Vid of my C5 Vette: Huge Cam, Headers, O/R Xpipe, SLP Loudmouth

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Well i sold my Kenne Bell cobra and ended up with a C5, car was stock when I bought I've done a little with it since

Here is a quick vid I figured I'd throw on here. Let me know what you think.

[youtube_browser]WXQVmfYJuD8[/youtube_browser]

venomws6

Established Member
Sounds mean... :rockon: now just add a nitrous kit to be safe if you ran into another KB Cobra... :lol1:

Trex is 242/249 608 612 110lsa if I remember .

lxboy

Established Member
sounds nice, but who in their right mind would sell a KB 04 cobra for a c5 hatch??

i see beautiful C5Zs goin for under 20 with mods which would make sense. Hopefully you got a great deal, excuse the rant im just a snob for the FRCs knowing how low their selling for and what an excellent platform the car is.

A regular C5, hell i pass 20 on my way in to work, usually driven by women.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is one nasty lope! I'm sure you attract a lot of stop light attention. :) Can you do an in-car video of a street drive and post it up?

I like your Vette a lot!

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Sounds sick. How do you like it compared to the cobra?

I ended up in the exact same position as you. I couldnt afford my 04 KB Cobra (2.8H e85 put down close to 700) So I Sold it.

I had about 15 grand to spend and ended up buying a 98 C5 with lots of goodies (it has a messed up sleeved ls1 in it, but had other crap like CCW wheels etc) Bought it for 9 grand. Now just recently did a ls3 swap in it, and I'm pretty happy.

However I still miss my cobra, but maybe that will change once I add a jug.

sounds nice, but who in their right mind would sell a KB 04 cobra for a c5 hatch??

i see beautiful C5Zs goin for under 20 with mods which would make sense. Hopefully you got a great deal, excuse the rant im just a snob for the FRCs knowing how low their selling for and what an excellent platform the car is.

A regular C5, hell i pass 20 on my way in to work, usually driven by women.

Whats the big deal if its a hatch or a FRC? (besides small looks) There isnt much difference really, besides small stuff abit of extra weight/extended rear glass. Not to mention you can find a reg hatch for dirt cheap.

Last edited:

Brandon619

Established Member
Nice video, my first thought upon seeing the video and motor shot was you need to upgrade your air bridge. The stock air bridge is restrictive, you need all the air you can get to feed that big cam!

lxboy

Established Member
Whats the big deal if its a hatch or a FRC? (besides small looks) There isnt much difference really, besides small stuff abit of extra weight/extended rear glass. Not to mention you can find a reg hatch for dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

ya you know small stuff like almost 300lbs, LS6 heads, overall chassis strength. :bash: I mean again not trying to bash, the car is clean and sounds like a monster, you cant go wrong with a corvette of any body style, just that for the price of a C5 plus cam supporting mods he could have easily gotten a z which will hold more value, there arnt 100 of them everywhere you go you know.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Whats the big deal if its a hatch or a FRC? (besides small looks) There isnt much difference really, besides small stuff abit of extra weight/extended rear glass. Not to mention you can find a reg hatch for dirt cheap.

ya you know small stuff like almost 300lbs, LS6 heads, overall chassis strength. :bash: I mean again not trying to bash, the car is clean and sounds like a monster, you cant go wrong with a corvette of any body style, just that for the price of a C5 plus cam supporting mods he could have easily gotten a z which will hold more value, there arnt 100 of them everywhere you go you know.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the FRC in particular or the Z? FRC's came with LS1s in them with ls1 heads, the Z06's came with LS6s. The major differences in hatch vs z06 in the suspension/gearing.

Curb weight of a hatch - 3212
Curb weight of FRC/Z06 - 3130
Weight difference not even 100lb. (thats according to corvetteforums)
On wiki the Z06 lists as only 38lb lighter then the hatch, which is probably false but shows that the weight difference is not drastic.

Chassis strength yes, but chances are you're not going all out drag car anyway so it doesn't matter for a regular street racer.

As far as hold their value I agree, and I do like the look of the side brake ducts, and the mesh in the front bumper. Of course there other small differences in the interior/dash etc and whatever what makes a z06 unique.

But to me (just my opinion purely) if you're going to mod a corvette (stroker/head cam etc) why bother spending extra $ on a Z when you can have a regular model for alot less, and have alot more money to mod!

Not trying to sound like a smartass just stating my opinion!

Last edited:

lxboy

Established Member
I said FRC, but i was referring to the z. Hell an FRC c5 would be sweet, but good luck finding one. And i have seen many a z on the scales none of which came anywhere near 3100lbs. More like 3100 with driver.

My main beef is the commonness. Heres a scenario for ya. You go out and buy an average c5 for 13k. Spend 5k for heads/cam/supporting clutch tune ect. 2 yrs later you go to sell it and guess what, you would be lucky to get 10-12k. Now go find a clean c5z for 18. 2k for longtubes/intake/supporting/clutch/tune. About even in speed and when you go to sell, your going to get about what you paid.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Sounds like it needs to be tuned . That's how my T-rex Trans Am sounded when I was running stock pcm and a bigger hole on the throttle body.

Now that it's tuned it sounds and runs a lot better and doesn't sound like it's about to die after revving or with the A/C on coming to stop.

ZWilson07

Established Member
Sounds like it needs to be tuned . That's how my T-rex Trans Am sounded when I was running stock pcm and a bigger hole on the throttle body.

Now that it's tuned it sounds and runs a lot better and doesn't sound like it's about to die after revving or with the A/C on coming to stop.

^x2. Maybe it was just the way you were revving it, but I agree it "seems" like it needs alittle bit of fine tuning but hard to say without being there.

Never the less, nice vette. Seems like alot are switching over from the cobras to the vette's lately. I must say even though im a ford fan at heart, its not a bad way to go for the money right now.

BayareaSS

Established Member
I said FRC, but i was referring to the z. Hell an FRC c5 would be sweet, but good luck finding one. And i have seen many a z on the scales none of which came anywhere near 3100lbs. More like 3100 with driver.

My main beef is the commonness. Heres a scenario for ya. You go out and buy an average c5 for 13k. Spend 5k for heads/cam/supporting clutch tune ect. 2 yrs later you go to sell it and guess what, you would be lucky to get 10-12k. Now go find a clean c5z for 18. 2k for longtubes/intake/supporting/clutch/tune. About even in speed and when you go to sell, your going to get about what you paid.

No way in hell a h/c c5 is the same speed a bolt on c5z :lol:

lxboy

Established Member
No way in hell a h/c c5 is the same speed a bolt on c5z :lol:

i agree, however a bolt on c5z will go low 120's to your average heads cam c5's mid 120s. Sure a wild h/c package might trap higher, but the ones i see at the track are anywhere from 122-125. A bolton c5z will easily go 120-122. Its funny someone just just posted on pg 1 of pics and vids of a bolt on c5z with a 125 shot of sauce running a h/c/i nitrous c5 hatch and stomping it.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
i agree, however a bolt on c5z will go low 120's to your average heads cam c5's mid 120s. Sure a wild h/c package might trap higher, but the ones i see at the track are anywhere from 122-125. A bolton c5z will easily go 120-122. Its funny someone just just posted on pg 1 of pics and vids of a bolt on c5z with a 125 shot of sauce running a h/c/i nitrous c5 hatch and stomping it.

this

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Car sounds good man! I miss my cammed 2000 Z28 so much. I have a BBC Camaro too, which with 14.0:1 and a .700 lift cam sounds naughty, but something about the sound of a cammed LS1 just sounds like no other.

Users who are viewing this thread