Vacation a little sour now.....

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Just came back from a mini vacation to Gatlinburg Tn and on the way home came via Interstate 26 / 20 and 95. On the last leg of I20 I was in a little convoy of cars that had been booking it pretty good for a long way at 80 to 90mph ( this is a 70mph zone ). Then over on the left side in a bed of pine trees and too late to slow down he sat and got us, wound up getting me and the car ahead of me. Wrote me up for 90 in a 70, I dont think I was going that fast but thats what I got so....

I know I have to get a lawyer for this, what should I be looking for in terms of a reduction? Would it be possible to get it changed to something that would not affect my insurance like improper equipment? I did the crime now im willing to pay for it.......I know it wont be cheap but Ill fork over whatever to save my ins. I have NO tickets in at least 8 or 9 years. I dont normally speed I was just in a hurry to get home after 3 days with a 18 month old and two 10 year olds at Dollywood In pigeon forge Tn :(

SNCBOOM

Established Member
You probably shouldn't do 20 over the speed limit with 3 kids in the car.

Satyr

Established Member
Just came back from a mini vacation to Gatlinburg Tn and on the way home came via Interstate 26 / 20 and 95. On the last leg of I20 I was in a little convoy of cars that had been booking it pretty good for a long way at 80 to 90mph ( this is a 70mph zone ). Then over on the left side in a bed of pine trees and too late to slow down he sat and got us, wound up getting me and the car ahead of me. Wrote me up for 90 in a 70, I dont think I was going that fast but thats what I got so....

I know I have to get a lawyer for this, what should I be looking for in terms of a reduction? Would it be possible to get it changed to something that would not affect my insurance like improper equipment? I did the crime now im willing to pay for it.......I know it wont be cheap but Ill fork over whatever to save my ins. I have NO tickets in at least 8 or 9 years. I dont normally speed I was just in a hurry to get home after 3 days with a 18 month old and two 10 year olds at Dollywood In pigeon forge Tn :(

Before asking a question like this, you have to remember that nobody else on this forum speeds.

I don't have an actual answer for you, but I know when I had a pretty bad accident about 5 years ago, I was given failure to control and two other charges (can't recall them), and I was able to talk with the prosecutor and they reduced it to a broken taillight, since it was my first offense. You may have as similar outcome if you can talk with the prosecutor. Good luck!

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Before asking a question like this, you have to remember that nobody else on this forum speeds.

I don't have an actual answer for you, but I know when I had a pretty bad accident about 5 years ago, I was given failure to control and two other charges (can't recall them), and I was able to talk with the prosecutor and they reduced it to a broken taillight, since it was my first offense. You may have as similar outcome if you can talk with the prosecutor. Good luck!

I dont really think that would be a option, the citation area is a good 3 hours from me and Its going to be a lot easier just to pay a lawyer to handle this for me. I made the mistake I got caught and now im going to pay for it. If this was local I would try to do something myself but with the distance from home involved its just too far for me. :(

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
You probably shouldn't do 20 over the speed limit with 3 kids in the car.

This!

Not this. :nonono:

oh please.... :rollseyes
This!

Now on topic...

This being the "Donut Shop" we are LEO's. Not defense attorneys. If you have plans to hire an attorney (as you stated already) he/she will provide you with the answers you seek. Generally, we are not included when "deals" are made, we show up if a trial is requested for traffic tickets. If you plea either to the original or reduced charge, you won't see us there.

So are you implying that the Officer/Trooper that wrote you the ticket soured your vacation?

sc98cbra

Established Member
I have a question in relevence to this, because I find myself doing the exact thing that the OP does.

If i'm on the interstate, and see a group of cars traveling faster than the posted speed limit, I often find myself tagging along with them. I always thought that if it came down to it, the leader of the pack would be the one who is pulled over... Am I wrong? How does the officer determine who exactly to pull over?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
We are required, by law, to stop the 3rd vehicle in a speeding pack. It's in the manual... 3rd page, second paragraph.

They see me trollin', they hatin', try to catch me ridin'dirty...........:burnout:

silver03svt

Established Member
I have a question in relevence to this, because I find myself doing the exact thing that the OP does.

If i'm on the interstate, and see a group of cars traveling faster than the posted speed limit, I often find myself tagging along with them. I always thought that if it came down to it, the leader of the pack would be the one who is pulled over... Am I wrong? How does the officer determine who exactly to pull over?

Hint to you sc98cbra......cops have, do, and will continue to pull over multiple vehicles at a time for your scenario, and write them all tickets.

Ask me how I know this.....

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

in your scenario you are making some huge assumptions. when it comes down to it the cops can, will, and have pull anyone over in the line that suits their fancy. Like everything else if you are going to play, you better be prepared to pay regardless of where you are in line

bscarberry

Established Member
Is there reciprocity between those two states? When I was driving back from California a few years back I was doing 110ish through Iowa. I got pulled over and ticketed for 102 in a 65. I ended up paying the ticket (it was only like $135) and it never affected my MI record at all. I think they told me my license would be suspended in Iowa, but it had no negative affect here in MI.

This may help:
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact]Driver License Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

00streetfighter

Established Member

I always answer that question this way..

Me: Have you ever been duck hunting?

Speeder: Yes.

Me: When you see the flock, do you shoot one or do you shoot them all?

Speeder. :dw:

silver03svt

Established Member
Works good with fishing too, and "did you ever catch all the fish?"

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Just out of curiosity, do LEO's and courts take the offense a little more serious when there are kids invovled with the speeding?

00streetfighter

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, do LEO's and courts take the offense a little more serious when there are kids invovled with the speeding?

If the speed or recklessness is great enough it can even be considered child endangerment (which is a felony).

Users who are viewing this thread