Waiter spilled water on my phone

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Went to eat at Steak and Shake last night with some friends and the waiter spilled the tray of drinks and spilled water on my iphone. I shut the phone off right away and kept it off till just now to allow it to dry incase water got inside. Well after turning it on, It's not working properly. Should I call the manager and see if they will replace it? Are the liable for it? The kid was a nice kid, probably in highschool, and I'd hate to have him fired over this. Any suggestions?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
You could push the issue if you want. Might get the kid fired though.

This is actually quite common. I saw it a few times a month at at&t. Usually they were reimbursed for the cost of replacing the phone but it took a few weeks to settle it out.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Yes, go up there and/or call and tell them what happened.

What's the worst that can happen, they give you shit about it and do nothing? You're not out anything by asking.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Called and spoke to the manager. He said to call back Wednesday when the general manager would be in.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
that manager is putting it off. doesnt want to deal with it. a good manager would take your number, call the GM and get back to you asap. my advice is to call back, get the guys number and at least report the problem. the longer it goes unreported...the less "sense of emergency" there is for them to resolve it or fix it.

Ross, did you tell the waiter at time of incident that the water hit your phone?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
that manager is putting it off. doesnt want to deal with it. a good manager would take your number, call the GM and get back to you asap. my advice is to call back, get the guys number and at least report the problem. the longer it goes unreported...the less "sense of emergency" there is for them to resolve it or fix it.

Ross, did you tell the waiter at time of incident that the waiter hit your phone?

This

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Just make an insurance claim and call it day. 100$ is probably what you would have to pay out of pocket. You may take the chance of getting this kid in trouble for something that was an accident. But then again, we really don't know what the outcome will be.

Just make him give you fellatio in the alley way after he gets off his shift.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'd hate to see the guy fired over an honest mistake, but I wouldn't eat a supposed $100. I make honest mistakes and pay to fix them if that's what it takes.

Seriously, was the service good?

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
I filed a claim with the BBB and will be calling the General Manager on wednesday.

The service was average at best for us being the only patrons at the time. And yes, the waiter did know he spilled it on my phone.

txyaloo

Established Member
I'd find out who the GM is right now and call them. I also would throw the phone in a bag of rice for a few days. It sucks you can't remove the damn battery in an iphone.

Grimster

Established Member
I would pursue it. The waiter messed up, the waiter should be held responsible. Id hate to see someone get fired too....but it was his fault so he needs to "face the music" and take responsibility.

Id call back and either have the manager contact the GM or see if you can get the GM's information directly. I have people call me directly all the time to work out issues. Im the GM of my company too.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
its frickn steak and shake not NASA. if it come down to some pimple headed doosh's job and my phone....guess which one wins.

finaliize

Established Member
Not for nothing but if you were really the only patrons at the time and he dropped a tray of drinks.. its called be more careful. Accidents happen but the tray of drinks were dropped for a reason, and like someone said, its Steak n Shake. If the kid got fired you're probably doing him a favor.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wouldn't wait for Wednesday to get a written report in the works, even if the GM won't be in until Wednesday. The more time that passes the more likely the story might change on the waiter's part. And in the meantime you don't have a fully functional phone. If you have to, stop back at the restaurant maybe even tonight (if that is possible) and discuss the incident with the manager. Hopefully you have the waiter's name. Have the manager at least take a written report, one you can then review. Make sure he understands the urgency of your need for the phone to be replace/fixed. He can then meet with the GM on Wednesday and get right back to you right away.

Bottom line is that none of this was your fault. You should not have to lay out a penny. Hopefully the restaurant will settle this quickly with you and you'll have a fully functioning phone very soon.

Satyr

Established Member
I agree with what's been said above: it sucks if the kid gets fired, but it's either your money or his. Which is more valuable to you? He made an honest mistake, but that doesn't mean he is out of all responsibility. Maybe you could try talking to the worker and see if he will resolve it beforehand? Maybe he'll pay for the insurance replacement to keep his job?

If not, I would definitely get in touch with the GM, and pronto. The longer you wait, the greater the chance of them saying, "sure, the water spilled on it but it's been X days since then, why am I just now hearing of it?"

Users who are viewing this thread