Vehicles That Disappoint You???

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Remember the guy who came on here ranting and raving about how Ford screwed him by allowing him to buy a 2010 GT and then announcing the 11 5.0? Everyone pointed out the info had been in the public for months.

Not exactly. The forced emissions resulting in a hastily slapped together EGR setup is what gave them a bad wrap. EGR would clog, overheat and lift the heads. There's a reason the 6.0 in school busses, etc didn't have the same problems. It wasn't designed to run with emissions. People were used to the 7.3 and low maintenance it required. If you didn't maintain them well, they would be a PITA.

That said my 7.3 disappointed me way more than either of my 6.0's. That thing ate cam sensors like candy, turned like a 757, and seemed to kill batteries once a year (yay commercial account warranty).

Had a 13' Ram 1500 as a rental while injectors were being done on my 7.3. Thing had 5000 miles on it and on dirt roads squeaked and rattled like no other. To top it off it got a flat and either someone before or just the crap drop system for the spare, it rounded out as soon as I began lowering it. Took two pipe wrenches and a wire cutter to get the damn spare down. I was ready to set that thing on fire.

I think I vaguely recall that guy with the 2010 3V GT.....that’s just the breaks, the enemy of good is better :D

MG01GT

Established Member
My 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT 8 was hot garbage. While the motor was solid the transmission was a dumpster fire. Always shifted at odd times. Not mention the highway gas mileage was straight not ok for a "modern" platform. Who knows maybe it was just me, but I'd never own one again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My 03 Cobra Convertible was kind of disappointing. I bought it in 09 right after College and thought it was badass, and it was. When I wasn't listening to the great sounds it made, it was hearing dash creaks, had "the vibe" drive line vibration, terrible headlights, top leaked water (fixed that), and those 10th seats let you slide around. Then other stupid shit would happen, the electric fan ate itself on a hot day and sent a plastic shard through the factory radiator, rear corner window motor failure, lost a tweeter. I owned it from 40 to 44k.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I’ve been blessed with owning a lot of different cars over the years. To me a few stand out as disappointing.

My 04 e46 M3. I bought it new, it was a 6-speed manual... it was bar none the most fun to drive car I’ve ever owned....BUT... it had lots of issues. I owned it two and a half years and it spent a ton of time at the dealership getting fixed. Lots of minor issues that kept reoccurring. Eventually I traded it on a new C6 Z06.

My 01 Prowler. I rented one in Cali for a week and loved the attention and open air fun. When I bought mine, I quickly realized that I didn’t fit in it so well. Sure it got tons of attention, but after a while the car had issues. The car wasn’t meant to be driven, just looked at. The more I drove it the more issues I had. Eventually I traded it on the aforementioned M3.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Shortblock yes.

Timing components and oil pump? Nope. M6GForums has people all over it disintegrating stock oil pump gears and timing chain parts.
I guess I'll have to make sure I buy one that already had that stuff upgraded then if that's what I decide to get, thanks.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
My 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT 8 was hot garbage. While the motor was solid the transmission was a dumpster fire. Always shifted at odd times. Not mention the highway gas mileage was straight not ok for a "modern" platform. Who knows maybe it was just me, but I'd never own one again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What was your highway mileage? I get 21/22 on the highway, which i think is good for what the car is. Did your car receive the TSB transmission flash?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, the more I research the 14/15+ Silverados the more disappointed I get lol.
From afm causing lifter failures to the chevy shake.

I had decent hopes at first

Dusten

Established Member
Shortblock yes.

Timing components and oil pump? Nope. M6GForums has people all over it disintegrating stock oil pump gears and timing chain parts.
I thought that was a function of rpm but upping power

Man, the more I research the 14/15+ Silverados the more disappointed I get lol.
From afm causing lifter failures to the chevy shake.

I had decent hopes at first
I think you see it more frequently on the forums than in real life.

I had a 15 tahoe and we put 50k on it with zero issues.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Since we're also talking about cars we don't own, I have to throw in the upcoming 2019 Audi S6. If the few videos I've seen are accurate, it's going to be a stinking turbo V6! No more V8! That's extremely disappointing. I guess I can go ahead and scratch that one off my wish list.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Easy 96-98 NPI Mustang GT. Had a 96 slow as balls bought it in 2005 right before graduating H.S. Nice car but slow as all get out. Neighbors hated me BBK O/R X and SLP LM1’s dumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't remember but the NPI was the head swap that was done to those cars to waken it up, right?

2KBlackGT

Established Member
I can't remember but the NPI was the head swap that was done to those cars to waken it up, right?

PI was the swap and made them faster than the 99-04 GT for some reason. Never really looked into why that was.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
My daughter bought a GMC Acadia. It was in the shop more than on the road.

Me personally, a Triumph TR4A. There were few parts to it but they all eventually wore out.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Dodge anything...way too many horrible experiences.
2013 Ford Focus. Wife wanted it, I bought it. Should have known better...
1994 to 1998 Mustang. I rode in a stock one. Never ever been in one from tbose years since.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Better port design.

On the head right?
Were the 96-98 blocks different or something cause it still doesn't make sense that i could put 99-04 GT heads/cams on a 96-98 GT and be faster than the 99-04 GT the heads/cams came off of.

BJCobra99

Established Member
On the head right?
Were the 96-98 blocks different or something cause it still doesn't make sense that i could put 99-04 GT heads/cams on a 96-98 GT and be faster than the 99-04 GT the heads/cams came off of.
The compression is different. 96-98 PI swaps have around 1 point more compression than stock 99-04 GT's.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread