Viper TA vs Hellcat

paintless302

Established Member
I wonder what dodge has in store for a viper mid-life refresh (like gen3 2003-2006 to gen 4 2008-2010).

The other thing I'm wondering about is how the hellcat will perform in 1/4 with slicks/skinnies + boltons (Headers, Pulleys, Tune).

Probably ****ing beastmode with that auto. Those cars are no slouch, and have proven repeatedly people have to be on their shit even in "fast" cars or its bye felcia.

paintless302

Established Member
I agree that trap speed won't always tell the story in a roll race. Hell, two cars can go back and forth from one race to the next if the starting speed changes.

But this difference is largely dependent on pulling one car out of its powerband due to gearing differences. Both cars in gear, launching in a range between their tq and hp peaks should be the same general result from all speeds negating traction and aero.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
But this difference is largely dependent on pulling one car out of its powerband due to gearing differences. Both cars in gear, launching in a range between their tq and hp peaks should be the same general result from all speeds negating traction and aero.

If two cars were at an optimal spot at all speeds then the results wouldn't change. In the real world this isn't the case though.

For me, 60 mph is a horrible speed and cars that I easily walk from 40-50 will stay with me or pull me if we start at 60.

When my brother and I used to race our Camaros it was a similar effect. They had different transmission gearing and made similar power. On the street they were pretty neck and neck. In the 1/4 mile they trapped about the same, but in the 1/8 mile I had like 3-4 mph on him. This was due to where he had to shift in relation to the beams. Same thing can happen in the 1/4 between two cars.

Once again, I'm not talking about the Viper and Hellcat in this race, just addressing the blanket idea the that higher trapping car will always win a roll race.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
He doesn't want to "redeem" himself because he largely doesn't care about the e-peen contests and doesn't trust the parties involved wont do some behind the scenes tinkering (as is common around here). I also don't consider him to be an exceptional driver, and I think he knows this (and maybe feels he wont do the platform justice). There are PLENTY viper owners around here who will satisfy the HC owner, if need be.

And a sentence is a speech? Trap speed has been pretty indicative in my experience for what to expect on the strip. Care to elaborate?

You are taking the reply out of context bro. I stated that I would in fact agree with everything you said if there was no opportunity for your buddy to re-do the race with that HC. Unfortunately, since the opportunity is there for your buddy, I do not agree with your original statement of "everyone is a ****ing troll and a whiney bitch now-days. No sportsmanship what-soever".

As far as the trap speed thing, i guess i will quote what I originally stated.... "Trap speed is not always indicative of who wins a roll race. Fyi."

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
I consistently pull my buddy from a roll and he traps 6mph more than me on our best runs. So id agree with zyborg

paintless302

Established Member
You are taking the reply out of context bro. I stated that I would in fact agree with everything you said if there was no opportunity for your buddy to re-do the race with that HC. Unfortunately, since the opportunity is there for your buddy, I do not agree with your original statement of "everyone is a ****ing troll and a whiney bitch now-days. No sportsmanship what-soever".

As far as the trap speed thing, i guess i will quote what I originally stated.... "Trap speed is not always indicative of who wins a roll race. Fyi."

When i said that everyone is a whiney troll I wasn't referring to anything that was going on in this thread, its more the pages of facebook shit talking that I was flipping through from the involved parties when i saw this pop up here.

I also didn't completely disagree with you, shit happens on the street, I've been on the giving and receiving end of it MANY times. However I will stick to my statement that all things being equal, from my experience, the car with the higher trap speed usually does the walking on the street.

Last edited:

paintless302

Established Member
If two cars were at an optimal spot at all speeds then the results wouldn't change. In the real world this isn't the case though.

For me, 60 mph is a horrible speed and cars that I easily walk from 40-50 will stay with me or pull me if we start at 60.

When my brother and I used to race our Camaros it was a similar effect. They had different transmission gearing and made similar power. On the street they were pretty neck and neck. In the 1/4 mile they trapped about the same, but in the 1/8 mile I had like 3-4 mph on him. This was due to where he had to shift in relation to the beams. Same thing can happen in the 1/4 between two cars.

Once again, I'm not talking about the Viper and Hellcat in this race, just addressing the blanket idea the that higher trapping car will always win a roll race.

I agree. Its the exception, not the rule though.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
When i said that everyone is a whiney troll I wasn't referring to anything that was going on in this thread, its more the pages of facebook shit talking that I was flipping through from the involved parties when i saw this pop up here.

I also didn't completely disagree with you, shit happens on the street, I've been on the giving and receiving end of it MANY times. However I will stick to my statement that all things being equal, from my experience, the car with the higher trap speed usually does the walking on the street.

All in all, i have no problem as you are doing the right thing and having your buddy's back. I just really wanna see another roll race between two badass cars.

Not that your buddy has anything to prove but just to end all drama and end all doubt and debate, he could choose to race again, while providing us all with awesome entertainment.

Believe it or not, i also thing he has the race in the bag should he manage to avoid mistakes while driving up against the HC.

t01lightning

Established Member

I love how many on here have no idea and have never ridden in a viper especially an 08 up, They are the only cars to drag c6z's which hit pretty hard also from a roll. The hellcat is mean and from a dig with the auto sure it will hurt a few viper owners feelings but I can promise you this car will not hang with a 134mph viper without a pulley and tune although with those mods if it does it's damn impressive. A tuned exhaust 08 is fast and will pull very hard, just wait until they stick a set of ported stock heads and cam making 700 plus to the wheels on motor now that they can be tuned. It's really hilarious that people just blow off paintless' opinion as he has the most real world experience with these cars, let's chase one of the few viper owners because most kids on here are immature. Also if the viper continues it will be blown next model as it's the flagship car, Ford's gt350 was a pathetic answer to the hellcat.

gazim

Established Member
who calls that a close race when a car missed a gear and still keeps up.... lol viper all the way with driver mod..

89BIRD

Established Member
In roll races, don't both drivers typically hit the loud pedal within a few milliseconds of each other after the 3rd honk? Sounds very defined and consistent, just like how trap speeds are calculated at the end of the 1/4 mile. :shrug:

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Depends a lot on the speed of the roll. A 40 may be right in the hellcat's powerband and at peak torque in 2nd where as 40 is too low of an rpm for the viper in the 2nd gear, but too high of rpm if he stayed in 1st. So he's starting at a bad rpm and not a good race for him

The gears and speed I just made up and not specifically what happened in this race but just making a point. Every car has its "sweet spot"

In other words higher trap speed doesn't always equal a win from a roll. Gearing and the right starting speed/rpm are huge and can result in the "slower" car losing

And that's considering no other issues of slow/missed shifts or spinning or anything like that. A clean run doesn't automatically mean a good comparison of trap speed and who's faster

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread