Voodoo Child

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
CFM is only part of the story. You can actually have a cylinder head that is down on CFM then another head but kill it on the engine dyno.

Well said. From Tom Wilson's superb article on the Boss from a few years ago...

"So the exhaust port geometry turned out quite differently than what you would come up with on a flow bench. And so if you flow these heads on a bench, there are actually some lift regimes where these will look worse than a Coyote, whereas on a running engine they actually out-perform it."

The counterintuitive area was the exhaust port floor, right in the throat of the port outside the valve seat. This area was choked, and the computer "actually told us to open between the guide and the short turn, which we could only do by pushing the floor lower. This would have looked worse on a flow bench," but it definitely made more power.

Along the same lines, cutting material from the backside of the exhaust valve head helped because the team could see the airflow was more sideways, across the valve head, rather then the textbook example of bending around the head in a classic tulip shape.
From here.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
I have a question about valve sizes. If you have two 38.3mm (1.51") intake valves, is that the same flow as having a single 76.6mm (3.02") intake valve on a two valve motor, or is there a different formula for two valves versus one valve flow?

That's a good question because valve size really is the most important factor behind any port. It is the most restrictive aspect and is limited by piston bore/combustion chamber size.

This quote from David Vizard says it all:

“The most important factor in making hp is the circumference of the intake valve in relation to the cylinder's displacement. All two-valve V-8s are under-valved for the cubes those valves have to feed.” David Vizard

Of course I'm not saying that other things are not important but design starts with the question; "how big a valve can we/should we use for the intended application?". Then the rest of the port is designed from there.

To answer your question directly: Two 1.51" valves are equivalent to a 2.14" single valve.

Piston bore spacing/diameter limitations are the reason Ford went with the 4 valve head in the first place. There was no way they were going to derive any semblance of a performance engine with a single intake valve in the tiny 3.55" bore. Imagine trying to stuff a 2.14" single valve in one of our heads. And it's not just huge valve area that provides giant slayer heads for our beloved stangs, it's the valve layout too. With intake and exhaust valves directly across from each other, AND angled toward each other, airflow during overlap is increased dramatically because the incoming air doesnt have to make a 90 degree turn to exit. Of course their are many other benefits to the 4 valve head but I'm long winded enough as it is.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Inside the flanges, there's a fairly "tall" wire fed machine bead that sometimes gets dressed or hit quickly with a carbide cutter. Given the level of detail at every square inch of this engine I have no doubt that they either have no impact or somehow serve a favorable function, beyond just fusing the tubes to the flange.

IMG_7884-%20w%20svtp%20wm.jpg

Regarding this part, a friend of ours who serves as the crew chief for the Daigo Saito pro drift team saw that and said the bead looks to possibly acts as a way to funnel or suction the gasses and cause the exhaust to move faster. That's the best way I can explain what he said but he seemed to recognize why it is there.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I wondered if they had to do with reversion (or anti-reversion) but increasing velocity sounds plausible. After learning how much effort went into these to eek out every last ounce of power it does make sense that any process which proves favorable over another one would be taken advantage of. They look to be machine welded (wire fed or mig) which I thought was interesting given that much of the outside is tig, by hand. Then again, the hand laid mig welds Watson was laying down on the FRPP GT500 headers they did years ago were a bit ugly. The green you see is a trace of the inside of a factory gasket. The 5.2 production headers look much better.

IMG_5358.jpg

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Regarding this part, a friend of ours who serves as the crew chief for the Daigo Saito pro drift team saw that and said the bead looks to possibly acts as a way to funnel or suction the gasses and cause the exhaust to move faster. That's the best way I can explain what he said but he seemed to recognize why it is there.

Either it cost too much extra cash to run a burr over these for little gain (i.e. is the gain worth the extra money?), or they are left there to help with reversion. My guess is that it is a combination of both.

With the exhaust pulses of an FPC engine, this could possibly be a big help.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Was there any mention of a voodoo crate motor in the future? I have to have this thing!
keep in mind that the GT350 should be hitting the track in IMSA continental tire sports car challenge any time now(multimatic said during the off season that it would be at sebring, 2nd race of the season, but i recently asked them on their FB page when we'll see it and got what was essentially the "it'll be ready when it's ready" answer - not that i would expect anything less from a group as meticulous as multimatic.
anyways, point being, every racing engine ford has used in the last decade(especially in road racing) has been available either through FRPP(FPRP?) or roush-yates(who builds all of them, including blueprinted, sealed factory stock engines for series that require such), so it's all but guaranteed that you'll easily be able to buy this engine if you want.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I wondered if they had to do with reversion (or anti-reversion) but increasing velocity sounds plausible. After learning how much effort went into these to eek out every last ounce of power it does make sense that any process which proves favorable over another one would be taken advantage of. They look to be machine welded (wire fed or mig) which I thought was interesting given that much of the outside is tig, by hand. Then again, the hand laid mig welds Watson was laying down on the FRPP GT500 headers they did years ago were a bit ugly. The green you see is a trace of the inside of a factory gasket. The 5.2 production headers look much better.

IMG_5358.jpg

Either it cost too much extra cash to run a burr over these for little gain (i.e. is the gain worth the extra money?), or they are left there to help with reversion. My guess is that it is a combination of both.

With the exhaust pulses of an FPC engine, this could possibly be a big help.

I dont have much knowledge on this stuff, but just passing on what he recognized it as. He's Japanese and very knowledgeable and that was just what he recognized it as. He made it sound like it was something the Japanese have done in the past. Just thought I would throw that out there as a possibility.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
keep in mind that the GT350 should be hitting the track in IMSA continental tire sports car challenge any time now(multimatic said during the off season that it would be at sebring, 2nd race of the season, but i recently asked them on their FB page when we'll see it and got what was essentially the "it'll be ready when it's ready" answer - not that i would expect anything less from a group as meticulous as multimatic.
anyways, point being, every racing engine ford has used in the last decade(especially in road racing) has been available either through FRPP(FPRP?) or roush-yates(who builds all of them, including blueprinted, sealed factory stock engines for series that require such), so it's all but guaranteed that you'll easily be able to buy this engine if you want.

That's true. I did not think of it from that aspect. I just hope the coyote control pack will work with it with a custom tune or that they release a new one for this engine since its seems like they spent a stupid amount of time get the variable valve timing exactly right for these cams and new firing order.

Users who are viewing this thread