13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank you.

Two more questions if you don't mind Nick:
- Is this their third increase?
- How many increase occur in a "normal" year?

6 so far...some models have 1, some models have 3 or 4.

Typically 1-2 per MY per model.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Watched some of Mecum's auction last weekend. I gotta say, if I was looking for a used vehicle for a daily driver, I might go to an auction. There were some pretty good deals to be had on 'normal' vehicles.

Especially this ultra-rare '69 SVT Cobra Vert that sold for $52k.

FD1BEC0E-C3C9-4728-9B5F-046358C551F6.jpeg

AFF33320-58D3-44B1-8BB7-A1BC2BF72244.jpeg

482706F2-8F4B-4FA3-A023-55EABAC4BE29.jpeg

5AD50EA5-D777-450C-AEEC-D8E65803B67A.jpeg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Been saying it for a few months.

The "inventory is low" phenomena completely disappears when people stop buying cars and houses because their money now needs to be focused on paying their adjustable rate on their 2nd that just doubled.... or their fuel bill that rose by $400 per month, or their grocery bill that rose by $300 per month.

Believe it or not, not every American makes $200k per year (sarcasm). Millions of people are finding their financial situations completely changing. We will be in a full on recession as the country stops consuming. I think it's going to be shocking to be honest.

The empty car lots are going to be magically full soon enough.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
What do car dealerships do when most of their used inventory is bought at a higher premium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

The "inventory is low" phenomena completely disappears when people stop buying cars and houses because their money now needs to be focused on paying their adjustable rate on their 2nd that just doubled.... or their fuel bill that rose by $400 per month, or their grocery bill that rose by $300 per month.

Believe it or not, not every American makes $200k per year (sarcasm). Millions of people are finding their financial situations completely changing. We will be in a full on recession as the country stops consuming. I think it's going to be shocking to be honest.

I won't have stock units available until October/November.

What do car dealerships do when most of their used inventory is bought at a higher premium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean?

Are you asking what dealerships do with vehicles that they purchased at higher prices than they're worth?

WVTrakPak

Established Member

I truly believe this is more of a supply line issue than consumer at this point. I have had a 2door Sasquatch ordered since May of 21 and really do not expect it to be here until late 22 if then. I also have clients that are dying for components.

If it were a consumer issue, then Ford profit would be thru the roof and we know it is not. You may be absolutely correct on other consumables though and I agree we have no idea what we are headed for but it aint good!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Dealers are having a hard time finding any inventory to put on the lot. A lot creative staggering of used inventory to make the lot seem full. Chevy dealer has quite a few work trucks, but at $10,000 over MSRP, I think businesses are just ordering and waiting for them elsewhere. Plus, I have heard they do a fine job of pissing people off. Gonna be some shakeout on that front, if inventory ever gets back to normal.

2 years worth of reduced new sales is going to keep things tight for quite a while. The Great Recession just killed the supply of used diesel trucks, same thing all over again. Around here, labor has been so tight for so long, it will have to be a major downturn for firms to let people go. Many firms working undermanned for so long could see quite a downturn just to have demand finally meet actual headcount.

hockeylover86

Established Member
They are going to dip. But they're still going to stay up YOY. They went up 35% last year, probably will drop 15-20%. The lack of new inventory will keep them high.

But there is inventory, its just not at the dealers. There are billions of dollars worth of 99.9% built vehicles just sitting. I am not sure how the automakers are carrying that on their books. Biggest problem for them will be as interest rates rise, and the economy falls, people who ordered but haven't taken delivery will back out. I just wonder what the fallout from this will be.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
But there is inventory, its just not at the dealers. There are billions of dollars worth of 99.9% built vehicles just sitting. I am not sure how the automakers are carrying that on their books. Biggest problem for them will be as interest rates rise, and the economy falls, people who ordered but haven't taken delivery will back out. I just wonder what the fallout from this will be.

Fallout for the manufacturers? Nothing.

Dealers pay the manufacturer before the car shows up to sell...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I truly believe this is more of a supply line issue than consumer at this point. I have had a 2door Sasquatch ordered since May of 21 and really do not expect it to be here until late 22 if then. I also have clients that are dying for components.

If it were a consumer issue, then Ford profit would be thru the roof and we know it is not. You may be absolutely correct on other consumables though and I agree we have no idea what we are headed for but it aint good!

I don't disagree other than to say today it is both. There is massive demand and a massive shortage of supply.

When the demand goes away, even a dwindled supply becomes sufficient--enough to make a marked impact on pricing of "higher end" goods.

Time will tell! I think we're in for a ride.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
There are two things happening here, one is a bottleneck on parts, chips and sub assemblies, the other is increased demand due to a lack of cheap cash cars. This will continue for a while as we completely destroyed our supply chains and China is still struggling with manufacturing and covid issues. We also have a have an increase in demand and a shift in consumer behavior, I believe we will see elevated prices on cars for 2-3 more years.

What troubles me about this is that a working class person could go out and buy a cash car for 2-3K that would be a perfectly serviceable car that could get them from A-B. Now, that same car is 7-8K and as a result they need to take a loan on the car, which they will need to keep because they will be upside down. This dynamic is really hurting the lower end of the economy, making it harder for people to buy cheap cars.

It's impossible to find a 2-3K car, unless you buy something with 200k plus miles.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Also, the European sports car makes are facing a defacto ICE ban by 2025 as a result of emission rule making, not official bans. A lot of models are simply sold out for 2 or 3 years. If the EU makes ICE impossible to sell, hard to see that model available in the USA, they will most likely just kill it off.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
There are two things happening here, one is a bottleneck on parts, chips and sub assemblies, the other is increased demand due to a lack of cheap cash cars. This will continue for a while as we completely destroyed our supply chains and China is still struggling with manufacturing and covid issues. We also have a have an increase in demand and a shift in consumer behavior, I believe we will see elevated prices on cars for 2-3 more years.

What troubles me about this is that a working class person could go out and buy a cash car for 2-3K that would be a perfectly serviceable car that could get them from A-B. Now, that same car is 7-8K and as a result they need to take a loan on the car, which they will need to keep because they will be upside down. This dynamic is really hurting the lower end of the economy, making it harder for people to buy cheap cars.

It's impossible to find a 2-3K car, unless you buy something with 200k plus miles.

The 2-3k car of the future will be a Tesla model 3 with 50 mile range on a used up battery.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The days of $150k gt350rs on BAT are numbered

Those are insane. I do have my eyes on a couple auctions today though.

I think high end cars will stay steady. Too many supply chain issues. Their new offerings are even less than us poor people's choices. Porsche for example is in for a hell of a ride. The plant that makes their wiring harnesses is located in Ukraine.

Ford just announced another mid-year price increase, effective next week.

View attachment 1744924

Looks the Rattler prices are going up.

69.7 months.

As far as negative equity... it's hard to say. People who traded, won't be in any different shape than they would be in normal times, because they were receiving a higher trade value. There will be people who purchased without a trade, and without putting cash down that will be upside down.

It'll definitely be interesting.

Varies by vehicle.

View attachment 1744976

View attachment 1744977

View attachment 1744978

View attachment 1744979

The Mach E increases are rough.

Users who are viewing this thread