Wanted: Ford m55 exhaust

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
hope this doesn't sound stupid..but is this only for IRS cars?

Or could I get the mufflers and weld them into my catback?

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
The M55 was made by Maremont Exhaust contracted out by FRPP. They were an IRS catback, and yes, if you find some mufflers only you CAN weld them into a STOCK '03/'04 catback, as both are offset in/out on the exact same side. The 2.5 to 2.25 diameter difference is very easy to weld.

They are a straight-thru muffler with not much fiberglass packing inside the muffler. They sound very nasty, and with an X-pipe, they are NASCAR loud. I enjoyed mine. Beggars cant be choosers with these, if you find even just a set of mufflers you need to pounce on them.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
The M55 was made by Maremont Exhaust contracted out by FRPP. They were an IRS catback, and yes, if you find some mufflers only you CAN weld them into a STOCK '03/'04 catback, as both are offset in/out on the exact same side. The 2.5 to 2.25 diameter difference is very easy to weld.

They are a straight-thru muffler with not much fiberglass packing inside the muffler. They sound very nasty, and with an X-pipe, they are NASCAR loud. I enjoyed mine. Beggars cant be choosers with these, if you find even just a set of mufflers you need to pounce on them.

i have a SRA m55 setup and im not selling it for anything less than 500 :beer:

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
Thanks for the good word. I have been told by everyone who has had it there is not a catback with mid pipe that compare in loudness and that is what I want.

Not quite...try an SLP LM1 with a UPR O/R Xpipe and you will have very similiar results.:beer:

cobra707

Established Member
Not quite...try an SLP LM1 with a UPR O/R Xpipe and you will have very similiar results.:beer:

got that on my 97 cobra now but a 3in dr gas x pipe. I want this for my 01 cobra everything I have ever herd m55 is louder then them all....... that is why I want it.

Jroc

Established Member
Bump for the OP.

I picked up some M55 mufflers yesterday that I plain to mod to fit my Magnaflow CB.

2ykz9yv.jpg

Not going to cut up my CB though as I might want to swap between the muffers from time to time. I am going to have to clean them up a little bit fit though.

So the M55 was a 2.5" exhaust right? I was thinking that it was a 3" exhaust. Maybe just the tips are 3" tips?

v6mustang164

Established Member
The whole axle back is 3in and the tips are also 3in. How does the muffler look on the inside is straight through? pics of the inside for us maybe?

Jroc

Established Member
The whole axle back is 3in and the tips are also 3in. How does the muffler look on the inside is straight through? pics of the inside for us maybe?

There M55's, and yes I did some research, and your right their 2.5" in 3" out which I don't like. Do y'all think the 2.5" tubing will quiet them down any. I'm sure they'll still sound good.

Dynomax makes some 3" tailpipes for IRS Cobras.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...7+400358+4294840044+4294748485+115+4294907915

Did some measuring and their quite a bit bigger than the Magnaflow mufflers.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...aust-work-adding-m55-mufflers-2-5-piping.html

[ame=http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136362]Ford Racing M55 CB - ModularFords.com[/ame]

I did happen to take pictures of the inside though.

2uzt46o.jpg

qqpts7.jpg

Last edited:

bigjuicy26

Established Member
i cant see paying this much money for mufflers.. brand new the whole catback was 325. i actually looked at the set jroc just bought.. i just hope they dont end up leaking...

Jroc

Established Member
i cant see paying this much money for mufflers.. brand new the whole catback was 325. i actually looked at the set jroc just bought.. i just hope they dont end up leaking...

You will if you want the sound they produce. They have been out of production for years, and to many are the best sounding mufflers on any Modular Mustang. They are a sought after commodity, so you have to pay a little bit of a premium for them in most cases.

I don't think they will leak. I work in a machine shop and have been doing some welding and grinding on them to try and avoid any chance of that. The owner before me said he hadn't experianced and hints of them leaking when I went and talked with him.

They look much better now. I cut the old sawed off pieces of the original CB's piping that were welded in them out, and I cleaned them up with my sander using a brillow pap attachment, and some "All 4 lubricant." After that I hand sanded them with some 400 grid emery cloth, and wiped them down good with some Acetone.

I'm going to build a new CB similar to the original using Dynomax 3" tailpipes,(even though I plan on cuting their tips off and using some 3 1/2" or 4" tips) and 2.5" intermediate pipes. I plan on polishing the tailpipes, and painting the mufflers Wrinkle black, as it offers great wear protection, and disipates heat extremely well.

BTW I'm also not going to weld a whole pipe right too the muffler. I plan on welding reduces(or whatever you call them so that I can use clamps on them to connect the muffler to the piping) in the mufflers so that I can take it apart in pieces if I want to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread