VERY dissatisfied with Kenne Bell product and customer service

bmx9854

Established Member
I've wrote up a bit on my poor installation experience with the KB2.6H for my 03 cobra. So far I've been emailing them for over a week constantly attaching my word.docx, .doc, PDF and they keep telling me that their email/virus protection won't allow them to open up the attachment. This seems a bit phony, what kind of legitimate company can't open up attached documents in emails?! Any suggestions? I think I will try faxing it to them Monday and may even send a copy or two via snail mail with delivery confirmation. I'll put the text below from my document.....

I purchased the 2.6H kit on 7/5/11 for my Cobra and had several fitment/quality issues I’d like addressed and resolved. Particular problems I had that I will go into detail further on are: directions were inconsistent, black and white photographs were hard to see, bolt holes were not tapped completely, incomplete machined surfaces and improper brackets. I also was under the impression that when I ordered the kit and the sales rep asked me how much boost I was going to run, 14 or 15 lbs I told him, that it was going to come with the respective pulley and not the 3.75” 11lb pulley.

Overall the product supplied is good and has excellent drivability. To go into the particulars of my issues I’ll start methodically as they arose through the supplied directions. I understand that the kit is an aftermarket product and would require minor tweaking to each vehicle application but these are beyond that.

Beginning with step 21 – Remove (4) 10 mm bolts, the bolts here on the supercharger intake plenum were 13 mm.

Step 29 – Remove (2) 8 mm bolts on the fuel rail on each side of the supercharger, they are 10 mm bolts.

Step 32 – Remove bolts in lower manifold to head using 8 mm socket, these bolts were 10 mm.

Step 35 – Remove (4) bolts in intercooler water adapter, (3) 8 mm and (1) 10 mm, there were (3) 10 mm and (1) 8 mm.

Step 48 – Apply thin bead of supplied 518 gasket maker (not too thick). Install intercooler to Kenne Bell discharge using factory bolts. Here is one of the more significant issues; when putting the factory bolts back in, the two forward most bolt holes were not tapped all the way through. I had to cut a few threads off of these bolts so they screwed all the way in. After bolting up the intercooler to the supercharger I noticed a bag of small 3/8” long bolts that were the same diameter and pitch as the bolts I just put in and once I completed the entire installation, these bolts were still unused and never mentioned in the installation instructions. I believe that they were intended for this step but cannot confirm and it bothers me that something so integral to the assembly of the kit has been left out. Taking a photograph was difficult but you can see at the bottom of the hole that there are no threads here.

gallery_13658_702_100308.jpg

Step 49 – Clean lower manifold again with carb cleaner. It is a good idea to apply 518 to both sides of gasket. Install gasket.
Step 50 – Position lower correctly. Recheck lower PCV hose to be sure it hasn’t slipped off of rear. These two steps (49 and 50) need to be switched, the instructions show step 49 as putting the gasket between the lower manifold and the supercharger in. Then step 50 shows the lower manifold being put in and doesn’t even mention the intake gasket between the cylinder head and lower manifold.

Step 62 – Install throttle body using new gasket and 8 mm socket wrench and OEM bolts. Torque to 7 ft/lbs. All four bolt holes were not tapped properly; I had to cut several threads off of these bolts as well.

Step 76 – Install engine solenoid cluster using 5 mm hex key and (2) M6x8 socket head cap screw (SHCS). The supplied bracket that is bolted onto the supercharger was about an inch too low to fit the engine solenoid cluster. Please see the photos below as a comparison to the original height of the cluster from the bottom of the stock eaton to the Kenne Bell. The eaton is almost 5.5” high and the Kenne Bell is closer to 4.5”.

gallery_13658_702_80761.jpg

gallery_13658_702_1947621.jpg

gallery_13658_702_2467918.jpg

There was one spot on the front of the blower where is says ‘Kenne Bell’ that was not completely machined off. Please see the photo below.

gallery_13658_702_3904298.jpg

Lastly to note, the idle air control vale sits too high and when the hood is closed it makes contact with the hood liner and has damaged it as you can see in the photo below. There was nothing noted about hood clearance modifications or issues in the instructions so I don’t know what to think about this problem, too!

gallery_13658_702_3260718.jpg

None of these issues were deal breakers for me otherwise I would have mailed it back but I honestly expected better from an expensive supercharger kit from a high profile name like Kenne Bell. I still need to purchase a boost-a-pump, would like the blower pulley that I had believed I was getting to make 15 lbs of boost with tool and would like the appropriate bracket that holds the engine solenoid cluster at the correct height. I hope that the installation instructions can be neatened up for others who purchase the kit to avoid the issues I ran into. I have faith that these issues will be resolved in a timely manner and allow me to put the finish touches to my Kenne Bell set up.

JP_Stang

Established Member
It almost looks like they gave you the wrong unit for your car! All the bolt head sizes were wrong and nothing lines up. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Not sure wrong bolt size would get me that upset?

Not fully tapped holes would fire me up though. Sure you are using all the right bolts in the right places?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
OP- I feel your pain as when I had my KB (I switched to procharger) I had to retap three locations, and one of them was completely offset from the hole. and yes they're customer service has been getting better than it used to be IMO, so keep trying to get through to them. however don't get hung up on it because you're fixing it yourself so what are they really gonna do for you over the phone? just accept that hardly ever is an aftermarket part truly a bolton.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Man the whipple just keeps getting better and better of a choice! Sorry to hear of your problems, you are not the only one who has had issues.

Bw281

Banned
Sorry to hear about your problems. Of course it's a big issue given all the money he spent to buy a new sc and the fact that he wants to get it on and running. GL and hope the problems get worked out.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
There customer service or lack there of is the reason i went with vortech for my 2V. They suck!

bmx9854

Established Member
I managed to get the whole document including pictures in the actual email so they WILL see it! I'll keep this updated, hopefully I hear back from them tomorrow. This is such a headache....

NestorGT

Established Member
Wow is all I can say bro, after spending all that money and they still fail to take care of a customer! They know they have a decent product and people will buy no matter what. That's really the main reason why I went with Tork Tech, yeah they are slower on there delivery of the product but they at least care to make things right for there customers. Hopefully all turns out well for ya, just keep at it. A friend of mine just went thru a similar issue with them, they sent him the wrong pulleys and they didnt even appoligize. Then he ordered a new 2.3L blower and they didnt tell him of all of the other things he would nee to make it compatible with his old KB set up. So good luck, hope it all turns out for the best!

bmx9854

Established Member
Got an email back yesterday and whom ever sent it didn't seem to mention or care of my issues. I decided to call them up and talk to the tech line and he actually was understanding of problems. I was told that Jim Bell and some other R&D guys there were going to look at the kit and remeasure a bunch of dimensions to see why I had such a tough time with the kit. I ordered a BAP also and I was slightly discounted. But then today I got an email from Jim Bell saying that "we [kenne bell] are looking at each and every suggestion." It pays off to let them know whats wrong, they even said to me that it's impossible to resolve issues when no one lets them know. Oh and the BAP was going to be shipped to me at no charge now :)

rbrand9935

Established Member
Kenne Bell Blower Problems

I have decided to take the plunge and buy a Blower to replace my Eaton Unit. I had asked a few of my Mustang Bro's for their take and it was eithet Whipple or the new Lysholm Vortech Unit. I had received pricing and have decided on the Whipple. the reason Kenne Bell wasn't in the Mix?
Quality. Everyone I asked told me about the quality issues they have either seen or heard and I am big on quality especially after forking over 4 G's to go fast. I hope Kenne Bell is listening as I saw many a Mustang Cobra and GT 500 with their units but also heard many horror stories as a result of quality.

Just my 2 Cents:rockon:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
First I'd like to say sorry about the issues.

Second, That was a very nicely written post. Members take note on how to post a problem without "Vendor Bashing"

Lastly, I do not like cross threads (Same thread in 2 sections) but you may copy your post and put a new one in their section or I can move this one.

When you were having issues contacting them did you try through here with PMs or anything?
They are a vendor so you can post in their section and or use PMs here and they should get it.

Nicely done.

bmx9854

Established Member
First I'd like to say sorry about the issues.

Second, That was a very nicely written post. Members take note on how to post a problem without "Vendor Bashing"

Lastly, I do not like cross threads (Same thread in 2 sections) but you may copy your post and put a new one in their section or I can move this one.

When you were having issues contacting them did you try through here with PMs or anything?
They are a vendor so you can post in their section and or use PMs here and they should get it.

Nicely done.

Thanks for the kind words. It does make a difference when you don't come off like a dick.

Where did I cross threads? I thought I only posted it here. :shrug:

I considered contacting them through the forum but when I looked in the Kenne Bell section the main guy who set it up/posted hadn't been active for a year or so. It's pretty much all good and well now, gotta go install the BAP now.....before the FPDM or after?! haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread