Vmp gt500 tb issue

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I'm installing a 2.3 tvs. Install isn't too bad. Instructions are random and vague. Diagram for the vacuum lines seemed to miss a few steps, but maybe that's just me. Now I rtv'd the gt500 tb to the elbow, even though th directions don't say how to do it and I used some random bolts to connect the tb to the elbow because they didn't supply them, and now I find my throttle cable doesn't fit in the armature mechanical linkage of the gt500 throttle body. Unless I'm supposed to grind something down and the instructions don't tell you, I don't know what to do. A comparison picture of my tb to other gt500 tb shows that my armature is thicker, and doesn't allow the cable to line up with the valley that they cable rests in. I don't know what to do...

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Why would you rtv the TB to the elbow? It has a o-ring gasket and all bolts and hardware should be included in the kit. That is if you bought it brand new.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
O ring is for elbow to supercharger. There is no supplied gasket or information for gt500 tb to the elbow. I'm looking at the supply list that came with the new supercharger with the gt500 kit and it states nothing about a deal or gasket for the throttle body

greenflash00

Established Member
Yeah mine didn't have a recess for an o-ring on the TB either…only elbow to blower. I used a very thin coat of rtv on mine as well. I did however get bolts for it…weird that you didn't. It's a smooth machined surface so you shouldn't have any issues.

My throttle linkage doesn't line up perfectly either but it will work. There is a little bind right at the bottom where the cable connects to the tb.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
If i recall correctly the elbow to TB has o ring and so dose the TB. Possibly you guys got some incorrect parts or something. I would contact VMP directly. Im sure they will take care of everything

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
O ring is for elbow to supercharger. There is no supplied gasket or information for gt500 tb to the elbow. I'm looking at the supply list that came with the new supercharger with the gt500 kit and it states nothing about a deal or gasket for the throttle body

There instructions clearly state that there is a o ring for the elbow and the TB. Also all the hardware that is included. Link below.
http://vmptuning.com/terminator/Cobra TVS BIG ELBOW Parts list & Install Notes.pdf

Last edited:

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Interesting find bdubbs. I was only sent these instructions for my blower that I bought the gt500 kit with. http://vmptuning.com/terminator/Cobra TVS Parts list & Install Notes.pdf

No seal was stated in my instructions. And those instructions you sent, though has a seal in the parts list, is no where in the install procedure written out. And again, a rubber seal would be useless because there is no groove to put a seal in between the elbow and tb, except for a very small 1 inch or smaller diameter groove at the very top of the tb.
Who knows, since my tb armature was way thicker than pictures they have online, maybe they updated the part without a seal groove. I had to take mine to a machine shop to get the throttle cable to fit in the valley. So something has changed or someone screwed up.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
04-mystichrome, there is a small groove. I'm trying to be clear about this because I'm unable to post pictures, but the only groove there is on the back of the tb was at the very top. There is a small opening at the top of the tb I guess to let a little air through the monoblade. But that groove is about an inch long. There is no groove around the back circumference of the tb.

Last edited:

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Thats weird, it should have a grove machined into it for the o ring seal. IS the words Cobra or Termi machined into the top of TB?

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
It said Term vmp tvs, or something in that order I believe instead. Basically instead of Termi it said term.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I had a lot of issues I wasn't happy with vmp about. Mostly lack of instructions, missing bolts, damaged bolts, incorrect fitment and so on and so on. After the car is running right and I can verify I installed everything correctly and make sure I didn't screw up, I plan to make a 2.3 tvs write up with all the problems one might face that won't be addressed anywhere online. I know this would have helped me so I'll help the next joe.

greenflash00

Established Member
This is the image of the GT500 TB straight off of VMP's site. Mine did NOT look like this on the back either. There was no machined line to hold the O-ring…Ironically enough they did send me the O ring haha. It seemed to mate up perfectly to the elbow though. Nothing a bit of RTV didn't fix.

Mine also had TVS TERM written on it.

vmp-term-tvs-2.jpg

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
When i got mine everything was complete and was a straight forward install with no issues whats so ever. Only hard part of install was getting to the bolts under the plenum and TB with GT500 set up . That was not even issues for me, thanks to all the snap-on tools i have invested in over the last 15 years. I will admit some of the instructions was a lil vague, but if you have done a blower install in the past, its all the same. OP if you can post pics of what you have it would help out a lot

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Tools where a non issue for me, I have it all as well. Blower install wasn't to hard either. The elbow and tb had problems due to lack of literature and organization. When you order the gt500 kit, the gt500 tb, the coupler for the intake, and the pulley belt all have to be ordered seperately. Not a big deal, just have the whole kit complete? I didn't recieve the tb bolts. One of the intercooler to blower bolts was broken in half and threads chewed. Vacuum line placement a lil unclear. My vacuum line placement and colors didn't match what they stated. Tb armature too thick, needed to spend money at a machine shop to fix. After install throttle cable is **** eyed rubbing against inner edge tb aramature. Had to bend throttle cable braket into correct shape. No tb seal or instructions on how to install. Elbow even without remote iac installed hits fuel rail inlet. It required
Me to bend the rail inlet. Tools were not the issue, just what seemed to be bad engineering fitment and explaining these potential problems. They were all easy fixes, just figuring out the best choice of choice of how to fix these issues after spending 4k on a product that doesn't fit properly and paying for it to be machined is irritating.

I can send you pics mystic if you pm me, I can only use my phone for pics and they don't send on here for some reason

Last edited:

Mike L.

Established Member
Do you wish you went with an Accufab TB now? Just asking as I will be doing this shortly. I too have all the tools as I am in the auto repair business. I really don't want to machine anything or bend anything.. I'd like to call you if possible and get some advice. Thanks
mike

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
When i got mine everything was complete and was a straight forward install with no issues whats so ever. Only hard part of install was getting to the bolts under the plenum and TB with GT500 set up . That was not even issues for me, thanks to all the snap-on tools i have invested in over the last 15 years. I will admit some of the instructions was a lil vague, but if you have done a blower install in the past, its all the same. OP if you can post pics of what you have it would help out a lot

Yup so was mine. I bought my kit this spring, it's weird if some members just recently bought the kit and had missing bolts and no o-ring on the TB. I would be a little pissed off about that. Another thing that bothered me with the GT500 TB kit is they don't include the 4.5"-5" silicone coupler which is needed for running that bigger TB. That's an additional 30.00 bucks or so.

Users who are viewing this thread