we pulled the EGR and other misc stuff. I want the motor to be as stripped down to a basic form as much as possible. The car will most likely live around 6000 rpm to 7100 rpm with a rev limit set by the series of 7300 rpm. Same goes for the wiring. My wife spent about 75 hours pulling wiring out of the harness one by one with the for diagrams. We have a bin that weights close to 50lbs of wires and connectors that have been removed from the car.

Cheyne

Cheyne

Established Member
We just got done dynoing the car today at Logan Motorsports. All we have done to the engine are put a 3.10 BilletFlow pully with the idler kit, K&N FIPK, SCT MAF, Mac LT Headers with straight pipes, return style fuel system and SCT Pro Racer package for tuning. The car is at 434hp at 6500rpm and a max of 440ft/lbs at 3500rpm. The series would like cars to be between 450 and 500hp at the flywheel. My numbers are at the rear wheels on a Dynapack dyno. Also the car is now at 3100lbs without the driver and 3350lbs with me. We would like to get to 3000lbs with me.

Cheyne

Cheyne

Established Member
The heat soak is pretty bad. We tried to simulate the heat today on the dyno and on the last pull when we made 434hp we only got about 9psi of boost with a 3.10" pully. I'm using the pfab tank, a custom made Fluidyne SC heat exhanger and many other mods for the engine cooling. I will post a update over the weekend since our first time on the track with the current car will be our practice at Cleveland on Friday.

Cheyne

RJCobra

Established Member
Cheyne said:
The heat soak is pretty bad. We tried to simulate the heat today on the dyno and on the last pull when we made 434hp we only got about 9psi of boost with a 3.10" pully. I'm using the pfab tank, a custom made Fluidyne SC heat exhanger and many other mods for the engine cooling. I will post a update over the weekend since our first time on the track with the current car will be our practice at Cleveland on Friday.

Cheyne

I wonder if a ported blower would help?

Cheyne

Established Member
We are going to have the blower ported (shhh don't tell anyone) between Cleveland and Denver. The extra HP would be nice since most of the other teams seam to be cheating up the HP this year. Before the season started the Corvette's, Caddies and the Viper CC got smaller inlet restrictors which should have slowed them down compared to last year. Instead they have set track records at several events. Cleveland should be a good test since it is lots of long straights and high speed corners.

Cheyne

Cheyne

Established Member
Yep both a Diff and Trans Coolers. We also have a Torsen T2R diff.

The final weight for this race is 3360lbs, which is 360lbs over. I need to drop about 60lbs and Paul Brown and I have talked about other things we can remove from the car. Like a aluminum block.

Cheyne

Users who are viewing this thread