VMP Gen2 TVS blower swap on an upper-only 2013 GT500 "trinity"

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I wanted to compare my new Gen2 blower on a "mild" Trinity setup, one of my local customers came to mind. We've already shown what's possible with Gen2 on cars running 20psi and gaining +50rwhp. On this early 13 GT500 it has a 2.4 upper, res delete/filter combo on the stock CAI, CJ65mm throttle body, and Longtubes. The car also has an RXT and 3.73, since his stock clutch grenaded at the track a while back.

I wanted to baseline the combo first and then bring it up to current spec with a JLT 127mm carbon fiber CAI and a VMP 67mm TB, I suspected there was more power to be had out of the trinity with those two modifications, and I was right. The CJ65mm throttle body has been around for 5+ years now and is good, but can't always keep up with all the air these new blowers can take in.

724RWHP baseline, then 742RWHP with the induction mods, these things love airflow!

grantbeforeintake.jpg
grantafterJLT-TJ.jpg

grant%201%20baseline.jpg

With that out of the way, it was time to do an A to B Gen2 comparison on this mild combination, after all, this car is only running about 15psi of boost, like many other 13-14 GT500s. On the same tune, same 21* timing, same day, we picked up 23rwhp, with the gains starting as early as 4000RPM.

Overall, with everything we did over his old combo, we picked up 41rwhp. By today's standards, we're still running a modest 67mm throttle body and only a 127MM CAI. While not the absolute largest, they are common parts which many people run and yield great drive ability.

The owner of this car has a Twin Turbo AWD supercar that make 1500RWHP, but the best part, he loves his American muscle car. The gains from this setup were modest, but with the foundation built, there is room to grow. With the reports from our last E85 Gen2 combo that made 822RWHP/833RWTQ (a record for stock engine 13-14 I believe), I would not be suprised to see this car rolling around Central Florida with an 800+RWHP E85 combo, at this stage of the game, its too easy, it only takes ID1000 injectors, Dual VMP fuel pump boosters, and a 10% OD crank pulley to get there.

grant%202%20gen2swap.jpg

Happy modding! we'll have Gen2 blowers on display at Mustang Week next week and on Friday we'll be doing a Gen2 5.0l housing swap on Jay Tucker's Rouscharged 2013 GT.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Great write up Justin, that Gen 2 TVS is a awesome blower. I'm kinda undecided whether to do E85 or swap to a Gen 2 TVS. Also do you feel that the 13/14 GT500s benefit from running your heat exchanger? Or is money spent better elsewhere on this car.

Last edited:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Now that we have the triple pass with dual 11" fans there is no question it's a monumental improvement over stock 13/14.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Now that we have the triple pass with dual 11" fans there is no question it's a monumental improvement over stock 13/14.

Ya i think that will be my next mod, E85 just seems like a pain the ass and the tune you wrote me is doing great so why change it.

ThomasL

Established Member
Ya i think that will be my next mod, E85 just seems like a pain the ass and the tune you wrote me is doing great so why change it.

Just out of curiosity, why is e85 a pain in the ass for you? Because it's hard to find near you? If stations near you have it, i'd highly recommend it.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, why is e85 a pain in the ass for you? Because it's hard to find near you? If stations near you have it, i'd highly recommend it.

That's honestly my biggest complaint, the Closest station to me is 25 miles away. That and I'm very happy with my current tune, just worried my E85 tune won't have as good of driveability as my current tune.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
That's honestly my biggest complaint, the Closest station to me is 25 miles away. That and I'm very happy with my current tune, just worried my E85 tune won't have as good of driveability as my current tune.

Zero issues with drivabilty here and this is my DD!

Manuel

ThomasL

Established Member

That makes sense. I was just curious. The drivability is just fine on e85 btw. Glad you're happy with the current tune :beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great info., sounds about what was expected from a mild combo that will only widen with more boost.

As far as the E85 thing goes, if the closest station is 25 miles, probably not a great idea---these cars like fuel and will drink a LOT of E85.
Luckily I have 3 stations in a 10mile radius.
In Arizona, a triple pass HE with fans and E85 would be an awesome idea.
E85 will drop motor coolant temps 10* minimum alone.
-J

TTlambo

Established Member
I'm super lucky to have VMP in my back yard!

Justin did an awesome job on my car and continues to offer great advice and products to improve on the already awesome platform that the 2013-14 GT500 has given us. We are not done with my car yet that's for sure!

TTlambo

Established Member
Guys e85 is the way to go if it works with your current set up. 25 miles is nothing for the price, it's stupid cheap!!!
We have to drive several miles anyway for race fuel and pay 5 times as much for it? Just my 2cents....

ThomasL

Established Member
Guys e85 is the way to go if it works with your current set up. 25 miles is nothing for the price, it's stupid cheap!!!
We have to drive several miles anyway for race fuel and pay 5 times as much for it? Just my 2cents....

Even better is if you store it at your house! Less trips to the gas station!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Trust me I'm a huge E85 fan and will run it soon, but the guy asking that drives it a lot it seems and 25 miles just to fill up these small tanks will be a pain in the @ss eventually.

Big congrats on your results, great combo for sure.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Even better is if you store it at your house! Less trips to the gas station!

Haha, my brother were just discussing if we have our shop ready for next spring, we're buying a 55 gallon drum of the good E85 for races.
Thankfully, I can't tell you how luck we are with high 85-87 ethanol readings from our local pumps and he tests often.

VMP--any other Gen 2 tests coming?

Any full on MAX power (built motor, cams, etc) try coming?
-J

ThomasL

Established Member
Bimini: Funny you mention the 55 gallon drum AND the built motor at VMP.....i've always got plans and wanna go faaaaaast!!!! Haha. Motor plans might be awhile though.

TTlambo

Established Member
Trust me I'm a huge E85 fan and will run it soon, but the guy asking that drives it a lot it seems and 25 miles just to fill up these small tanks will be a pain in the @ss eventually.

Big congrats on your results, great combo for sure.
-J

Thanks, but yes I understand the drive thats way I'm getting more 5 gallon cans. Fortunately for me e85 is only about 15 miles or so. Also I don't drive my car that much so I hope the gas keeps for a while and doesn't loose its octane rating? Not sure if it has the same basic shelf life as regular gas?

Kazsak

Established Member
I have used E85 that was 9 months old in two 5 gal VIP jugs and no issues. Probably not recommended but easier for me to use it then figure out how to dump it.

Users who are viewing this thread