Water Methanol with KB??? Yes or No

03SonicCobra

Got NX?
Established Member
Hi guys, I just bought and install my new KB 2.8H, should I run my water methanol kit? Is that going to hurt my supercharger in the long run since methanol is corrosive? I think my Eaton was tired a little bit, maybe it was because of the water methanol. Thanks:rolling:

03kbredfire

Established Member
03SonicCobra said:
Hi guys, I just bought and install my new KB 2.8H, should I run my water methanol kit? Is that going to hurt my supercharger in the long run since methanol is corrosive? I think my Eaton was tired a little bit, maybe it was because of the water methanol. Thanks:rolling:

There is too much to go into on the methanol inj. Short answer is No. It appears to be too hard to tune properly and has little overall effect on PDB's.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
03kbredfire said:
There is too much to go into on the methanol inj. Short answer is No. It appears to be too hard to tune properly and has little overall effect on PDB's.

Mount & spray it after the blower (lower intake).

Spade

Established Member
There seems to be lot of mixed feeling about meth injection, but from what I saw in person, I would get it. Who knows thou. On the other hand if your going to spend $300 on the meth injection you should just look into getting a 50 shot if it works for your wallet. JMO.

Spade

Last edited:

03SonicCobra

Got NX?
Established Member
It's just because I have a NX wet kit an a Turbonetic W/M injection. I was just wondering if I shoul use my methanol kit with the KB. THANKS

fr03cobra

Established Member
I heard it's bad for the rotors inside the eaton s/c. I'm sure it would be the same for the KB.

FaYgOkRiS

SVT BOSS 570
Established Member
Its not bad for the rotors, meth mixed 50/50 with water is not corrosive at all. Plumb it inot the lower intake and you will see gains, but on a PD blower spraying before the TB will negate the most of the gaions you would normally see, on say a turbo ro a procharger setup. Meth is meant to be sprayed into the boost to cool it down.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
i did it not for the gains but for the octane boost so 91 can be 95-97 and you can run more timing safer which means more power. helps with detonation

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
FaYgOkRiS said:
Its not bad for the rotors, meth mixed 50/50 with water is not corrosive at all. Plumb it inot the lower intake and you will see gains, but on a PD blower spraying before the TB will negate the most of the gaions you would normally see, on say a turbo ro a procharger setup. Meth is meant to be sprayed into the boost to cool it down.

It IS bad for the rotors, it has nothing to do with corrosion! It has to do with injecting something cold into an area with heat sensitive parts. The rapid cooling of those Teflon coated rotors cause flaking. Not that I care, I'll still run nitrous pre eaton, way more effective for a small shot that running direct port on these cars...

Spraying before the eaton vs spraying before a turbo/centri blower is the exact same thing... Ideally you want the charge of water/meth to evaporate during combustion to remove excess heat, but you also need to work that into your tune which means a timing advance etc... Spraying before the eaton will still do a great deal as when you're under boost and creating high temps under compression it'll remove some of that excess heat... I'd just stick with nitrous though, a small dry shot right at the plenum has always proved awesome aside from the ware and tear.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
03 cobra rotors aren't teflon coated. Go look at lightning rotors, those are teflon coated. I've seen ones with low miles chipping. Methanol does not work well on positive displacement blowers. Nitrous does work well, but even that would work better after the blower closer to the combustion process. I don't believe anyone has been able to spray anything after the blower on a cobra yet.

FaYgOkRiS

SVT BOSS 570
Established Member
Actually found a place that plumbs it into the lower intake and when I switch over to my ported lower intake, I will be doing the same. And as far as it being bad for heat sensitive parts, maybe, but 25k miles and no issues, I'll keep it.

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
94-98 Trans Am said:
03 cobra rotors aren't teflon coated. Go look at lightning rotors, those are teflon coated. I've seen ones with low miles chipping. Methanol does not work well on positive displacement blowers. Nitrous does work well, but even that would work better after the blower closer to the combustion process. I don't believe anyone has been able to spray anything after the blower on a cobra yet.

I never knew that, I just always assumed... In a small shot I think you'd see higher gains going pre blower, at least those are the results I've seen.

Tman

Established Member
I will let you know how well it works in the next upcoming weeks. With a small jet the car did make over 2 pounds of boost and felt very strong up top.
As of now its set to kick in around 2800rpms but will probably go to 3500 with bigger jet and more tuning. If you do get it make sure you get the low meth warning light so you dont encounter any surprises!:beer:
btw-its set pre-blower.

GodStang

Established Member
There has been a good number of people that have run meth and tuned for it. The average gains are around 3rwhp and max I have seen is almost 10rwhp. Not worth the money or the hassle on a PD blower. There are tons of articles on here about why not to go with meth. It is just 99% worthless.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
GodStang said:
There has been a good number of people that have run meth and tuned for it. The average gains are around 3rwhp and max I have seen is almost 10rwhp. Not worth the money or the hassle on a PD blower. There are tons of articles on here about why not to go with meth. It is just 99% worthless.

+1, spoke with my tuner about it and he said that I would be disappointed and how it was not worth it.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
its not worth it for power but when we all are walking a fine line with ported eatons, kb/whipples or n2o on stock motors that can go at any time the water/meth can prevent detonation and add octane which both are a big part in people blowing motors.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
03SonicCobra said:

so your saying the 2.8 isnt enough for ya :), i would think 50 shot would be better for it and more productive, jmo, no experience to back it up though, I am pleased with the little 2.6 :)
good luck
Rob

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
SNIPERDOG said:
so your saying the 2.8 isnt enough for ya :), i would think 50 shot would be better for it and more productive, jmo, no experience to back it up though, I am pleased with the little 2.6 :)
good luck
Rob
Hi Rob,
the 2.6L can make gobs of HP and is 50 state legal, while the 2.8 is for built motors, ported heads (heavy breather) no CARB sticker for a 2.8L.
How much HP do people need with these old Ford fairmont chassis? :shrug:
Damn, my car makes my hair stand straight-up as it is. :pepper:
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread