Want to get a D-SLR... witch one?

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
Hey guys i want to get a new camera witch slr is the best? I really like the canon 50D does any one know if somthing new is on the way?

Thanks!

tjs98gt

Established Member
im saving up for a nikon d90.....just because it has the video recorder in it too. should have it this fall some time

GodStang

Established Member
D60, D80, and D90 are great so is the Canon XSi, Canon 40D, 50D, and 5D. I use the Canon XSi and The canon 20D.

Can not go wrong with any of them just depends on your budget.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
I use a d40. Great camera, I just wish it had bracketing to make HDR's easier.

TRBO VNM

search the vids and pics section. there are some threads that go over differences and features of some of them and should give you a better idea WHICH one would best fit your needs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are a lot of excellent DSLR cameras available, with a fair price range. Remember to take into account the quality of the lenses. A great camera with a crappy lens won't get you the same results as a great camera with a great lens. Do some research using Google and you're more likely to find the best combo (camera/lens) for your needs and budget.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
I too am looking into a dslr to start into hobby photography. and was looking at the nikon D60 and D40. probably end up with the 60 cause the 40 seems to be somewhat difficult to find because of its age.

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
the 40 came out in 06 and is a great novice slr. It was and still is my first slr and I love it. I dont need much more...

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I have a canon Rebel XSI, but right now I think the new rebel or the D90 is the best thing going for the money..

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
witch-of-the-west.jpg

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I got the chance last weekend to use a D40 side by side with my XSI..

I must say, the canon takes the cake IMO hands down....

Dave07997S

Established Member
The Nikon D5000 is a great camera for the money..its basically a D90 with a few less features. It has a 12.3MP, 1024X768 video capability and can be had for around $800 with the Nikon 18-55mm lens. I am using a Nikon P5100 P&S camera, its 12mp and it has the ability to swap out lenses even though it is a P&S camera..a few recent pics.

pic.php

pic.php

I have a Nikon D5000 coming, can't wait to get it.

Dave

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
the cool thing about DSLRs is not just the quality of picture but the things you can do with a lens.

This is just s simple shot with an aperture setting of f3.0..
d7236205.jpg

notice how things in the fore ground are out of focus while the car is in focus. With something set more like F8 everything would have been in focus, but less light would have came into the camera so a longer shutter speed would have been used ..

In a very very very short summary, you balance shutter speed with how much light enters the camera

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I am a pro photog, and I absolutely love the nikon's baby!! Been using them over ten years and have never let me down. I am using the D3 right now. I also have a D700. Both are fantastic. I would get the D90, or the D5000. Just don't go cheap on glass. Lenses are the most important part of the equation. G/L

Dave07997S

Established Member
I am a pro photog, and I absolutely love the nikon's baby!! Been using them over ten years and have never let me down. I am using the D3 right now. I also have a D700. Both are fantastic. I would get the D90, or the D5000. Just don't go cheap on glass. Lenses are the most important part of the equation. G/L

Good advice..what do you think about the Nikons image being a little soft? I know this is an issue of the way the photo is processed and can be corrected in the RAW image. I just keep reading that the Canons image is a little sharper than the Nikon.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread