USAF PT Test

korizmo

I like Lamp
Established Member
Just did my PT test today actually. Scored a 89. I could have made a 90, but I would rather test every six months to make sure I keep my ass in shape. If you score a 90+ then you don't have to test for a year.

I have a friend that works with me he's 6'4 240lbs of muscle - his waist is a usually a 39, but he can lift some serious weight and he has ok cardio. He failed a few weeks ago for having a 39 1/2 inch waist. He ate a big breakfast so he would have energy for the run. The food failed him..

Last edited:

Graves

Established Member
you can score an 80 with 0 pushups or situps

You can also score a 100 with zero push ups, zero sit ups, and without doing the 1.5 mile run. (basically just getting your waist measured and maxing it out) lol

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I worked with too many Airman Chunk's that complained about PT and waist size. Many of them pretty much ate all their meals at fast food places and didn't really work out.

Makes me somewhat glad that I was single all through my enlistment. Here was my general daily weekday schedule [most days if I wasn't training or deployed] as I remembered (not including meals, which was 95% at the chowhall):
  1. Be at work by 7:30 AM
  2. Drink 3 large mugs of coffee/take Vivarin as needed
  3. Have the shakes from caffeine withdrawal by 3:30 PM
  4. Get off work at 4:30 PM
  5. Get home - pass out
  6. Wake up at 6:00-6:30 PM, go to gym by around 7:00-7:30 PM
  7. Lift weights, play basketball/racquetball until gym closes at 9
  8. Take shower, go out
  9. Get home at 2:00-4:00 AM - pass out
  10. Start back at 1
Let's just say I had no issues with staying skinny. Too bad I don't have the same "problems" anymore. :(

Marc

Established Member

True but you would still fail the PT test. Any one failure in any of the waste, situps, pushups, or run consititutes a overall failure. Case in point, last week my guy failed for sit-ups. His mile and a half was just over 10 minutes.

I honestly don't feel for people failing the PT test. People have known what was expected of them for years...come on.

I am 45 years old.
I have 2 bulging lower disks.
I have a achilles tendon injury since January.

I had 2 profiles and still tested (didn't admit profiles). I scored a 95%. It is not that hard. I know our standards are lower, but I did 55 sit ups, 60 situps, maxed out waste measurement, and ran just under 12:00 if I remember right. My achilles tendon bugged me the whole way and I basically limped in on a jog on the last lap.

markw351

Established Member

You can, but you will still fail because it doesn't meet the mins. I think it's funny to listen to all the excuses of the people that fail. The standard is the standard. It's not a pop quiz. If you go in for your PT test and not know what you need to pass than your an idiot. Your a bigger idiot if you know all year that you don't meet the standard and do nothing about it and then go in and expect to magically pass. I'm 38 years old, just went through an MEB for ankylosing spondylitis which causes pain in my lower back and hips and i scored a 94.2 last month doing 57 push-ups (my max needed) 50 crunches, a 33" waist and 11:22 1.5 mile. I didn't do shit all year except play softball. I started running about 2 months prior to my test. "C'MON MAN"! It's the Air Force PT test it ain't that hard.

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
True but you would still fail the PT test. Any one failure in any of the waste, situps, pushups, or run consititutes a overall failure. Case in point, last week my guy failed for sit-ups. His mile and a half was just over 10 minutes.

I honestly don't feel for people failing the PT test. People have known what was expected of them for years...come on.

I am 45 years old.
I have 2 bulging lower disks.
I have a achilles tendon injury since January.

I had 2 profiles and still tested (didn't admit profiles). I scored a 95%. It is not that hard. I know our standards are lower, but I did 55 sit ups, 60 situps, maxed out waste measurement, and ran just under 12:00 if I remember right. My achilles tendon bugged me the whole way and I basically limped in on a jog on the last lap.

Get'm Chief!

falke401

Established Member
But also remember not everyone naturally is in great shape like some people here. I have a solid diet and work out about 4-5 days a week. I have done this for over 2 years. My last test was an 89.6. Not good, but not bad. Some people can almost never work out and get the same results.

But it is funny listening to all of the people complain that fail the test. They always have some lame excuse. They know the standard and do nothing to meet it.

Marc

Established Member
Get'm Chief!

:lol:

My post was not to brag. My post was to show that the AF PT Test is the easiest test to past in all 4 services.

And prior to my ankle injury, last PT run was 10:47.

I have always made my fitness a priority. Most of it was done on off time. But, I feel for people that can get heavy, but I don't feel for you if you don't lose the weight--most of us have been there done that. I was at 227 lbs at 5'11, a Fatty! I lost all that weight back in 2005 and haven't put it back on. But, even then, my fat ass could pass the test. At least I admin when I am Fat where others blame the system.

markw351

Established Member
But also remember not everyone naturally is in great shape like some people here. I have a solid diet and work out about 4-5 days a week. I have done this for over 2 years. My last test was an 89.6. Not good, but not bad. Some people can almost never work out and get the same results.

But it is funny listening to all of the people complain that fail the test. They always have some lame excuse. They know the standard and do nothing to meet it.

But, you know what you need to do to pass....and you do it! That's what i'm talking about. I know i don't need to workout all the time to pass and you know that you do. Most these nuckleheads that fail have no clue. The ones that piss me off are the ones that fail, then we put them in "boot camp" PT sessions where they work with a PTL with all the other failures. They pass their next PT test and then revert back to their old ways and fail the next. Next thing you know they fail 4 times in 24 months then cry when they lose a stripe and blame the PT test and the Air Force. The Air Force is in survival of the fittest mode and it's their standard.

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I don't think the argument is not knowing the standards. But more so how people have a different way of doing a push up/sit up. Going in knowing you can knock out 50 push ups, yet only 28 were counted because you don't do them the right way.

markw351

Established Member
:lol:

My post was not to brag. My post was to show that the AF PT Test is the easiest test to past in all 4 services.

And prior to my ankle injury, last PT run was 10:47.

I have always made my fitness a priority. Most of it was done on off time. But, I feel for people that can get heavy, but I don't feel for you if you don't lose the weight--most of us have been there done that. I was at 227 lbs at 5'11, a Fatty! I lost all that weight back in 2005 and haven't put it back on. But, even then, my fat ass could pass the test. At least I admin when I am Fat where others blame the system.

I didn't think you were bragging. If you read my first post i basically said the same thing you did about the test not being that hard.

markw351

Established Member
I don't think the argument is not knowing the standards. But more so how people have a different way of doing a push up/sit up. Going in knowing you can knock out 50 push ups, yet only 28 were counted because you don't do them the right way.

How many ways can you do a push up? Elbows in or elbows out. Either way you go down to 90* and back up. I have seen people do 50 push ups that wouldn't count as push ups either. Now i have heard stories like you're talking about but i have yet to see someone get" robbed" of a "good" push up.

falke401

Established Member
At our base we can do "practice" PT tests where a civilian evaluator will watch you do your push up and sit ups and tell you if you do them correctly. I never practiced in front of them, but many people should take advantage of this to know where they stand and know if/how much they need to improve. The old "airmen's count" days are gone.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

Know what that means? It means they can only "knock out" 28 pushups.

If anyone thinks the Air Force PT Test is hard, try the NEW Army PT Test:

After 30 Years, Army Takes Fitness Tests to New Levels - FoxNews.com

I'm actually looking forward to it. Our PT test is old and outdated and really has no actual indication of how someone would do in a combat zone. Nor does it prove to be an indicator of overall fitness.

Bring on the new pt test.

clbailey

Established Member
I actually make high 80s on all of mine, I played high school football and 2 years of college football. Im in no means out of shape, but I joined the AIR FORCE so I could do what I love to do, and thats work with my hands. I didn't join because I wished I shoulda joined the Army instead. Im 6' 200 pounds and always do well on my PFTs. I just wish the AF would realize the best generation of maintainers weren't ever worried with all the extra bull shit that the AF throws on top of 5, 12 hour work days.

yelostang

Established Member
I actually make high 80s on all of mine, I played high school football and 2 years of college football. Im in no means out of shape, but I joined the AIR FORCE so I could do what I love to do, and thats work with my hands. I didn't join because I wished I shoulda joined the Army instead. Im 6' 200 pounds and always do well on my PFTs. I just wish the AF would realize the best generation of maintainers weren't ever worried with all the extra bull shit that the AF throws on top of 5, 12 hour work days.

I don't think the mentality of the Air Force will ever change. It's run by officers that come from an ops background, and from my experience they don't give a shit about the maintenance guys that make their toys work.

Here is a great example:

There was a deployment down south and some of my guys went. They get there and immediately the ops guys (O's and E's) separate. The op's guys go to a 5-star hotel and are living it up while the maintenance guys are living in these large chicken coops at some air field. The excuse was something like "we need to keep a low profile down here". As always, the guys ended up making the best out of a bad situation. They "acquired" an conditioning unit and built up the coop so it would stay cool.

My step-dad did both maintenance and ops and he told me to get into flying. He said the treatment was night and day. I didn't listen to him because I wanted to get some skills I could use on the outside.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
LOL

When I was in Tech School (I guess it's called AIT now), I did it at Fort Belvoir, VA. We were surrounded by Army trainees, and we lived in the barracks with Navy and Marine trainees as well (Defense Mapping School).

What's funny to me about what you said is that my old commandant (TSgt.) pushed the shit out of us for PT, likely more than what "normal" USAF trainees in USAF bases do. We suspected that our sarge had a bet going with the Marines' Gunny that we can do what they did.

After that, going to a normal duty station, I was shocked at how relatively easy it was to pass physical testing compared to what we had during my months of training at an Army base.

When's the last time you were at Ft Belvoir, VA? I work their now as a DOD civilian. Things have changed alot just in the 2 years I've been working here.

Users who are viewing this thread