Vortech's test mule......

klarkent42

Man of Steel
Established Member
So apparently Vortech's working on a new kit for the 03-04 Cobra's. My cousin (a Vortech employee) said they are interested in using my car as a test vehicle for this new kit. He said they would feature it in magazines, ads, and they would also give me free parts when they were done with it.

The downside is that they're gonna have the car for a few months and I figured they're probably gonna beat the shit out of it for testing purposes.

That being said.... would you do it?

jrandy

Established Member
i know people who companies have done that for, and it usually turns out to be a HUGE headache. They usually have the car longer than they say, ect.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
It is, but this was just brought to my attention and now I'm considering keeping the car a little bit longer :shrug:

cool. But no, i wouldnt do it becuase of the reason you already state. Thee gonna beat on your right and you will not be able to sleep at ease for a long as they have it. ITs not worth it at all in my opinion. Hell, i hate leaving my car for 2 hours to get it inspected by my buddies shop

VNMIZD95

Established Member
That's a tough one... I would say no.. just for the reason that they will have it for a while.. but the free parts is an upside!:rolling:

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
Tough call. It would be cool to have your car featured in various what nots & see some new stuff featured on your car, but if you have no idea what is going to be done & for how long, i would hesitate, at least your cousin, is there, to maybe oversee some things. Seems you may be selling anyways, I would let them find another mule.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Like Vortech can't afford their own Cobra. They can have my Mach, if they forge the internals for me, we'll call it even.

klarkent42

Man of Steel
Established Member
I just talked to my cousin a little bit ago and he said they would buy me wheels and tires (of their choice), springs and shocks, and all the necesary hardware to go along with the blower install. He showed me a picture of the blower and it looks similar to a whipple. The lower manifold is included in the install as well as an upgraded throttle body and all supporting mods. The blower itslelf is black and has a strip down the side that says "vortech superchargers". Not quite sure if it's a twin screw. Vortech says it's capable of 100+ hp and tq increase with mild boost. I'll see if my cousin can send me the pic so I can post it.

Anyway, he also said they would buy me a brand new motor if they blew it up or if anything went wrong...

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I just talked to my cousin a little bit ago and he said they would buy me wheels and tires (of their choice), springs and shocks, and all the necesary hardware to go along with the blower install. He showed me a picture of the blower and it looks similar to a whipple. The lower manifold is included in the install as well as an upgraded throttle body and all supporting mods. The blower itslelf is black and has a strip down the side that says "vortech superchargers". Not quite sure if it's a twin screw. Vortech says it's capable of 100+ hp and tq increase with mild boost. I'll see if my cousin can send me the pic so I can post it.

Anyway, he also said they would buy me a brand new motor if they blew it up or if anything went wrong...

i dont see what the problem would be then.......get it in writting and maybe ask an attorney/lawyer what legal steps should be taken to cover your ass? maybe?

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
The blower is essentially a Whipple 2300AX, Lysholm designed and built, sold under the vortech name under the right of Lysholm. Yes it is a twin screw, but the technology is not anything fancy or new. It's very similar to the blower used on the Ford GT super car, looks exactly like the old Whipple 2300AX, before Whipple started building and designing their own compressors.

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
I'm going out on a limb to say you haven't seen pics of this blower yet?

IMG_1012.jpg

http://video.stangtv.com/video/7555

Vortech Debuts Twin Screw Superchargers with Lysholm
You heard it right. Vortech has teamed up with Lysholm in Sweden to develop new, positive displacement, twin-screw supercharger kits. Lysholm originally developed this blower seen in the photo above for the late-model Ford GT super car. This is a major change for the company, as it has concentrated exclusively on centrifugal compressors.

The blower's twin-screw design pulls the air in from the top of the compression screws, actually compresses it, and discharges out the bottom. “A lot of people have been asking for a supercharger that creates bottom end torque. Truck owners care more about bottom end then they do on the top end”, says Director of Sales, Gil Cormaci.

The twin-screw design means Vortech will be building intake manifolds for the VL-series. This is a whole new thing for Vortech. The parts on their vehicles display were the first made prototypes. Vortech feels that their reputation will lead people to believe in their new twin-screw blowers.

The kits will come with bypass valve, air/water cooler, and Diablosport tuner with a custom Vortech tune. These superchargers will be capable of producing over 20 PSI. The LS based kit will ship the first quarter of 2009, offered in 2.3L and 3.3L kits, with the tuner kits possibly shipping a little earlier. The GT500 direct replacement blowers will be available around the same time.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Just make sure you get it in writing if you do!

Also, did Ford revive the positive displacement blower market with the Cobras and Lightnings? Seems like there's a huge market for them since SVT started using them regularly.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Just make sure you get it in writing if you do!

Also, did Ford revive the positive displacement blower market with the Cobras and Lightnings? Seems like there's a huge market for them since SVT started using them regularly.

they make sense with a small displacement V8 (well in the cobra's case at least, not so much the 5.4's)

they make for a very broad powerband. A turbo would be just mostly top end, and centrifugal would build boost with rpm so the car more or less would feel naturally aspirated down low. With a positive displacement, you can make a small motor feel like a way larger motor all throughout the rpm range.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
I'm going out on a limb to say you haven't seen pics of this blower yet?

IMG_1012.jpg

http://video.stangtv.com/video/7555

Vortech Debuts Twin Screw Superchargers with Lysholm
You heard it right. Vortech has teamed up with Lysholm in Sweden to develop new, positive displacement, twin-screw supercharger kits. Lysholm originally developed this blower seen in the photo above for the late-model Ford GT super car. This is a major change for the company, as it has concentrated exclusively on centrifugal compressors.

The blower's twin-screw design pulls the air in from the top of the compression screws, actually compresses it, and discharges out the bottom. “A lot of people have been asking for a supercharger that creates bottom end torque. Truck owners care more about bottom end then they do on the top end”, says Director of Sales, Gil Cormaci.

The twin-screw design means Vortech will be building intake manifolds for the VL-series. This is a whole new thing for Vortech. The parts on their vehicles display were the first made prototypes. Vortech feels that their reputation will lead people to believe in their new twin-screw blowers.

The kits will come with bypass valve, air/water cooler, and Diablosport tuner with a custom Vortech tune. These superchargers will be capable of producing over 20 PSI. The LS based kit will ship the first quarter of 2009, offered in 2.3L and 3.3L kits, with the tuner kits possibly shipping a little earlier. The GT500 direct replacement blowers will be available around the same time.

I've seen pics of it. Looks EXACTLY like the 2300AX whipple. Just has a different inlet since the one in the pic is for a GT500. The front casing is slightly changed too. But the actual compressor case is essentially a W2300AX.

Here is a W2300AX for comparison.

6263b340.gif

abcecbe7.gif

Users who are viewing this thread