Vacation a little sour now.....

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
There was another thread about the best excuse to use... try, "all the other cars were speeding, it's more dangerous to be going a different speed".

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
We are required, by law, to stop the 3rd vehicle in a speeding pack. It's in the manual... 3rd page, second paragraph.

I woulda swore though, that the fourth paragraph states that you have to have your trooper hat on at a perfect 15 degree downangle, otherwise the traffic stop is null and void? :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have a question in relevence to this, because I find myself doing the exact thing that the OP does.

If i'm on the interstate, and see a group of cars traveling faster than the posted speed limit, I often find myself tagging along with them. I always thought that if it came down to it, the leader of the pack would be the one who is pulled over... Am I wrong? How does the officer determine who exactly to pull over?

Low hanging fruit.

We are required, by law, to stop the 3rd vehicle in a speeding pack. It's in the manual... 3rd page, second paragraph.

I thought that was only on a Tuesday and following a weekend where your mother-in-law visited your house.

Care to share a picture, or a link?

Yes, here :fart:

They see me trollin', they hatin', try to catch me ridin'dirty...........:burnout:

Ridin Dirty, yo.

in your scenario you are making some huge assumptions. when it comes down to it the cops can, will, and have pull anyone over in the line that suits their fancy. Like everything else if you are going to play, you better be prepared to pay regardless of where you are in line

Unless, it is a Saturday in a month that ends in Y or E.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I have a question in relevence to this, because I find myself doing the exact thing that the OP does.

If i'm on the interstate, and see a group of cars traveling faster than the posted speed limit, I often find myself tagging along with them. I always thought that if it came down to it, the leader of the pack would be the one who is pulled over... Am I wrong? How does the officer determine who exactly to pull over?

I can tell you this,

In a pack of 3 or more all doing the same speed they will pull over the cute blond driving the Corvette.

Ask my wife how she would know this.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I can tell you this,

In a pack of 3 or more all doing the same speed they will pull over the cute blond driving the Corvette.

Ask my wife how she would know this.

Was that her? I'm sorry dude, but she is a hottie! :beer:

djom1cincy

Established Member
maybe a ohio leo can chime in. A friend and I were pulled over on bikes by a sheriff about 10 years ago. My friend was speeding in front of me and the sheriff clocked him. I was a good distance back from him when we passed the leo. The leo pulled us both over and ask for info. He explain that we were both speeding at which time I stated my case. Leo goes to car and comes back with ticket for friend and warning for me. He then states the reason I was getting a warning was he could only ticket I driver at a time. This was a clermont county sheriff. Any truth to this only one speeding ticket at a time?

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
talked to a lawyer today, wont some of you LEO explain this to me, quote from my now attorney " if you were ticked my a sheriff deputy speeding can be re-ticked to a lesser charge but if it was by a state trooper than the only thing that can be done is a reduction in speed to put it at a 9mph violation "

why is it that a state trooper ticket holds more weight than a different officer giving it??

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Probably because State Troopers specialize in traffic enforcement, while for others, it's only a part of the job.

hmmmm :shrug: seemed strange to me, I should have asked him when he said that and I will tomorrow when i talk with him again. I was just relived to hear it was only going to cost me 200 bucks so it didnt hit me until later that there were two sets of rules for reduction on speeding tickets per different officers apparently.

silver03svt

Established Member
maybe a ohio leo can chime in. A friend and I were pulled over on bikes by a sheriff about 10 years ago. My friend was speeding in front of me and the sheriff clocked him. I was a good distance back from him when we passed the leo. The leo pulled us both over and ask for info. He explain that we were both speeding at which time I stated my case. Leo goes to car and comes back with ticket for friend and warning for me. He then states the reason I was getting a warning was he could only ticket I driver at a time. This was a clermont county sheriff. Any truth to this only one speeding ticket at a time?

No truth. The LEO may have gotten your buddy on radar and started to pull out after him as you came buzzing by, therefore, may have visibly seen you speeding, but didn't get an actual speed reading on you. You were just honest enough to pull over with your buddy and caught a lucky break.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I have stopped ten motorcycles at one time and ticketed them all. I have stopped ten eighteen wheelers at one time and wrote them all and have stopped five cars at one time. Who's next?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

No truth. He probably only "checked" your buddy. It wouldn't be "right" to skin you (even if he figured you were speeding)

No truth. The LEO may have gotten your buddy on radar and started to pull out after him as you came buzzing by, therefore, may have visibly seen you speeding, but didn't get an actual speed reading on you. You were just honest enough to pull over with your buddy and caught a lucky break.

This, but now we don't need a radar to "check" your speed, visual is enough for someone properly trained. 10 years ago it would have been needed.

silver03svt

Established Member
No truth. He probably only "checked" your buddy. It wouldn't be "right" to skin you (even if he figured you were speeding)

This, but now we don't need a radar to "check" your speed, visual is enough for someone properly trained. 10 years ago it would have been needed.

Im jealous. In VA we still have to use a "device to accurately display the speed of the violators vehicle".

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I have stopped ten motorcycles at one time and ticketed them all. I have stopped ten eighteen wheelers at one time and wrote them all and have stopped five cars at one time. Who's next?

Since this thread got reasonably off topic and you guys are talking about stopping multiple vehicles at once I've got a question I always wanted to know the answer to:

How exactyl do you go about stopping more than one vehicle at a time when you are approaching from behind? I've seen it done from a forward vantage point but was just wondering about the process from a pursuing standpoint....

Do you speed ahead and then flag them over or what?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Since this thread got reasonably off topic and you guys are talking about stopping multiple vehicles at once I've got a question I always wanted to know the answer to:

How exactyl do you go about stopping more than one vehicle at a time when you are approaching from behind? I've seen it done from a forward vantage point but was just wondering about the process from a pursuing standpoint....

the one time I was pulled over with another car the officer thought we were racing and followed us for quite a ways before pulling along side us (I was behind the corvette) and then turning his lights on. we both got speeding tickets (we were speeding) and when we went to court I kinda grilled the officer as to why he waited so long to pull us over and over a couple of other points. He explained, judge ruled and we paid the fine nad took the points.

silver03svt

Established Member

We can't give away all our secrets.......

Sirhc7897

Established Member
We can't give away all our secrets.......

It wouldn't do me any good anyways.....I'm sporting a 2011 Grand Cherokee (that while suprisingly quick off the line isn't going to be running away from anything on the highway) and a 08 superduty that does good to get out of it's own way after about 40mph....:)

If I'm getting a ticket for anything in the near future it's going to be for going too slow....

Users who are viewing this thread