Vert Guys - Light Bar - Ever worry about hitting your head?

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
So...I love my convertible, but when I bought it, it already had a light bar installed. I think it looks great, but due to my height - 6'4" - and long torso, my head is right next to it, no matter how I position the seat (I actually have extended seat rails already, which actually help me position away from it, but still not ideal).

My thought...or worry...would be a minor fender bender, but where I bust my skull on the light bar as a result of the crash - and, as you know, they are pretty damn hard.

At the end of the day, I don't see myself changing it back to stock, but wanted to see what the opinions of others on here think. Anyone else ever think or worry about this?

Sidebar - If I play my cards right, it might be an excuse to get a new 5.0 coupe in a few years:D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Could happen if you are close enough.

Technically it is just as dangerous as a roll bar that is too close.
I'm a 5'8" little guy so my roll bar is pretty far away while I am helmet-less driving on the street.

Have you got any pics of the head to bar closeness?

Actually, you should be able to tell all by yourself if it's too close.
I suspect you already know it is.

Normal DOT restraints can not prevent a fairly significant amount of sideways shoulder and head movement. A fairly light side hit, to the drivers side, that you would walk away from in a regular car, might tag your noggin hard enough for a fatal brain injury.

You are right to at least be aware of it and to also be making plans to eliminate the risk.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
im also 5' 8" but i will go on record saying my CDC light bar saved my ass...literally in a terrible accident last year in my now deceased 04 black cobra vert...i was ejected from my seat after getting ran out of my lane and spinning out hitting the front right side of my car against a median barrier...i had my seatbelt on but the stock seat BROKE and i was ejected into the lightbar and hit my shoulder knocking me into the back seat...if the bar wasnt there i would have ended up on the highway...possibly not here typing this story either...i sent a letter to CDC and they sent me a FREE light bar for my current OW cobra vert...real standup company. I also walked away with a bump on my shoulder and some discomfort....was back in the gym the next day lifting too....keep the lightbar if you can.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Im 6'2 and put my seat all the way back plus i lean it so far back i had to remove the seat belt strap loop on the seat. Other wise it would hit the light bar. I have no problems and never would remove the bar. I included my photo of the car with the Saleen cover I really like the look. But do what you like to look at thats the point of the whole car is to have fun with it.

Home07.jpg

Last edited:

jcveron

Established Member
Im 6'2 and put my seat all the way back plus i lean it so far back i had to remove the seat belt strap loop on the seat. Other wise it would hit the light bar. I have no problems and never would remove the bar. I included my photo of the car with the Saleen cover I really like the look. But do what you like to look at thats the point of the whole car is to have fun with it.

Home07.jpg

you my friend are lucky

Users who are viewing this thread