Warped heads!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

03 svt

Established Member
Pulled the engine out and apart after leak down showed cylinder #2 had no compression.
Took the heads to the machine shop who claim. One is .009 and ..010 warped.
He told me that the entire head is warped not just the mating surface and that my cam journals ect may be out of whack.
He said .010 it's the serviceable limit. I can't find any info to back that up.
Any one run into this situation before?
I hope I don't have to buy new heads.

MG0h3

Established Member
Damn. Interested to see what others with experience have to say.

Are you on E85 at 21psi? Did you experience some sort of head gasket failure along with the compression loss or is the problem elsehwere?

03 svt

Established Member
Torco tune is 21psi.
It was a combination of things. The oil cooler went bad car over heated terribly. Still held together though. Then upon disassembly of everything I found a vacuum line by the blower dry rotted through. I'm guessing that polished it off.
Blew coolant out of the over flow going down the track. All over the blower belt. Slipped like hell.
Still ran 11.07 @131

MG0h3

Established Member
Well first thing Id do is get a second shop to examine the heads.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
They can still be repaired. I had a set of heads off a car that overheated and warped the heads so bad they cracked between two cylinders. If you put a cam in it would rock back and forth the journals were so far off.

The shop used a gas torch and heating process in the correct spots to release the tension. The head returned to almost perfect. They welded the crack and smoothed it out and you can't even tell where it was now. The repair was amazing.
Surfaced the head. Didn't even have to line bore the cam journals as I recall but don't quote me on that.

My point is you just have to find the right shop. They should be repairable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread