!!WARNING!!! Guys with garage lifts!

Shlby

Established Member
I had my vert on my 4 post lift doing a brake job and some detailing. When I finished I started lifting the car up to allow me to disengage the safty stops. THE LIFT KEPT GOING UP! Now the ceiling in the garage is less than 10' tall, so I only had about 4" between the car roof and the door opener. Needless to say me and my friend Ricky ran to unplug it out of the 220V Welder outlet!
Lucky for me it was a convertible because the car DID make contact with the opener, but since it was a soft top it gave alittle. What if it would have been his 93' Cobra R with 196 miles? WHAT IF THE LIFT WAS HARD WIRED IN TO THE GARAGE breaker box, IT WOULD HAVE KEPT GOING UP? I couldn't have unpluged it! The lift was designed to put wheels on it to roll it in and out of the garage so I put a 220V plug on it to plug it in my welder outlet. Thank GOD!
The problem was the switch that turned the pump on! When the lift was painted the switch was taped. BUT do to a poor tape job it had some paint on the button, which caused it to stick. I have used this lift for over a year with no problems!
THE FIX! I will be installing a new heavy duty switch with a togggle switch back up! And I'm going to install a 220v disconnect box right under the pump motor!
If you own a lift, DO IT NOW!!!!
I'm still SHAKKING!!!

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Wow, scary indeed. A couple buddies of mine have a 4 post lift. I'll make sure they read your thread and get a emergency stop button installed asap. Thanks for the heads up.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Wow, that must have been ONE scary experience. I'd get that disconnect box mounted and connected ASAP! You were lucky.

TRBO VNM

postban said:
What brand/manufacture lift is it?

what he said.

I have a Super Lift(http://www.superlifts.com/) and actually had this same thing happen. Luckily mine is 110v and I had it connected with an extension cord so it was very quick to disconnect. But it stayed stuck. It was a faulty switch. Called the company and they sent me a new motor out the next day. So far so good with this one, but I will look into adding a toggle switch.

thanks for the info and glad it all worked out.

Shlby

Established Member
I'll check on the brand, but ANY and ALL LIFTS with a switch and a lower garage ceiling could be at risk!!
BY the way I ordered a CDC Styling bar this morning.
Cant wait to install it!!

97WhitePony

Established Member
all our lifts in the shop had emergency stop bars at the top. If the roof hit the bar (which was about 3 inches before the ceiling) it would shut the lift down (course these were Manitowac)

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Shlby said:
I'll check on the brand, but ANY and ALL LIFTS with a switch and a lower garage ceiling could be at risk!!
...snip...

Got the ceiling issue covered, 10ft 6" ;-)

(lousy phone cam pic)
02d3bdbd.gif

Shlby

Established Member
I just checked!
The name is Complete Lift CL8000 CSP. It is sold through Complete Hydraulics.
Sorry POSTBAN 10' 6" would not be enough either. The lift will raise the car 6'4" and the Car is about 53" tall. Not to mention the Garage door opener that hangs down about a 12". OOUCH!!

TRBO VNM

yeah, my ceilings are 12' high. but the opener hangs down a good foot, maybe more. luckily my lift is positioned that the opener is towards the rear glass so it gives me a bit more room. Even when I put it up to be able to walk under I still have 6+ inches before I need to worry. still good idea for safety switch.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Shlby said:
I just checked!
The name is Complete Lift CL8000 CSP. It is sold through Complete Hydraulics.
...snip...

Yeah, I was warned about the Chinese lifts having some issues. Researched them and found out the electronics are made here though.
I am getting an ARESCO US Made 2-post lift in Feb and will have a masteroverride switch installed. Also it has a max-height shutoff. I will have that set to a safe height. No worries about garage door opener, lift is off to the side, car hood clears door rails too because it is backset.

kennycoulter

Established Member
very scarey. the same thing happened at work today with a big commercial lift. i dont know what my buddy did to stop it. i was workign on a nother car, so i didnt see. you are very smart for thinking that quickly in that short amount of time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Excellent advice as far as the emergency cutoff and toggle switches. Just goes to show that accidents do happen and taking measures ahead of time to avoid them is always smart. That is, when the fix is pointed out like this. A+

GA Terminator

Established Member
I would just like to find some place to use or even rent a lift to do some underside detailing. Is this just wishful thinking??

oldmodman

Established Member
I was worried about that happening when I got mine so I have a foor switch that you have to press down. Then you still have to push the pushbutton on the motor to raise the lift. I have a four post lift from Bend Pak.

Users who are viewing this thread