Vmp gt500 tb issue

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I ordered the tvs gt500 kit from lethal perf. They have it directly shipped to them from vmp and act as a middle man I guess. I ordered all the other parts like the belt, Intake, and coupler from vmp.
I don't regret the gt500 tb until I see numbers. I'm not saying the parts are bad, it's just seems like there are wierd issues going on

greenflash00

Established Member
I had to bend my fuel rail inlet down a bit too to clear. The thing out of all of this that gets me is how we got TB's with no machining in them for the Oring….that's just weird.

Also, I got a little spring with my kit but couldn't figure out what it was for? Didn't' look like it fit anywhere on the throttle linkage.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Anyone can can call me, just pm your number. I can send pics and offer help from my experience. Again I cant figure out to to send a pic on here through my phone.

I do no not know anything about a spring flash000 lol

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had to bend my fuel rail inlet down a bit too to clear. The thing out of all of this that gets me is how we got TB's with no machining in them for the Oring….that's just weird.

Also, I got a little spring with my kit but couldn't figure out what it was for? Didn't' look like it fit anywhere on the throttle linkage.

If memory serves me right, I believe that spring is to help close the tb blade when it's closed. I remember some members mentioning have problems with this when the kit first came out. I did NOT get that spring in my kit but don't have any issues.

greenflash00

Established Member
I figured it was something like that but couldn't see where it fit anywhere. The TB has it's own spring anyway so I didn't see the need. Seems some of these kits are shipping with different stuff than others. :burnout:

94slowbra1

Established Member
wonder where all the vmp people are? there are usually all over the termintaor section. id like to hear an explanation for these issues

94slowbra1

Established Member
i know. every vmp thread i see with "i love my tvs", there all over it. seems like now there is a problem and you cant get anybody. ive been considering switching from my 2.3 whipple to a vmp tvs lately but this my sway me to keep my whipple. missing hardware, throttle linkage doesnt line up, un-machined o-ring grove on t/b. sounds like a quality control issue. hopefully it gets resolved for you.

cj428mach

Established Member
sounds like a quality control issue. hopefully it gets resolved for you.

Sometimes it works in your favor. lol

I ordered an 100mm VMP MAF conversion kit from Latemodel restoration. I got the MAF in the mail in about a week and installed it. Then about another week or so later there was another box from VMP on my door step. I open it up and it was a 2nd VMP 100mm MAF conversion kit but this one was all thrown together some of the wrappers were off the parts and they were partially assembled. The first one was boxed up the way you'd expect a new part to come. I checked my bank statement and had only been charged for one of the conversion kits. Thankfully the good guy in my head won the argument as I messaged Justin at VMP and they sent a delivery guy to pick it up.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
If anyone else had any issues please come forward. Is this just a bad batch recently or have people maybe kept their quarry to themselves?

greenflash00

Established Member
I would say to probably call Justin and talk to him about it. I called up there the other day when I had a question during my install and they were very helpful. I really don't think the o ring recess not being there is really a big deal as you can just use some rtv, as mentioned, but it does make you wonder "why".

If I had to guess I would say that they had some TB's originally that didn't have the recess and they are slowly phasing that model out to the new design. I think the functionality will be identical though. I am a bit worried about the linkage on mine as well though. I'm sure Justin will send you new bolts or at least compensate you for the new hardware at the local hardware store because those should be there. Mine was.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Do you wish you went with an Accufab TB now? Just asking as I will be doing this shortly. I too have all the tools as I am in the auto repair business. I really don't want to machine anything or bend anything.. I'd like to call you if possible and get some advice. Thanks
mike

I wouldn't come within 100' of a free Accucrap throttle body. Mine was garbage, sent it back and $90 later it was fixed. Six hundred miles later with the same problem, Accufab's comment, "send it back it will cost you $90 to repair." That answer your question?

wonder where all the vmp people are? there are usually all over the termintaor section. id like to hear an explanation for these issues

Seems you're the only one having the problem, which should have been handled directly with Lethal and or VMP from the get go. Both are extremely responsive to customers issues. For the life of me I can't figure out why consumers don't take up difficulties directly with the vendor first. They're much easier to get ahold of via email and phone than a 3rd party Internet forum.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Damn making me feel good about not getting that accufab lol!
There are 2 of us with similar problems tractionless1, I had maybe a little more. Easy answer to why we did not get in touch with vmp. I didn't get in contact with vmp because they are closed during the weekends. I did this early Saturday Morning and I'll be dammed if I'm going to leave my car torn apart all weekend when I could figure most of the stuff out by myself. Just the most unnaceptable issue is that I had to get it machined to fit. The $ spent is easily worth having my car running and ready for tuning. Am I going to wait another week and a half for a new tb and intercooler bolt to come in and leave my car in the shop? Hell no!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
i know. every vmp thread i see with "i love my tvs", there all over it. seems like now there is a problem and you cant get anybody. ive been considering switching from my 2.3 whipple to a vmp tvs lately but this my sway me to keep my whipple. missing hardware, throttle linkage doesnt line up, un-machined o-ring grove on t/b. sounds like a quality control issue. hopefully it gets resolved for you.

I really don't see much of a reason to switch from your whipple to a vmp tvs. Plenty of guys making great power with the whipples, and actually my tvs (same boost) makes about the same hp as local cobras running a whipple.

cj428mach

Established Member
I really don't see much of a reason to switch from your whipple to a vmp tvs. Plenty of guys making great power with the whipples, and actually my tvs (same boost) makes about the same hp as local cobras running a whipple.

Removal inlet elbow = priceless.

I had to remove my Whipple to install my ID1000's wouldn't have been an issue with the TVS.

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
VMP redesigned the TB. I have both here. The old one has a O ring. The new one has the IAC hole at the top similar to the Accufab design. You can not fit both the slot and the O ring so the O ring had to go. I spoke to Justin and this was a simple change to better run the IAC. He will be including a gasket as soon as they are done. The supply of the old style TB ran out before the gaskets where ready. So yes rtv will work.
Also I noticed some small changes in the cam on the side. But it appeared to be more on the cruise boss.

Let me know if you want any measurements or pics.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Removal inlet elbow = priceless.

I had to remove my Whipple to install my ID1000's wouldn't have been an issue with the TVS.

I understand that, but for someone who already has the whipple on there car it makes no sense to me to make the switch. Just my thoughts.

cj428mach

Established Member
I understand that, but for someone who already has the whipple on there car it makes no sense to me to make the switch. Just my thoughts.

Coming from someone with a Whipple it would be entirely worth it. If VMP comes through with the EGR equipped TVS I'll be buying one. The other thing is the TVS has more pulley options still being made, and the better TB options. The extra HP and torque are just a bonus. I think the highest stock long block 2.3 whipple I've really seen is 04sleepers car at 714rwhp on e85 and 22 psi. You have Timspony and Senkak Both at 730+ with 21 to 21.5 PSI.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
So, I just read this again.
OP, did you ever talk to anyone at VMP about this? Did you just think posting a thread on here would magically solve all of your issues?
Send Justin a PM if you aren't willing to call them.

Users who are viewing this thread