Water Pump Question!

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Hey guys,

I think I've narrowed down this engine noise to my water pump. Out of curiosity, are there any bearings inside the water pump that could possibly go bad? I'm going to replace the unit anyway but it would make me feel better to know there are wear and tear parts in the pump.

cobracide

Established Member
The only way I know of to make a bearingless water pump would be through electromagetics. I assure you that is not how the cobras pump is, since it is belt driven.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
I assumed it was shaft driven and didn't have a need for bearings.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Took the belt and pulley off and spun it by hand. Can't feel anything wrong in there.

This is starting to get annoying. I've replaced everything on that drive with the exception of the water pump a p/s pump (yes, new ac compressor).

This noise is driving me nuts!

I've been doing some reading that the 05+ Navigator pums are considered an upgrade. True or false?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting...I really can't say that I hear anything out of the ordinary in that vid. These motors are very noisy.

vr4

Established Member
Yes water pumps have ball bearings supporting the shaft from the pulley to the impeller.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Yes water pumps have ball bearings supporting the shaft from the pulley to the impeller.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to call Tousley tomorrow for a new one.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm selling the Cobra and getting a GT500. **** it.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Strike

Established Member
Stewart makes a nice replacement pump with more volume and better impellers. Summit has them.

hotcobra03

Established Member
wow that is bad...if it isnt a pulley locked up or rubbing i would pull belt and run engine ,,it could be on other side of cover

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
wow that is bad...if it isnt a pulley locked up or rubbing i would pull belt and run engine ,,it could be on other side of cover

I lost count of how many times I've had the lower pulley off the car :fm:

When I did run it without the belt the sound was gone. I've purchased NEW OEM pulleys, tensioners, A/C Compressor, Belts, and have rebuilt the snout of my eaton. Did I mention my car only has 38,400 miles?!

I know the new parts give me more peace of mind and I could always sell my old parts to offset what I've spent since they are still in great shape. I would have rather spent this money on mods :rollseyes

SlowSVT

Established Member
Took the belt and pulley off and spun it by hand. Can't feel anything wrong in there.

This is starting to get annoying. I've replaced everything on that drive with the exception of the water pump a p/s pump (yes, new ac compressor).

This noise is driving me nuts!

I've been doing some reading that the 05+ Navigator pums are considered an upgrade. True or false?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't be fooled by how easy to spin and tight a bearings feels when there is no load on it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
so vid is with caged lower off,just inner belt..

have you tried to make a change in noise?

spray wd40

turn on ac

turn wheels to full turn,pumping brakes or holding brakes firm

try to take away tension on belt,,

i cant recall if cover has a cutout for pulley ,like if pulley was wrong size and only rubs when belt is on,or belt wrong causing pulley to sit in wrong spot

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
so vid is with caged lower off,just inner belt..

have you tried to make a change in noise?

spray wd40

turn on ac

turn wheels to full turn,pumping brakes or holding brakes firm

try to take away tension on belt,,

i cant recall if cover has a cutout for pulley ,like if pulley was wrong size and only rubs when belt is on,or belt wrong causing pulley to sit in wrong spot

This vid has the lower caged on without the belt on.

I have tried all of the above. There is no cut out and if you reverse the pulley on the tensioner on the timing cover it will rub on the cover and gouge the cover.

I followed the map on CobraBob's FAQ each time I installed the belt to be on the safe side. Needless to say, I'm a pro at it now lol!

Users who are viewing this thread